What is there about the CB1100 that you don't like, or wish were different?

vito_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm still hoping to get to take a demo ride on a CB1000 as soon as the weather improves and my dealer brings one on the floor (as he promised me he is doing), but I wonder what about this bike is not to your liking. No bike is totally perfect, and asking this question might be helpful to me in getting a better understanding of the pro's and con's of this model.

Thanks for any responses.
 
vito_imp said:
I'm still hoping to get to take a demo ride on a CB1000 as soon as the weather improves and my dealer brings one on the floor (as he promised me he is doing), but I wonder what about this bike is not to your liking. No bike is totally perfect, and asking this question might be helpful to me in getting a better understanding of the pro's and con's of this model.

Thanks for any responses.
1) rather small fuel tank on my 2016 Canadian model.

2) that there is no OEM pannier solution that could be installed with the original rear carrier in place, and that would not require relocation of rear turn signals.

3) Battery removal is too complicated. A motorcycle used in a cold climate with the likelyhood of several months in winter storage (especially unheated storage!) must have its battery removed. That this requires messing with the tight space under the tools/first-aid kit storage casette (which must itself be first removed!), was a rather poor design decision.

And that leaves the items 4 to n (where n approaches infinity) that I like a lot.
 
I love everything about it. Sometimes I wish it had 20 more hp and a sixth gear, but otherwise it is motorcycling perfection.

Oh, the stock tires are terrible.
 
The seat on my 2011 CB1100 is very uncomfortable after an hour or so.
 
I wished that I waited on a later year for a 6 speed transmission. The ergonomics could be a little more user friendly. But love,love , love the look of the 2013 ,prettiest bike I still drool over it when I walk into my garage.
 
The seat is good for commutes and short rides. Beyond two to three hours, I'm wishing for a little wider, and more firm. I'm 5' 10" and the seat doesn't support when I want to lean into the turns.

The four US gallon tank looks good, but I am spoiled with having ridden 100K Miles with seven gallons in the ST1100's tank. Out here in the prairie, it is nice to not have fuel worries.

Otherwise, I LOVE THIS BIKE! It does everything nicely. It looks great. It is smooth, quiet, feels light, uncluttered, and is efficient. It came OEM the way I would have modified a 80's bike. Did I say " I love this bike?"
Jim
 
Not like?

* Seat for me feels hard after 90 minutes of riding. But, gotta top-up the fuel tank anyway by that time.
* [Canadian] 4-into-1 exhaust headers are stainless steel. I wished they were double-walled chrome pipes.
* Not a biggie, but will mention: I wished it came with shaft drive.

However, there are so many things to like.
 
Suspension. I have to admit I have a bit of shock envy when I see the upgraded shocks on some of the models outside of the USA. Probably wouldn’t make an ounce of difference to my riding though. I replaced the seat with the equivalent Honda Japanese model and like it much better.
 
i made the testride with a standard....but it was never a option for me bcos no wonderfull doublewall 4in2 exhaust......and after only 30min testride i observed too clear: the saddle would be nothing.......and the DLX /EX have the bigger tank and 6speed....
 
Tires. I wish the tire size was such that there were more easy options. Don’t get me wrong, I like the way it handles and the stock tires. I am not looking for some crazy wide rear race tire, I would just like more options.
 
I absolutely love my 17ex. I do agree about the helmet lock mechanism, I thought it was just me. The bike is a bit heavy, but it is by far my favorite bike I’ve ever owned.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
What don't I like about the CB 1100? Geez I like pretty much everything about this bike. Guess that's why I've bought two of them. The DLX is my favorite iteration, although the 17 ex is growing on me. I think the 13 std looks the sportiest. The 14 dlx looks the most classic. My least favorite is the RS model.

Ok I thought of somethings I don't like, I don't like mis matched side covers and tank on some of the models and I don't like stainless steel headers.

Other than that, I'm good with what Honda did.
 
Raise the seat and ditch the step in it.

Move the rear blinkers to the tail light so luggage can be mounted without worrying about them.

Offer a lighter version of the old Hondaline Sport Fairing.

Make it so I look 20 years younger when I ride it. :D

Some smaller niggles were "fixed" with the 2014 model.
 
Not much to complain about. The plastic sprocket cover and mismatched (color) side covers were my least favored and I have since corrected both with a 2014 DLX sprocket cover and painting the side covers. The rear shocks are not well damped or sprung and I may replace them with Ohlins. Would be nice if tire makers would make a better selection of 18" tires.

Still my favorite bike of all I've owned.
 
I ride a 2013.


What I don't like

1) Silver side covers matched with red tanks. (I replaced them..no longer a dislike)

2) 8,000 miles valve check.

3) Stock seats too hard. (I replaced it...no longer an issue)

Since the 6 speed tranny gets mentioned. I'm the odd man out. Once I heard the 2014 had a 6 speed I was convinced I needed that. Once I rode enough I realized for my style of riding (mostly secondary blacktop and mountain roads with altitude gain of 4,000+ feet in sections) I didn't need it. The 6th gear will keep the RPM's down on the slab rides (which I avoid) and maybe reduce the 'buzziness' in the handle bars that some folks have mentioned in other threads as being susceptible to. I'm apparently immune to the buzz issue and the 6th gear would just have me shifting more. I like the gear spacing of the 5 speed with torque being everywhere for roll on including fifth.
 
The ferret_imp said:
What don't I like about the CB 1100? Geez I like pretty much everything about this bike. Guess that's why I've bought two of them. The DLX is my favorite iteration, although the 17 ex is growing on me. I think the 13 std looks the sportiest. The 14 dlx looks the most classic. My least favorite is the RS model.

Ok I thought of somethings I don't like, I don't like mis matched side covers and tank on some of the models and I don't like stainless steel headers.

Other than that, I'm good with what Honda did.
Same with me.

The 2013 model is the sportiest and in my eyes the bestlooking, though a windshield and saddlebags transform this idea more into a tourer on my CB.

Luckily the color black has matched side covers. And a silver engine, don't like blackend ones.

Yes, Honda build a nice and good motorbike with the CB. I take a motorbike as it is and enjoy it the way it is. Otherwise I won't buy it. So won't change anything substantial but will use some accessoires.

Wisedrum
 
I hate this awful head light on my RS.
It’s the worst light of all my bikes, and the 3 others have „only“ H4
Halogene lamps...
 
Right, so, dislikes...

Seat
Candle for a headlight
Seat
A little heavy
Seat
Would have preferred a colour matched side panel
Seat

...but really just love this bike, makes me grin from ear-to-ear just taking the cover off.
 
Back
Top