What five bikes woud you own?

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Here peterbaron asked Gone in 60 what 5 bikes he'd own if he had lots of money.

So, if money were not too much of a problem, and assuming that a CB1100 is one of the five, what are the 4 extra bikes you'd pop in the stable? It is acceptable to stick with a lesser number if you can't contemplate the idea of owning 5 bikes.
 
Ok, wrote my response referenced between meetings riding in an Uber and highly distracted. Now I'm in a meeting and completely ignoring it, so let's start fresh.
If I had my CB1100, nothing else, and were to add four more bikes, let's see here...

I love my 865 Bonneville, but something new with more power would be nice. How about a Speed Twin 1200.
The Interceptor 650 is just so darn lovable, so let's keep that one, or replace the one I have. That also means that I won't have to toss all of those extra parts I bought right before the tariffs from India kicked in just in case something breaks.
The commute mule is a must. Money isn't an object? I've been fiddling around looking at clean-ish used NC750x models. Let's just get a new 2025 and put boxes on it.
Finally, just to have something I'd be able to take on a trail, let's grab a V-Strom 650 while they're still in the dealerships.
 
Interesting question. For me I'd break it down into different bikes for different purposes

Touring bike: Goldwing DCT

Daily rider or commuter: NC 750X DCT

Retro: CB 1100

Dual sport or Trail: CRF 300L

Sport: the new CB 1000 F

Scooter: Yamaha T-Max

I know that's 6, but ........... money is no object right?
 
OMG, when I read Gone’s posts, I know right away he is our forum’s artist but now his demand for FIVE  bikes qualifies him for the Pacific Rim Artist title, big time.
You can have your pickle now, Gone  :hilarious:
 
I keep my three that are with me:

CB1100
Kawasaki W800
Suzuki DR650

I add:
Kawasaki KLX300 (or Husqvarna FE350s since money is not object, it's $13k)

I'd sell my Honda XR190 in Costa Rica and replace with the KLX300 leaving me the Husqvarna 350 for the States.

Wait...do I get 5 bikes Stateside and 5 more in CR?


the Ferret said:
Interesting question.  For me I'd break it down into different bikes for different purposes

Touring bike: Goldwing DCT

Daily rider or commuter: NC 750X DCT

Retro: CB 1100

Dual sport or Trail:  CRF 300L

Sport:  the new CB 1000 F

Scooter: Yamaha T-Max

I know that's 6, but ........... money is no object right?

That CRF 300L is a strong alternative to the KLX300 that I would like.
 
I would keep my DLX.  I might keep my 1970 CL175.  I would ditch my Royal E-field.  I would add a 1979 CBX in red, a 2023 INT650 in orange, and a RD400 Daytona Special.

I said "might" keep the CL175...if my kids were done learning on it, I might swap it for a 1983 GS550.
 
I'll play! Obviously my '14 CB1100 is staying in the stable.
I'd add a 79 CBX. Red, ideally with a 6 into 1 exhaust.
86/87 VFR750F. Gear driven cam V4
CBR250RR MC22: 250cc that revs north of 20k. Sounds awesome.
Old harley panhead or similar. Just must have the foot clutch and jockey shift.
 
1. DLX and Z650RS stay with me
2. GL1000 & '79 CBX red
3. GT750
4. RD350LC or RD350R
5. H2 750
Five numbered lines only, cannot go any shorter  :)
 
Hmm, lots of people wanting a red '79 CBX. Well, here you go. It's a deal, and it's close to me. I've seen it, and it's not bad. In fact, if anyone here buys it, I'll help deliver (meaning I get to ride it too...) Southern California Motorcycles - New & Used Motorcycles, Parts, Service, and Financing in Brea, CA. Near Downey, West Covina, Corona, and Anaheim

Here's an interesting twist... maybe we can work this into some kind of bike exchange. Lunchbag, how 'bout if I sell you my orange Interceptor 650?
 
Gone in 60 said:
Hmm, lots of people wanting a red '79 CBX. Well, here you go. It's a deal, and it's close to me. I've seen it, and it's not bad. In fact, if anyone here buys it, I'll help deliver (meaning I get to ride it too...) Southern California Motorcycles - New & Used Motorcycles, Parts, Service, and Financing in Brea, CA. Near Downey, West Covina, Corona, and Anaheim

Here's an interesting twist... maybe we can work this into some kind of bike exchange. Lunchbag, how 'bout if I sell you my orange Interceptor 650?

Lol, I thought the INT650 was so lovable you couldn't part with it?!  I would do it if garage space was not an issue.

The CBX is probably a great deal at that price.  But the black engine and wheels just don't tempt me.  I've never seen one like that.
 
Lunchbag said:
Lol, I thought the INT650 was so lovable you couldn't part with it?!  I would do it if garage space was not an issue.
The CBX is probably a great deal at that price.  But the black engine and wheels just don't tempt me.  I've never seen one like that.

