What do you know about the CX500?

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Had breakfast this morning with a nice couple with whom we've ridden a few times. Scott made passing reference to an old CX500 he has taking up space in a friend's garage that he's thinking of giving away or selling really cheap. "Free or cheap" are words that perk up my ears.

I've been thinking that it might be a fun to tinker around with an old bike and possibly have it for my son to ride when he's home from school, but I don't know much about this particular model. Scott is going to send me a pic and more details, but I was interested in knowledgable opinions about the bike from this esteemed body of motorcycle enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance for your input.

MTC
 
I started to write a response then re-read your post and saw that you were asking for "knowledgeable" opinions. Haha! I'll say this, I've shared your thoughts and have considered finding an old CB that I can restore with my boys. I need more room in the garage! Then again, I guess I could do like Hondahoarder and just park my bikes in the house! If it truly is "free or cheap," it seems that no matter what, you'll come out ahead and you'll gain a lot more than just a working motorcycle in the end.
 
CX 500 was designed by the same guy that designed the CBX ( little known fact) tranverse V twin ala Moto Guzzi with cylinders twisted to move carbs in toward center giving room for riders knees. Originally 500cc grew to 650 cc and was eventually turbo.d. Liquid cooled shaft drive. First relaesed in 1978 lasted into the early 80s. like all Hondas generally reliable. Made 50 ish horsepower if I remember correctly.

Makes a great looking cafe racer.
 
Coincidentally, I'm catching up with my ride report this morning and have posted these pictures:





 
Early ones had a water pump seal problem. You needed to pull the motor to fix it right. The Honda replacement part was much better so once
fixed it was good to go.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I don't know much about this bike, but that fairing and huge headlamp are hideous.... Would have looked better naked.
That was the style of racing fairings back in the day. (Late 70's to I think, '83)
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the input, guys. I don't have a picture of the bike yet and I'm not sure of the year, but it has a black tank with an orange or red stripe on it. It's not a turbo and doesn't have that big fairing on it. I bought it, sight unseen, for $300 plus dinner for him and his girlfriend and he's going to deliver it to my mom's garage next week.

I figure that it was a risk worth taking for that amount of money, but we will see.

Something like this, only not nearly as clean, I imagine

c0c0e3b8cac0f95f3d814ec5dff9b725.jpg
 
Stators are a weak link (connectors if memory serves). Some odd styling cues (but the 500 and 650 Turbo's were the best looking bikes of the era and still look darn fine to my eye). It's supposed to be a high rev-ing bike, but I only rode the 500 Turbo.

I'd be tempted myself.
 
It's a good looking bike, I reckon ... except for that overstated radiator.

Look forward to hearing lots about it MTC.

By the way, you inspired me with your verse this morning. I'm no poet, but this limerick came to mind.

Quote:A fellow I knew—MTC
Found a Honda CX not CT
It cost him a buck
And a plate of fried duck
For the bike and its de-liver-ee.
 
I can work with that. :D
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I don't have a picture of the bike yet and I'm not sure of the year, but it has a black tank with an orange or red stripe on it. It's not a turbo and doesn't have that big fairing on it. I bought it, sight unseen, for $300 plus dinner for him and his girlfriend and he's going to deliver it to my mom's garage next week.

I figure that it was a risk worth taking for that amount of money, but we will see.

Something like this, only not nearly as clean, I imagine

c0c0e3b8cac0f95f3d814ec5dff9b725.jpg
That's a 78 first year. Best looking of the bunch IMO
 
I was 'given' a CX 500 a few years ago, with the intent of turning it into a cafe bike. But after riding it around stock, realized just how much money and effort it would take to make it something I'd be happy with. They are homely and slow, but bulletproof. If you've got an imagination and spare time, and you're not thinking about it as anything other than a fun, low cost project, go for it. I sold mine on, no regrets.
 
Thread starter
Yes, it does have a distinct look about it. I've been told that my bike has some carburation issues, but is otherwise in good shape. That remains to be seen. It probably will be slow as compared to the CB1100, it should have enough pep for my son's needs. Again, that remains to be seen. I think will be an interesting adventure.
 
Just make sure you have an impact driver and a lot of PB Blaster on hand. I helped a guy from work with his a few times. Every bolt, screw, and but were a pain in the butt. We drilled a bunch of them, torched others, and cut the rest. I don't think Honda's alloys were what they are today back when those were built.
 
Capo_imp said:
I was 'given' a CX 500 a few years ago, with the intent of turning it into a cafe bike. But after riding it around stock, realized just how much money and effort it would take to make it something I'd be happy with. They are homely and slow, but bulletproof. If you've got an imagination and spare time, and you're not thinking about it as anything other than a fun, low cost project, go for it. I sold mine on, no regrets.
I got rid of mine when it's gutless-ness nearly killed me and my nice lady passenger. I turned out into traffic, figuring I had plenty of room to get up to speed. WFO throttle and a truck with good brakes behind me saved me. But for one-up rides and tinkering, why not? It's nice to have a spare bike. When the stator fails, it's a motor out of frame job. I bought mine from a mechanical engineer who'd just done that job. I think it soured him on the bike. Brakes were also pretty weak for a relatively heavy bike. But we're so spoiled with modern bikes -- the "soft, retro" CB1100 would run circles around every Honda from the late 70's! You and your son will have fun on this thing.
 
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
I was 'given' a CX 500 a few years ago, with the intent of turning it into a cafe bike. But after riding it around stock, realized just how much money and effort it would take to make it something I'd be happy with. They are homely and slow, but bulletproof. If you've got an imagination and spare time, and you're not thinking about it as anything other than a fun, low cost project, go for it. I sold mine on, no regrets.
I got rid of mine when it's gutless-ness nearly killed me and my nice lady passenger. I turned out into traffic, figuring I had plenty of room to get up to speed. WFO throttle and a truck with good brakes behind me saved me. But for one-up rides and tinkering, why not? It's nice to have a spare bike. When the stator fails, it's a motor out of frame job. I bought mine from a mechanical engineer who'd just done that job. I think it soured him on the bike. Brakes were also pretty weak for a relatively heavy bike. But we're so spoiled with modern bikes -- the "soft, retro" CB1100 would run circles around every Honda from the late 70's! You and your son will have fun on this thing.
I got rid of mine when it's gutless-ness nearly killed me and my nice lady passenger. I turned out into traffic, figuring I had plenty of room to get up to speed. WFO throttle and a truck with good brakes behind me saved me. But for one-up rides and tinkering, why not? It's nice to have a spare bike. When the stator fails, it's a motor out of frame job. I bought mine from a mechanical engineer who'd just done that job. I think it soured him on the bike. Brakes were also pretty weak for a relatively heavy bike. But we're so spoiled with modern bikes -- the "soft, retro" CB1100 would run circles around every Honda from the late 70's! You and your son will have fun on this thing.
I agree that all bikes of that age whether Honda CBs CXs or Other brands will need tinkering on a regular basis whether you ride it occasionally or daily. They can be a fun addition to the garage, but nothing like our modern CB1100. And 40 or so HP at the rear wheel isn't going to win any races two-up, and I guess you learned a valuable lesson in that regard when you pulled out in front of that truck!
 
Back
Top