What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Hey Cooldrum, yes, please let me know next time you're in the neighborhood. That goes for the rest of you guys!

As for Honda's HQ, I have been there, but not for a show. I think they've moved their motorcycle operations to Marysville, OH, but when it was in Torrance, they used to host focus groups for local Honda owners. I participated a number of times. You'd get a letter in the mail inviting you to a focus group on a Saturday. You'd arrive and be escorted to a nice courtyard, where there'd be three or four prototype bikes on display, with cards indicating each as A B C D. You'd be asked to look at them all closely, then were handed a clipboard with a list of questions:

"Looking at bike A, do you like the style of the headlight? If an LED headlight were an accessory option, would you be willing to pay $200-$300 for it?"
"Look at the fuel tank on bike B. Based on its style, what kind of image do you think it projects?"

The last time I participated in one of the focus groups was probably about ten years ago, and the bikes we examined turned out to be the current line of Rebels.

I grew up in Torrance, not too far from the Honda campus, and moved to Orange County when I was 12. Nowdays, it's a bit far for me to get to on a weekday, so I'm really looking forward to the Cars and Coffee this Saturday. One of the new docents at the Petersen is a big Honda fan, even replicating the '60s-era delivery truck from a local Honda motorcyle dealership. We're meeting up there, and I think he's more excited about it than me!


I had a neat exchange on Saturday afternoon with a guy who walked up and said he was shopping for a CB1100. I had just left the museum, and was enjoying my typical lunch. Canter's is a bit of a splurge for me, so that's an occasional visit. My Pavlovian stop is at a Trader Joe's market a few blocks North on Fairfax to grab a wrap, a bag of their corn nuts (Inka Corn, I need these to keep me sane), and an apple. I usually use a trash can lid in the parking lot as my table, and munch away with my bike parked nearby. 

A guy leaving the market walked up and was admiring the CB. He started asking questions that made it very clear that he was looking for one and had done some homework. He knew that mine was a '13, and asked if I thought the 5-speed was ok, or if I wished I'd gotten a '14 or a '17. We chatted for quite a while, and I made sure to let him know about our community if he had more questions or wanted advice. Hopefully, we'll see him here soon!
 
Gone in 60 said:
Hey Cooldrum, yes, please let me know next time you're in the neighborhood. That goes for the rest of you guys!

As for Honda's HQ, I have been there, but not for a show. I think they've moved their motorcycle operations to Marysville, OH, but when it was in Torrance, they used to host focus groups for local Honda owners. I participated a number of times. You'd get a letter in the mail inviting you to a focus group on a Saturday. You'd arrive and be escorted to a nice courtyard, where there'd be three or four prototype bikes on display, with cards indicating each as A B C D. You'd be asked to look at them all closely, then were handed a clipboard with a list of questions:

"Looking at bike A, do you like the style of the headlight? If an LED headlight were an accessory option, would you be willing to pay $200-$300 for it?"
"Look at the fuel tank on bike B. Based on its style, what kind of image do you think it projects?"

The last time I participated in one of the focus groups was probably about ten years ago, and the bikes we examined turned out to be the current line of Rebels.

I grew up in Torrance, not too far from the Honda campus, and moved to Orange County when I was 12. Nowdays, it's a bit far for me to get to on a weekday, so I'm really looking forward to the Cars and Coffee this Saturday. One of the new docents at the Petersen is a big Honda fan, even replicating the '60s-era delivery truck from a local Honda motorcyle dealership. We're meeting up there, and I think he's more excited about it than me!


I had a neat exchange on Saturday afternoon with a guy who walked up and said he was shopping for a CB1100. I had just left the museum, and was enjoying my typical lunch. Canter's is a bit of a splurge for me, so that's an occasional visit. My Pavlovian stop is at a Trader Joe's market a few blocks North on Fairfax to grab a wrap, a bag of their corn nuts (Inka Corn, I need these to keep me sane), and an apple. I usually use a trash can lid in the parking lot as my table, and munch away with my bike parked nearby. 

A guy leaving the market walked up and was admiring the CB. He started asking questions that made it very clear that he was looking for one and had done some homework. He knew that mine was a '13, and asked if I thought the 5-speed was ok, or if I wished I'd gotten a '14 or a '17. We chatted for quite a while, and I made sure to let him know about our community if he had more questions or wanted advice. Hopefully, we'll see him here soon!