Ha! Yeah, the Interceptor is lovable. I'm dealing with the garage space issue too, and every time I think about selling it I look at it and ride it, and just don't have the heart. 
The CBX at that dealership has been there for quite a while at $15k, they recently marked it down to $10k. It is sitting next to the new V-Strom 800 Touring that's on clearance, that I go sit on every now and then, longingly.

Oh, and Mom is being an enabler... there's a donation truck coming around her neighborhood on Saturday. She said she's going to let them take everything out of the small golf cart garage so I will have room to park a motorcycle. She has an ulterior motive, of course, knowing that if I store a motorcycle at her house, I will surely visit often.
 
Yea 15k for a CBX with 50k miles and a blacked out engine not for me sadly.
However if Gone wants to buy it and deliver it to Wisconsin I think we could settle up somehow! :lol
I see them listed generally around the $10k mark in my area. Doesn't seem to matter if it's been restored or not.
I do know from the CBX forum that getting one in pristine running condition is easily a $15k investment...
 
Gone in 60 said:
Lunchbag said:
Lol, I thought the INT650 was so lovable you couldn't part with it?!  I would do it if garage space was not an issue.
The CBX is probably a great deal at that price.  But the black engine and wheels just don't tempt me.  I've never seen one like that.

Ha! Yeah, the Interceptor is lovable. I'm dealing with the garage space issue too, and every time I think about selling it I look at it and ride it, and just don't have the heart. 
The CBX at that dealership has been there for quite a while at $15k, they recently marked it down to $10k. It is sitting next to the new V-Strom 800 Touring that's on clearance, that I go sit on every now and then, longingly.

Oh, and Mom is being an enabler... there's a donation truck coming around her neighborhood on Saturday. She said she's going to let them take everything out of the small golf cart garage so I will have room to park a motorcycle. She has an ulterior motive, of course, knowing that if I store a motorcycle at her house, I will surely visit often.

After I sold my INT650, I missed it quite a bit.  But I replaced it with the W800, so still ice cream but different flavor.
 
Ive always needed a small high torque supermoto for the maximum hooliganism that i cant get out of my bigger bikes. Im thinking something like the KTM 390 SMCR since im very familiar with that engine already. Nothing flicks like one of those. Pure joy.

Another dream of mine has been to keep one just for track days. Small displacement and not set up to be road legal. Im thinking a really good condition zX4rr would be the most ideal thing, since this is a fantasy pick. In reality i think i would end up with a ninja 400.

Its honestly been so long since ive owned any kind of cruiser so i often think it would be neat to have one back in the stable. Not for long haul riding though. It would be a pure poser bike. I think the ultimate choice for that would be one of the old EVO sportsters. Probably a 1200. I just want a Poor fuel range, poor suspension, overweight claptrap so i can potato-potato-potato up and down the straight roads in charleston. It would be nice to finally have something built for that. If were talking pure fantasy i'd it to have a kick start and a hand shifter for maximum poser energy.

And finally....i already have the other dream bike. My thruxton RS.
 
Ice cream of a different flavor... that's an interesting comparison of the INT650 with the W800. 
In discussing adding a medium tourer to my fleet for the commute slog, Mrs. G commented that "well, it would be different from the bikes you have now, which are all kinda the same type, aren't they?" referring to the Bonneville, Enfield and CB1100, all modern classics. 

Does that mean I have three ice cream flavors? If I added a tourer/adv-style bike, would that be adding a piece of cake? Pizza maybe?
pdedse said:
After I sold my INT650, I missed it quite a bit.  But I replaced it with the W800, so still ice cream but different flavor.
 
Hmmm.
1. my '14 CB1100 std
2. my '22 KLX300
3. my '02 ZR7S

to add? perhaps a ZX4RR. that's tempting. another tempter is the 2025 Z900RS Cafe. love the color scheme and it's probably a rocket.
-tdbru
 
Ok, I'll play along. After much thought, here's my wishlist:

1. 2014 CB1100 DLX.
2. 1976 KZ 900.
3. 1976 CB 750
4. 1969 CB 750
5. 1973 CB 350 Four.

Basically, the bottom line is that I want every bike I've ever had. So....the lesson for me is that I regret selling all my past bikes, and so I'm determined to keep my CB1100 forever!
 
I already have my 5 in the garage. No guarantee of any being permanent, but my CB1100 has seniority. Been here since April, 2018.
In order of purchase,
 1.  2014 CB 1100 Standard 
 2.  2019 Tracer 900GT
 3.  2008 SV 650 N
 4.  2010 FZ-1
 5.  2024 XSR 900
There are several I've owned previously that I'd like to have back. Hind sight I guess but, a new acquisition usually soothes the remorse.
5 seems to be my personal limit. All of them are regularly ridden and maintained by me. Since I retired a couple years ago, it's been easier to keep up with.
 
Back
Top