What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

rdprdp01 said:
I share your love of nostalgia and movie cars. But your CB1100 remains the most impressive picture you've shared today! David

I dunno... Bullitt made '67/'68 Mustang Fastbacks a premium over coupes, but the 2000 version of Gone in 60 Seconds with Nicholas Cage permanently drove prices up too high for me to consider.
But, if someone offered to trade me a clean '67 Fastback with at least a 289 for my CB1100, it would be a tough choice.
 
Set out to ride to the coast today; planned on hugging the northside of the Columbia River on the WA side and then head back across the river at Astoria, follow the coast south for a couple of hours and back east to the Portland area.  With an expected high of 85 today, I figured my mesh jacket and liner, a short sleeve and long sleeve shirt would be enough.  

It wasn't!

I got over halfway to the coast on hiway 4 and the 15mph winds coming off the waters of the Columbia felt way too cold for late June.  
0xBkq0S.png


My teeth were chattering and I was shivering...just didn't seem right.  But as I neared Cathlamet, I remembered there was a ferry crossing that would take me to hiway 30 and then head home with my tail between my legs.  

Waiting for the 10am ferry crossing
0WPP3z2.jpg


About 10 cars, 4 cyclists and one cb1100 rider.  $4 for me, $3 for the others two wheelers and $6 for the cars.  It would take 1.5 hours to ride from the north side to the south side of this point, 15 minutes on the ferry
HCH4V08.jpg


A heavier liner or sweatshirt, or if I had left 2 hours later I would have been fine.  But today...was just not mentally prepared for a cold ride when I was expecting different.
 
And took a couple of nice pictures too.
 
In the Phoenix, Arizona, area this morning, it was 88F when I awoke at 4:00AM, but it warmed up quickly after that. Of course, the traffic is also very heavy and there is no place to ride that is as beautiful as where you are. Thanks for the pictures.  :biker:
 
My CB1100 has been on a ferry a few times... from Balboa Island to Newport Beach. It's about a 5 minute ride and saves about 15 minutes of riding around to the bridge on Balboa. More of a novelty than anything else, but hey, your bike is on a boat!
 
On Friday, my CB1100 brought me some mental solace, along with a bleeding skull and visual distraction for work.

Friday started out as a an easy run with an anticipated early end, which would have ended with a long bike ride to the beach. But, an emergency call right after I finished my sandwich around the corner from our drop-off point at a medical research center kicked the day into a 350 mile, eight-hour stint in the saddle. Along the way, I saw something my mind couldn't shake loose.
A few locals will know where I'm talking about, but The 134 freeway narrows a bit and forms a chicane where it swings under The 5, and it's a magnet for accidents. I imagine cars going too fast in the middle of the night are caught unaware by the quick right turn and lose control. More than once, I've been stopped by CHP in that spot as they hold up all traffic to let a tow truck drag a wrecked car away. But Friday the sight was horrific. A low-boy flatbed and a crane on the shoulder, reaching for something that must have crashed hard enough to have gone into the bushes away from the roadway into a shallow ravine. One lane on the left side was open, and as I crawled past, concentrating on the cars to either side of me, I caught a glimpse of a mashed up wad of something dark blue being brought up by the crane. For a solid 1/8 mile past the spot pushed to the right shoulder was a strewn mess of suspension parts, wheels, shattered plastic and other bits.

Moved on past the mess and made my delivery. The emergency call turned me around to head back in the other direction, and I started rolling. When I was about 15 miles East of the accident site, I came up behind that low-boy flatbed truck from earlier, being escorted by two CHP cars, one in front and one behind. On the truck was a twisted mass that, to my best guess, was once a pick-up truck. I'm a truck guy and I couldn't tell what kind it used to be. I could tell that resuers had peeled sheet metal away from what was the cab to extract the occupants. I used to be an insurance accident scene investigaor many, many moons ago, and am a bit jaded when it comes to car crashes, but this image shook me.

Got home at the end of the day, and all I wanted was some garage therapy to clear my mid of that image. What better way than to polish the headers on my CB. I hadn't since the DGR, and the gold tinge was starting to give way to those tiny little black dots. Grabbed a rag and my Blue Magic, leaned over, and thunk. Yup, banged my head into a fin on the cylinder head. I have the worst up-close depth perception. I bang my head a lot. But 20 minutes later, my pipes looked sweeter than ever, and I felt pretty good!