Hey Gone, My son lives in Rancho Park off West Pico.  I can literally walk to Apple Pan from his place. In fact I did that the last time I was staying there.  Quite dangerous when trying to eat healthy.  Pretty cool to be invited to the focus groups at the Honda HQ.  You'll enjoy the Collection hall.  There's a good mix of bikes, cars, outboard motors, mowers and generators!  They even have the replica pick truck with bikes in the truck bed when Honda was setting up dealers way back when. I also met Luis Zavala , a docent in the vault when I was at Petersen. A nice guy and car enthusiast.  I Suggest going as early as you can since there is a line of cars waiting to park at the Honda campus. They had music going outdoors and of course you can buy Honda merch at the store inside.  I found a "You meet the nicest people on a Honda " shirt! Ha!  My 305 Scrambler was my first bike and I just rode it this morning. I've ridden this bike down Highway 1 from the Cliff House in San Francisco Through Monterey, Big Sur and down PCH to Chula Vista. Fun Times! 

Honda's just have great engineering.  Enjoy the story. (not my channel and not self promoting).
 
Cooldrum305 said:
Hey Gone, My son lives in Rancho Park off West Pico.  I can literally walk to Apple Pan from his place. In fact I did that the last time I was staying there.  Quite dangerous when trying to eat healthy.  Pretty cool to be invited to the focus groups at the Honda HQ.  You'll enjoy the Collection hall.  There's a good mix of bikes, cars, outboard motors, mowers and generators!  They even have the replica pick truck with bikes in the truck bed when Honda was setting up dealers way back when. I also met Luis Zavala , a docent in the vault when I was at Petersen. A nice guy and car enthusiast.  I Suggest going as early as you can since there is a line of cars waiting to park at the Honda campus. They had music going outdoors and of course you can buy Honda merch at the store inside.  I found a "You meet the nicest people on a Honda " shirt! Ha!  My 305 Scrambler was my first bike and I just rode it this morning. I've ridden this bike down Highway 1 from the Cliff House in San Francisco Through Monterey, Big Sur and down PCH to Chula Vista. Fun Times! 

Honda's just have great engineering.  Enjoy the story. (not my channel and not self promoting).

Cool video! You're reminding me to get off my butt and finish editing my DGR video... You met Luis at the museum - he's a very good resource of information! I haven't been to the Honda campus since that last focus group, and thanks for the heads-up on arriving early. I'm going to scope out the area on the way home from my runs today and see where we might be able to park and walk in. I'm sure I'll buy some merch. But, we found out about the Honda Cars and Coffee events from a guy from the Heritage Center at the last Radwood event in L.A., and he took a shine to Mrs. G, particularly when she said "I've always driven Hondas". He loaded her up with a thermos, stickers, magnets, a shirt and a bunch of other stuff... I got squat. 

I saw that replica Honda delivery pickup a few years ago at the L.A. Auto Show when Honda was doing somewhat of a nostalgia kick. Funny thing, my fellow Petersen docent who built his own "replica truck" used a Ford... I mentioned that Honda's actual truck was a Chevy, and he replied "Yeah, but other dealers might have used Fords, and besides, vintage Ford trucks are cheaper now than Chevys."

Wow, you rode that 305 from San Fran to San Diego? That's awesome! I've never made that trip on anything less than a 750.
 
Day 171 of riding this year ... It's "CB Sunday" (the day I've chosen to ride my CB and not neglect it anymore lol). The meteorologist on the news last night said we'd see Canada smoke by this afternoon. They were right. The whole place looked kind of foggy and smells funny. Anyhow 56 miles @ 84 degrees and clear (except for the smoke)

X76p6yZ.jpg


2q3GZRa.jpg
 
the Ferret said:
Day 174 ....rode the CB over to a buddy's house, where we changed out the front brake pads and clutch and brake fluids. Think bike is all prepped for the rally now.

I have to admit that when I have new tires installed, I have the dealer change my brake pads if the pads are more than 1/2 worn out. That would be at least a 5 bandaid job if I did it. I change the hydraulic fluids myself, with the help from my friend. That task is due this season.
 
suhawk305 said:
the Ferret said:
Day 174 ....rode the CB over to a buddy's house, where we changed out the front brake pads and clutch and brake fluids. Think bike is all prepped for the rally now.

