What do you think of the Skully AR-1?

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey guys! Been a long time since I've posted on here, but glad to see everyone doing well.

With only three more months until mine arrives, I was curious what everyone thought about the high-tech HUD-equipped helmet.

Skully Systems - The Future of Augmented Reality Casino Gaming

d50f627bd1b2dafae3956d7390514154.jpg


I currently have a Shoei RF1100 in matte black with a QC3 headset installed, but I'm really looking forward to the integrated speakers, on-screen nav instructions, and electronic on-demand tinting in the visor. I ordered the white one!
 
Wow...that's what I think. very high tech.
 
Pretty cool and I guess if you added the price of a premium helmet and the cost of the in-helmet sound and bluetooth, you'd be getting up to the point where the cost would be within spitting range of this lid. If I had the dough, i'd take the plunge. Looking forward to a review of it.
 
Good to hear from you shdwghst. It's an amazing bit of equipment and I'm also looking forward to your review of it. What opportunity do you have to make sure it's comfortable—there's plenty of discussion here about different helmets suiting different heads to make me wonder.
 
Very cool helmet and high tech; I'm jealous. Then again $1500 could certainly buy a lot of bike farkles. :D
 
I'm looking forward to a photo showing the juxtaposition of the super high tech helmet and retro styled CB1100.

That is one trick looking lid. Hope you check back in more often and let us know how it treats you.

Thumbs up on the white paint choice. :thumbsup:
 
The problem is, that helmets are a more-or-less disposable commodity.

$1500 isn't the problem. It's $1500 every YEAR or two, and more often if you drop it, leave it in the sun, ride a lot in severe sun or heat. That could work out to be over $100 a month each riding month, permanently.

I like the idea. I don't like the idea that people would want/need to keep it long after it was deteriorated or otherwise past it's USE BY date.
 
Thread starter
I'm happy that there's a segment of motorcycling in which I can lead the charge on this site!

As far as price is concerned, it hurt. I have a perfectly fine Shoei RF-1100, and it was another $300 for (a pair of) Bluetooth audio, and I had intended on buying an external clip-on HUD for it (the Nuviz, which seems dead in the water after many months of silence).

I'll find out the reality of the matter in July, but as far as fit is concerned they use Shoei as their comparison for how to order the correct size. Similarly to the RF-1100 it's a single-size shell with different foam inserts available.

In terms of buying a helmet instead of farkles, I'm too OCD to modify anything. I added obligatory RLETs (I think I was even the first on here to call them by their acronym) and for a few weeks I had 2014 side panels on, but aside from that my bike is 100% stock.

I think the white helmet was the right choice. I wonder if it will feel at all cooler than my black Shoei.

JustPassinThru, you nailed my biggest concern right on the head. Only the severe sun/heat bit applies to me really, and I don't see replacing it any more often than every 4 or maybe 3 years, but it could get pricey. If I get 36 months out of it I'll have spent about $42/month.

I'll definitely be giving it a thorough write-up on here so the curious can live vicariously through my impulsive retail therapy!
 
I think it's amazing and every motorcycle guy I respect tells me after your bike your helmet should be your biggest purchase. Looking forward to your write up.
 
Thread starter
Looks like they're pushing back the shipping date for the sake of improving the final product. Disappointing, but I'll gladly wait if it's improved because of it.

 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Looks like they're pushing back the shipping date for the sake of improving the final product. Disappointing, but I'll gladly wait if it's improved because of it.

Shipping date has been pushed back a "number" of times on this product. Lots of in-depth discussion on this particular helmet on various cycle sites. With the HUD/Rear View Camera/Bluetooth/music all packed in there it's a lot of info being transferred and stuff going on inside that small space. I could see where it could be very distracting and if I WERE to purchase one I would prob have to use a phased-in approach over time for each capability to get used to it. For now I'll wait on the sidelines content to ride an old school bike with an old school helmet.
 
Wow, this is amazing; I've never seen this before now.
I have no problem spending good money on good helmets. If you're an ATGATT guy, I don't have to explain myself.
This one certainly looks cool, and I love the tech involved, but I think I'd want more final testing and crash-spec data before plunking down my money. Thanks to the OP for being the pioneer for us! :D
 
I have never heard of this before-this is an incredible concept. Wish I would have though of it first! Thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top