What I need to know about the CB1100...

Headbanger02_imp said:
I like this place.....even if the pictures cost me money....someday I will learn how to post pictures so I can return the favor...:beerchug:
Photobucket is free and easy. Take your pics with a digi cam. Download them on to your computer. Upload them to Photobucket. Then you can post them anywhere!
 
:rofl: seriuosly I am laughing so hard...thanks I needed that. Who says you can't have fun around this place?
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: seriuosly I am laughing so hard...thanks I needed that. Who says you can't have fun around this place?
I'm sitting here laughing... and my wife is sitting over there wondering what is so funny...:rofl: Hey... she has the news on... that's not funny.
 
The ferret_imp said:
And here I thought Spaceman referenced living in Florida near cape Canaveral
Partly true, but mostly because I worked at KSC in Launch Control from STS-2 to the Challenger diaster. A very non-glamourous job on the second floor sending telemetry data to the Firing Rooms a couple floors up. I did get to do "safety walkdowns" which included crawling around the launch pads, the VAB, and one time, Columbia's flight deck. Needless to say; it was a hash-free environment...
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
And here I thought Spaceman referenced living in Florida near cape Canaveral
Partly true, but mostly because I worked at KSC in Launch Control from STS-2 to the Challenger diaster. A very non-glamourous job on the second floor sending telemetry data to the Firing Rooms a couple floors up. I did get to do "safety walkdowns" which included crawling around the launch pads, the VAB, and one time, Columbia's flight deck. Needless to say; it was a hash-free environment...
Partly true, but mostly because I worked at KSC in Launch Control from STS-2 to the Challenger diaster. A very non-glamourous job on the second floor sending telemetry data to the Firing Rooms a couple floors up. I did get to do "safety walkdowns" which included crawling around the launch pads, the VAB, and one time, Columbia's flight deck. Needless to say; it was a hash-free environment... Did you see "Gravity"? If so what did you think of it? Also "Marooned" and "2001" are good space movies. Younger people these days who didn't grow up with a space mission happening every other week don't even know what outer space is supposed to look like, though.

While "Gravity" had the benefit of modern digital technology I still feel "2001: A Space Odyssey" sets the bar for realism.

The astronauts who watched it back in the day made the same comments, it was the most realistic depiction of outer space.

Maybe "Gravity" will get some more interest and support for our space program before the Chinese colonize Mars.:rofl:
 
I troubleshoot technology for a living. Very stressful. For some reason I've landed myself here and I think it's because of the toned down use of tech.
Heck, Honda could probably make a skateboard that would start a new trend.
 
RM: my take on "Gravity" is that its worth overlooking a few major technical flaws to experience the amazing special effects and details. I don't want to spoil the film for anyone, but they took some pretty big liberties with orbital physics to make the story work. But wow...the zero gee stuff was off the hook.

"2001" was, and remains, the most realistic movie of its type. "Marooned" was just silly...but fun.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
RM: my take on "Gravity" is that its worth overlooking a few major technical flaws to experience the amazing special effects and details. I don't want to spoil the film for anyone, but they took some pretty big liberties with orbital physics to make the story work. But wow...the zero gee stuff was off the hook.

"2001" was, and remains, the most realistic movie of its type. "Marooned" was just silly...but fun.
Absolutely agree with you.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
And here I thought Spaceman referenced living in Florida near cape Canaveral
Partly true, but mostly because I worked at KSC in Launch Control from STS-2 to the Challenger diaster. A very non-glamourous job on the second floor sending telemetry data to the Firing Rooms a couple floors up. I did get to do "safety walkdowns" which included crawling around the launch pads, the VAB, and one time, Columbia's flight deck. Needless to say; it was a hash-free environment...
Small world. I worked in telemetry processing (among other things) at White Sands Missile Range in the early 80s. As the backup landing site for the early missions we had to beef up our systems to deal with a possible shuttle arrival. I left just before STS-3 landed there in '82.
 
So it IS rocket science, I'll be darned ;)
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I bought some hash once back in the '70s. It was my first year of college and I was still living at home, commuting to UCF. I was totally paranoid about where to stash the stuff, then I got the brilliant idea to hide it up in the attic. Hash was super rare, so I called some friends and made big plans to go to the beach and get f'd up on it that weekend. When the weekend came I couldn't find that cuss to save my life. I guess its still up there somewhere.
Some years ago I did a restore on a '65 Impala SS convert. When I got into doing the interior I went to pull out the center console and about seven or eight bags of grass fell out on the underside.:dodgy:
As I had long since given the habit up myself at that point I told the upholstery shop doing the work for me I didn't want to know anything. When they were done my bill was almost zero. And, yes, the work was 1st rate.
I have to wonder though about anyone who would FORGET they put that much stash there.:huh:
 
Wow...this thread is a perfect read for someone that woke up a 4:00am (garlic is not my friend). Just the right amount of snarky with a touch of wit tossed in. :)

Can't quite figure out why anyone who didn't find a forum useful would take the time to post anything, much less a completely useless and unsolicited commentary about it, then read all the feedback, do some "research" on the users, and finally (at least I hope it was finally) make another useless, but this time defensive, comment when users disagreed with his assessment.