I have to admit that when I have new tires installed, I have the dealer change my brake pads if the pads are more than 1/2 worn out. That would be at least a 5 bandaid job if I did it. I change the hydraulic fluids myself, with the help from my friend. That task is due this season.

When I had the new rear tire and chain installed a week or so ago, the tech said I also needed new rear brake pads. I had a set of oem at home, but didn't realize they were due yet. They didn't have any oem pads in stock at the shop so they put in some after-market EBC pads. I knew it was (over) due to have the fluids replaced and I had a set of oem front brake pads at home. My buddy offered to replace them all for me, rather than wait weeks for another service appointment at the shop. I ordered some new Honda Dot 4 and we did it all today.

So now, it has new brake and clutch fluids, new brake pads front and rear, a new chain and a new rear tire. Front tire should last me until next year I think. All I have to do is engine oil and filter yet and I can do that myself. I have the oem filter and 4 qts of GN4 10W30 on hand.
 
It's gotta feel good to have all that done. I'm at 33k miles and I think my chain still has some life to it. But getting close. I likely need to do fork oil change. I might have a leaky fork seal as well, but so far cleaning it with a fork seal cleaner / tool seems to work.
 
pdedse said:
It's gotta feel good to have all that done.  I'm at 33k miles and I think my chain still has some life to it.  But getting close.  I likely need to do fork oil change.  I might have a leaky fork seal as well, but so far cleaning it with a fork seal cleaner / tool seems to work.

It does. 

 I changed original chain at 39,000 and 1st replacement chain at 79,000.

Ive never changed the fork oil.  :blush:
 
[quote="the Ferret" pid='275381' dateline='1784756573']
So now, it has new brake and clutch fluids, new brake pads front and rear, a new chain and a new rear tire. Front tire should last me until next year I think. All I have to do is engine oil and filter yet and I can do that myself. I have the oem filter and 4 qts of GN4 10W30 on hand.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a bloke ready to go to a rally.
 
Thursdays are for Washington!

I took I-84 east and crossed the Columbia River at the Bridge of the Gods, then hiway 14 east to 141, which heads north to BZ Corner.  There I took the Glenwood hiway towards...Glenwood.
XXeFqc2.jpg


On the way to Glenwood, Mt. Adams finally appears as the warm day haze was hiding it
Pcgm9T8.jpg


At Glenwood, continued east and soon came across a nice rest area above the Klickitat River valley
B3co5LF.jpg


I could hear the river from there and also spied a bid of road along the river.  My phone confirmed that appropriately named River Route Road was there; I just couldn't tell if it was paved or gravel....it wasn't paved.
tzaR1fy.jpg


But the descent was very gentle, not a terrible number of potholes, loose gravel only on the extreme edges and just a few washboard sections of about 100-200m.  Very do-able.  I like fisheries and there was one indicated 10 miles in...the bike was already dusty after a mile in, so why not?
ZCWpeo7.jpg


Went the 10 miles to the entrance for the fishery...but nope.
XvGORZO.jpg


Ah well, it was still a blast to ride, zero traffic, just keep the speed between 25-40mph and all was good.  I think I may have bottomed out the front fork on one pot hole, hidden by the shade, but I've hit just as bad on paved streets.  I saw several side roads that lead up into the hills...will have to return on the DR650.

kCHFetn.jpg


I was a little surprised by the brown water...all the rivers I've ever seen in Oregon are really clear.  Makes me think this one travels through some agricultural areas upstream.
dO2JHbw.jpg


A fairly reasonable gravel road for all motorcycles to enjoy!
M2OVvTU.jpg


I love the riding on this Glenwood to hiway 142 along the Klickitat...curvy, relaxing, and just a handful of cars
RPX3IQK.jpg


Climbing out of the valley
QUkCSOl.jpg


ow9Z2cs.jpg


And then 142 winds its way down, always along the river and eventually meets up with hiway 14 along the Columbia...and back home.  The gravel section was about 20 miles, and overall a little less than 250 for the day.
 
Thanks for sharing the pictures, pdedse.
 
Thread starter
Great day; great motorcycle; great route; great rider.
 
Out of pure curiosity, I rolled out the dice to see how much I could get for my USA-DLX.
The bike has 42,000 km on the clock, is in mint condition, and is well maintained and equipped: it has SW-Motech side racks and cases, genuine engine chrome crash guards, a rear luggage rack with Givi base, heated grips, EX windshield and a few other extras.
A week later, a serious buyer got in touch asking if the price was negotiable, so I told him my minimum was $10,000 CAD... he wants to come and take a look at the bike....

