What Does Your Refueling Regimen Consist Of?

when I have a tank bag, I always put the bike on the centerstand so that I have a nice flat place to rest the bag while I fill up. Used to set the magnetic bag on the ground, but a few metal shavings' later...well lesson learned.
 
Side question: for any of you guys who live in states where you can't pump your own gas (e.g., Oregon), do you let the attendants do it or do you do it yourself (or do the attendants, not even want anything to do with it)?
 
kmoney_imp said:
Side question: for any of you guys who live in states where you can't pump your own gas (e.g., Oregon), do you let the attendants do it or do you do it yourself (or do the attendants, not even want anything to do with it)?
in New jersey they just hand it over automatically.
 
When I was in Oregon last year the attendant told me they won't pump antique cars or motorcycles, and allow the owners to pump those.
 
I don't try and get the very last ounce into the tank, I splash too frequently and am not willing to make the extra effort. Always dismount, a chance to straighten my old knees and stretch the creaky back.
At the full service station down at the bottom of the hill (same price as self serve) they don't do bikes or ultra fancy Yankee cars. Too much chin music!
 
You guys who like to sit on the bike while filling...I guess the danger of riding isn't enough? :s
Years ago I was at Mid-Ohio for the Superbike races and just as I was about to leave the hotel parking lot a guy on a Harley pulled up, jumped off and ran for the door. He had gasoline all over his dainty bits, and down both legs of his jeans. There were no flames but I guarantee you he was "on fire."
So, no thank-you, I'll get off to refuel.
 
Pull up to the pump, turn off ignition, stand up and straddle bike, reach over and insert debit card in pump, fill tank to bottom of filler neck, replace nozzle in pump, grab receipt, close gas cap, sit back down, start bike and ride off. No need to get off the bike.
 
kmoney_imp said:
Side question: for any of you guys who live in states where you can't pump your own gas (e.g., Oregon), do you let the attendants do it or do you do it yourself (or do the attendants, not even want anything to do with it)?
I always reach for the nozzle, attendants always hand it over, most attempt to drain any wayward drops from nozzle first. Much like when I fill up the Vettes. No questions asked.

:beerchug:
 
It's been my experience that putting the bike on the center stand makes almost no difference in the amount of gas that the tank will take, so I don't bother with it.
 
Funny thread... here's my regimen:

-pull in, pump to the right of the bike
-turn off engine
-extend side stand
-flip up modular helmet
-remove gloves
-get off bike
-open gas cap
-swipe credit card
-enter zip code
-grab pump
-push premium button
-lean over and drain left-over gas in the nozzle onto
the ground to keep it from dripping on the tank
-put nozzel in tank
-squeeze gently while staring intently into the tank
-when it gets about 1 inch from the neck - STOP
-put nozzel back
-get receipt from machine (hopefully)
-add a few ounces of Stabil to tank
-put keys in pocket
-walk inside to use rest room
-walk back to bike
-drink a bit of water
-get back on bike
-put on gloves
-flip down modular helmet
-go to start bike and then realize keys are in my pocket
-take off gloves
-grab keys
-put in ignition
-start bike
-reset trip meter
-put gloves back on
-pull in clutch
-select first gear
-ride off
-smile
 
Not much new to add...
In addition to NOT sitting on the bike while refueling (I couldn't find the video of someone that was sitting on his bike refueling, then the tank caught fire while he was sitting there..)..

I now wear nitrile gloves when fueling.. esp in CA where you have to wrestle with pulling the vapor hood back with one hand controlling the fuel flow with the other.. I'm a cheapskate so most of the time I'll wash my hands with the gloves on and reuse them the next time.. occasionally there's a gasoline spillage mess and then I just toss them..
 
Thread starter
I have so enjoyed this thread. Thanks to all who contributed. I started with the idea of exploring the tendencies of OCD among fat, bald, relatively affluent old white men (myself included), and for the most part, the response has exceeded my expectations. I think there has been some learning opportunities experienced along the way as well ;) I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I have, and if you're not fat, bald, relatively affluent, old and white, congrats on having the good sense to own a CB1100 anyway!
 
Be careful around the diesel pumps.

Here some gas stations have pumps that dispense both diesel and gas using separate nozzles but be aware of spilled diesel on the ground.

The stuff does not evaporate cleanly like gas so it leaves a slick surface by the pump especially if the pad is concrete.

Riding around those pumps watch your wheels especially if the concrete is wet.

Early one morning I stopped to fill up a rental car on the way back to the airport and pulled up to one of those combination pumps, stepped out of the car and promptly slipped on the invisible slick dew dampened concrete. Caught myself with the car door so I didn't quite flop onto my bottom. That stuff is super slick when wet.

Aloha,
Huladg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
+1 what 4my said if at a pump. I usually fill mine in the garage from a gas can. Fill up to the neck and stop, sidestand or centerstand. Overfilling could be bad and saturate the charcoal canister.
+1
 
This Thread cracked me up...

I'm not too anal about gassing up.

Pull up to pump, avoiding fluid spills, flip up clear visor, remove gloves, unlock tank, open door. Get off bike, scratch, maybe burp... then very carefully, pull stuck underwear free. Lift nozzle, cover with small cloth, insert in gas tank, pull trigger.

When done, close and lock fuel filler cap, pay attendant, visor down, reset odo., scratch, no burp needed at this time, realign clothing for comfort, mount, start and zoom...
 
Back
Top