I think Red just wanted to shoot down the moderators, but (here it comes...) Red Mist.

(I blame the garlic for the previous line)
 
I guess I will chime in a little.

I belong to a few forums and this one by far is my favorite. My motorcycle knowledge is limited being that I didn't start riding until two years ago at age 50. For me, this forum is the perfect blend of information, humor and people treating each other respectfully. The anonymity of the internet tends to bring out the worst in people and I don't really see that here. Not to brand bash but check out a Harley forum and see how those folks conduct themselves. It's nice to not have to be dodging F-bombs and tough guy attitudes etc.

Many thanks to Guth and The Ferret and anyone else who helps make this happen.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Wow...this thread is a perfect read for someone that woke up a 4:00am (garlic is not my friend). Just the right amount of snarky with a touch of wit tossed in. :)

Can't quite figure out why anyone who didn't find a forum useful would take the time to post anything, much less a completely useless and unsolicited commentary about it, then read all the feedback, do some "research" on the users, and finally (at least I hope it was finally) make another useless, but this time defensive, comment when users disagreed with his assessment.

I think Red just wanted to shoot down the moderators, but (here it comes...) Red Mist.

(I blame the garlic for the previous line)
Thanks for the bump, this thread is pulling folks out of the woodwork! Of course I want to thank you for your neighborly adjectives, them words being "useless", "unsolicited", and "defensive". Now you'll see I won't use any of those type of words in my post but if you wouldn't mind giving us that recipe for the garlic dish I'd be mighty appreciative.

BTW was there any pot or hash tossed in to spice it up?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
 
Red Mist_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Wow...this thread is a perfect read for someone that woke up a 4:00am (garlic is not my friend). Just the right amount of snarky with a touch of wit tossed in. :)

Can't quite figure out why anyone who didn't find a forum useful would take the time to post anything, much less a completely useless and unsolicited commentary about it, then read all the feedback, do some "research" on the users, and finally (at least I hope it was finally) make another useless, but this time defensive, comment when users disagreed with his assessment.

I think Red just wanted to shoot down the moderators, but (here it comes...) Red Mist.

(I blame the garlic for the previous line)
Thanks for the bump, this thread is pulling folks out of the woodwork! Of course I want to thank you for your neighborly adjectives, them words being "useless", "unsolicited", and "defensive". Now you'll see I won't use any of those type of words in my post but if you wouldn't mind giving us that recipe for the garlic dish I'd be mighty appreciative.

BTW was there any pot or hash tossed in to spice it up?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks for the bump, this thread is pulling folks out of the woodwork! Of course I want to thank you for your neighborly adjectives, them words being "useless", "unsolicited", and "defensive". Now you'll see I won't use any of those type of words in my post but if you wouldn't mind giving us that recipe for the garlic dish I'd be mighty appreciative.

BTW was there any pot or hash tossed in to spice it up?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Lol. I'm currently working my way through the Red Mist back catalogue, and this one was a peach.
 
Tortuga, Red Mist has previously been kind enough to tell us about the Brekenridge Elkins stories by Robert E Howard. A quick read is illuminating.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga, Red Mist has previously been kind enough to tell us about the Brekenridge Elkins stories by Robert E Howard. A quick read is illuminating.
Robert E. Howard; creator of Conan the Barbarian, but wrote literally hundreds of short stories and is, in fact, the author to create the "Fantasy Adventure" genre. He put a gun to his head in 1936, the year "The Hobbit" was first published. Much that is in "The Lord of the Rings" can be seen to have been directly lifted from Howard's many stories. For example, the good-natured competition over who killed the most enemies -- Gimli or Legolas -- is extremely well-developed in one of Howard's Breck Elkins stories, with a rivalry between Elkins and his cousin.

Howard created many interesting characters and wrote in a plethora of genres:

Steve Costigan, the rough-and-tumble sailor who boxed his way to fame in ports around the world;

Breckinridge Elkins, the good-natured, guileless Nevada hill-dweller who could take on any ten ordinary men;

Francis Xavier Gordon (El Borak), a Texan transplant to the Middle East, who was deeply involved in foreign intrigues between the local tribes, Russians, and English (similar to T.E. Lawrence);

and many others.

There's a growing movement of scholarship and research on Howard now, and he's moved well up the scale and is now regarded as one of the early 20th century's best American fiction authors.

The Robert E. Howard Foundation

Here's Steve Costigan:

f9821f8966ba9b202bbe9142bd67146a.jpg
 
I've enjoyed the Brekenridge Elkins stories lots.
 
Back
Top