Here is a list of other CB1100s currently for sale in Canada:

1. 2013 - 915 kms     -  $15,500 CAD
2. 2013 - 9,000 kms  -  $12,995 CAD
3. 2013 - 37,000 kms - $7,597 CAD

4. 2014 - 19,000 kms - $9,599 CAD

5. 2016 - 14,000 kms - $11,695 CAD
 
peterbaron said:
Out of pure curiosity, I rolled out the dice to see how much I could get for my USA-DLX.
The bike has 42,000 km on the clock, is in mint condition, and is well maintained and equipped: it has SW-Motech side racks and cases, genuine engine chrome crash guards, a rear luggage rack with Givi base, heated grips, EX windshield and a few other extras.
A week later, a serious buyer got in touch asking if the price was negotiable, so I told him my minimum was $10,000 CAD... he wants to come and take a look at the bike....

Here is a list of other CB1100s currently for sale in Canada:

1. 2013 - 915 kms     -  $15,500 CAD
2. 2013 - 9,000 kms  -  $12,995 CAD
3. 2013 - 37,000 kms - $7,597 CAD

4. 2014 - 19,000 kms - $9,599 CAD

5. 2016 - 14,000 kms - $11,695 CAD

The fact that someone is going to look at it and he knows your minimum no longer means you're doing this "out of curiosity"  :cool:

And wait...do you still have two CB1100s?  If not...selling...would...leave...you........ without? Is that even allowed? :exclamation: 

Just the other day I was thinking how much would I be willing to sell my 2017ex for with 33k miles, in great shape.  No plan to do so, I was just thinking about it, and I thought I'd probably accept U.S. 6,000 although I'd want 7,000, and your 10,000 Canadian is about $7,100 U.S. ... so pretty close.

But I did ask myself, 'if I'm not planning on selling, why was I thinking about how much I'd accept?'  I sold my Kawasaki W800 last fall to have funds to buy the KLX300.  I didn't really want to sell the W, but 3 bikes seems to be a good limit for me.  But I chose to sell the W and never even thought of the CB1100 because the CB has always been my long-distance trip.  But with back issues and general aging, I'm not sure how many hours I can really go in a day, specially if it's a multi-day trip.  I used to run off 8, 10, 12 hours w/out issues...now I'm more likely to call it a day at 5-6.   So do I really need a bike that could take me to the east coast? Because that W800 is a fun, fun 2-4 hour bike.  This, coupled with the idea that within a year my wife and I will be spending 6 to 10 months each year out of country, had me thinking 'just what do I want bike-wise as I head into retirement?' For me, it's one street bike and one off-road capable bike in the U.S. and two off-road capable bikes in Costa Rica...which is exactly what I have, just have to get my KLX300 to CR (I have a Honda XR190 there already for visitors...you know, you guys!).  And I was thinking more about "the loss" of my W800...in the end, the CB1100 is irreplaceable, while the W800 is still being made and second hand they can be very reasonably priced.  So I'll ride the CB1100 to see which one of us lasts longer--the CB, or me.  If it's me...I'll go back to the lighter, smaller W.  If the CB outlasts me...that will no longer be a concern of mine.

So bottom line question: if your interested seller offers the 10k...is that a done deal?  Will be interesting to see what he thinks of your bike at your price.
 
Yeah... seems like this is going from the out-of-curiosity to the might-sell category...

Even though owning four bikes is impractical, especially with one in Mom's garage, and one in a friend's garage (temporarily I hope), I haven't thought about selling any of them. I've monitored prices on what I have, and I wouldn't make enough money on any particular bike to make it a financial benefit. Then again, I don't have one of the desirable '14 Deluxe or '17 models. I was chatting with a guy recently in a Trader Joe's parking lot as I was eating lunch off the seat of my CB. He was interested in buying one and had been casually checking FB Marketplace. He was surprised at the asking prices, but hadn't specifically seen a '13. I told him if he didn't mind a five-speed to look for one, and that he'd find the prices more palletable.

Having bikes in other locations does make it challenging. I'm reaching fever-pitch on missing my Enfield. My friend's garage is ten minutes away, and he said he has no problem with me swapping out my Triumph for it, I just need to find time. Hopefully within the next evening or two. I haven't ridden her since early March when I took on the BMWs for work.
 
Back
Top