What is it!?

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm still amazed every time someone comes up to me and asks; "what is it?".

Honda seems to have done a poor job of promoting this bike to the general motorcycling public.

Sunday I went for a ride and stopped for coffee. A very excited fellow motorcycle enthusiast walked up to me and asked (you guessed it...) "what is it?".

He really like my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe... I do too for that matter.

TINK

 
I find it makes for great conversation...the questions I get asked are many: what is it and what year is it, and its in great shape-how old is it...I could go on-but the CB is certainly is a conversation starter..
as a matter of fact I was on a ride yesterday and stopped to admire a nice bike on the side of the ride...owner came along and we chatted. turned out if I remember the year correctly-it was a 1984 , Kawi "widow maker" 1100. all original and looking great. Retro bikes are a thing of beauty-and the CB1100 is the king of them all.
 
jrns_imp said:
I find it makes for great conversation...the questions I get asked are many: what is it and what year is it, and its in great shape-how old is it...I could go on-but the CB is certainly is a conversation starter..
as a matter of fact I was on a ride yesterday and stopped to admire a nice bike on the side of the ride...owner came along and we chatted. turned out if I remember the year correctly-it was a 1984 , Kawi "widow maker" 1100. all original and looking great. Retro bikes are a thing of beauty-and the CB1100 is the king of them all.
I had a guy come up to me while I was parking the DLX at a local mall and ask "Is that a restoration?". When I told him that the bike was brand new he was shocked. I don't get too many questions about the CB around here. I'll bet 99% of the bikes are Harley's, and if the bike is not a cruiser people look at you like your strange. It's great being a little different, keeps em on their toes.:thumbsup:
 
Did you take that picture yourself Tink? Amazing if so.

I've gotta say that I'm not confronted with any kind of speculations or even interest when I'm riding my bike around (which I do a fair amount of). I live in Chicago where Harley's are king around here, then sportbikes. I bring this up because I see a lot of threads about people being interested/curious about the bike, but I haven't seen any of it hahah
 
specialist8_imp said:
Did you take that picture yourself Tink? Amazing if so.

I've gotta say that I'm not confronted with any kind of speculations or even interest when I'm riding my bike around (which I do a fair amount of). I live in Chicago where Harley's are king around here, then sportbikes. I bring this up because I see a lot of threads about people being interested/curious about the bike, but I haven't seen any of it hahah
it might be the area...some areas different than others ..not sure?
stopped at a light tonight and a guy walking by hollars "what year is your bike-its in great shape" i flip my visor up and say 2014...and he looks at me perplexed...lol ..i really do get that a lot. i get a chuckle out of it..
 
On my recent Colorado trip, I was asked about mine several times a day. Almost everyone that asked was expecting a tale about how I lovingly restored the 70s/80s bike to near perfection. :D

One guy was sitting on a bench in Silverton, CO when I pulled up. He kept staring and finally told me that he'd owned a lot of old CBs in his day, but couldn't quite place what year my bike was. He was pretty surprised to find out it was a '13. As I moved down the street, I could hear the guy yell at each of his buddies as they came out of a nearby restaurant. "Hey ____, guess what year this bike is!".
 
Thread starter
specialist8_imp said:
Did you take that picture yourself Tink? Amazing if so.

I've gotta say that I'm not confronted with any kind of speculations or even interest when I'm riding my bike around (which I do a fair amount of). I live in Chicago where Harley's are king around here, then sportbikes. I bring this up because I see a lot of threads about people being interested/curious about the bike, but I haven't seen any of it hahah
Thank you, specialist8. Yes, that's my work. I must give credit to Nikon and my 70-200mm f2.8 lens on my D700, it's an amazing combination.

TINK
photosbytink.com
 
Jrns, must be the location for sure.

Tink, must be a solid combination for sure as the output is magazine quality.
 
Very nice, what did you do with the rear shocks? The wat the red is picked up really rounds out the bike's color.
 
Thread starter
southwend_imp said:
Very nice, what did you do with the rear shocks? The wat the red is picked up really rounds out the bike's color.
Picked up the rear shocks from a fellow cb1100forum.com member. They are IKON (a/k/a KONI) out of Australia. Ikonsuspension

I also put RaceTech springs in the front forks > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/

Also have a pair of IKON shocks (and fork springs) on my 1979 BMW R100S, a/k/a PROJECT-S > http://www.photosbytink.com/project-s/
 
TINK_imp said:
southwend_imp said:
Very nice, what did you do with the rear shocks? The wat the red is picked up really rounds out the bike's color.
Picked up the rear shocks from a fellow cb1100forum.com member. They are IKON (a/k/a KONI) out of Australia. Ikonsuspension

I also put RaceTech springs in the front forks > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/

Also have a pair of IKON shocks (and fork springs) on my 1979 BMW R100S, a/k/a PROJECT-S > http://www.photosbytink.com/project-s/
Picked up the rear shocks from a fellow cb1100forum.com member. They are IKON (a/k/a KONI) out of Australia. Ikonsuspension

I also put RaceTech springs in the front forks > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/

Also have a pair of IKON shocks (and fork springs) on my 1979 BMW R100S, a/k/a PROJECT-S > http://www.photosbytink.com/project-s/

Tink, that R100S looks amazing!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
[/QUOTE]

Tink, that R100S looks amazing!!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It's a hoot to ride... talk about Old School; brakes are from the stone ages ;)

TINK
 
What awesome looking bikes! Great work! I always fancy some day I will find a Honda dream to put back together, but I'm excited to dig in first with the CB.
 
No conversation about the CB1100 yet, but some guy chatted me up on my SR400 (2015 model). Thought it was a restoration!

Love the old school UJM style!!!!
 

Tink, that R100S looks amazing!!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It's a hoot to ride... talk about Old School; brakes are from the stone ages ;)

TINK
[/QUOTE]
You mean like this?
 
That would be really funny with roundels on it
 
It's actually rare when I don't get asked something about my bike when I go out for a ride. The most common question is "What year is that?" I've been asked this question at stop lights, and even while driving at 35 mph (from the window of a moving pick-up truck). I live in San Diego.
 
That was the bike that a number of us young guys lusted after when we were in the Navy back in the 70s. Couldn't afford a BMW though. Yours sure looks good!
 
Back
Top