I don't consider myself an entertainer, but when I give a two-hour tour at the museum, I realize that a group of people will be staring at my bald head for most of that time, as noise comes out of that head, spewing car stuff. If you are in a position where people stare at your head, and it does not have hair on it, it's probably a good idea to avoid activities that damage the head. Or heck, just wear a hat. The Petersen dress code specifies "no hats or headgear are to be worn with the provided uniform". But, I wear a hat. My head usually features some sort of distracting scratch, scrape or gash. Nobody has ever told me to remove my hat. They know that there's probably something nasty under there. Five out of 10 times, it's come from my CB1100. Whacking my head on the engine polishing pipes, detailing, or doing maintanence. The other five times are from the combined fleet of cars and bikes. I get bit by the CB1100 most frequently.

I selected a fine Goorin flat cap for Saturday morning's tour, kept my wound under said hat, and all was well. It is imperative to keep a collection of black hats if you're going to wear them over a head that might give it a drop of blood or two. Won't show.

My cat loves me. We play and he'll bite me in the process. I know he doesn't mean to harm me. We have a level of trust, and when we spend time playing, he knows he can give me a bite every now and then and not be punished for it. I hope my CB1100 thinks of me in the same way.
 
Hey, Gone In 60 --  your last post shows in "Recent Posts" column (for me, at least) as: "On Friday, my CB1100 brought me some men..."   

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:hilarious:

It is interesting that so many riders I know find solace in motorcycling, whether through riding, maintenance, or just posting on a web forum about motorcycles. Glad you found yours in cleaning your pipes. If you're ever feeling down and are in the Chicago area, feel free to look me up -- I have rags and sponges and polish enough to brighten you right up! :)
 
emptysea said:
Hey, Gone In 60 --  your last post shows in "Recent Posts" column (for me, at least) as: "On Friday, my CB1100 brought me some men..."   

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:hilarious:

It is interesting that so many riders I know find solace in motorcycling, whether through riding, maintenance, or just posting on a web forum about motorcycles.  Glad you found yours in cleaning your pipes.  If you're ever feeling down and are in the Chicago area, feel free to look me up -- I have rags and sponges and polish enough to brighten you right up!  :)


Ok, now that is funny. Reminds me of the SEMA (automotive performance industry) trade show many years ago. I worked for Holley Performance, and our booth was an aisle over from Firestone. Firestone's booth was promoting their heavy truck suspension air bags. There was a big elevated sign over that area that said "TRUCK STUFF". In front of this sign, at the same elevation, was the Firestone signature letter "F" rotating on a pole. 

I noticed, as I spoke with people in our booth about our products, that I was frequently distracted by what I thought was some kind of profanity in my peripheral vision. Didn't know what it was until I stopped and stared at the Firestone display. When the "F" rotated to a position parallel with "TRUCK STUFF", the "F" covered up the "TR", making the sign read "$UCK STUFF".

As more people noticed, there was some audible snickering in the area, and it didn't take long for the visual to show up on Instagram. From that point on, the "F" stopped rotating, and was in a position that was perpendicular to the rest of the sign.

And thank you for the offer to come clean your pipes, but now that I am Mentally Retired, I no longer travel to the greater Chicago area on a regular basis.
 
Gone in 60 said:
On Friday, my CB1100 brought me some mental solace, along with a bleeding skull and visual distraction for work.

Friday started out as a an easy run with an anticipated early end, which would have ended with a long bike ride to the beach. But, an emergency call right after I finished my sandwich around the corner from our drop-off point at a medical research center kicked the day into a 350 mile, eight-hour stint in the saddle. Along the way, I saw something my mind couldn't shake loose.
A few locals will know where I'm talking about, but The 134 freeway narrows a bit and forms a chicane where it swings under The 5, and it's a magnet for accidents. I imagine cars going too fast in the middle of the night are caught unaware by the quick right turn and lose control. More than once, I've been stopped by CHP in that spot as they hold up all traffic to let a tow truck drag a wrecked car away. But Friday the sight was horrific. A low-boy flatbed and a crane on the shoulder, reaching for something that must have crashed hard enough to have gone into the bushes away from the roadway into a shallow ravine. One lane on the left side was open, and as I crawled past, concentrating on the cars to either side of me, I caught a glimpse of a mashed up wad of something dark blue being brought up by the crane. For a solid 1/8 mile past the spot pushed to the right shoulder was a strewn mess of suspension parts, wheels, shattered plastic and other bits.

Moved on past the mess and made my delivery. The emergency call turned me around to head back in the other direction, and I started rolling. When I was about 15 miles East of the accident site, I came up behind that low-boy flatbed truck from earlier, being escorted by two CHP cars, one in front and one behind. On the truck was a twisted mass that, to my best guess, was once a pick-up truck. I'm a truck guy and I couldn't tell what kind it used to be. I could tell that resuers had peeled sheet metal away from what was the cab to extract the occupants. I used to be an insurance accident scene investigaor many, many moons ago, and am a bit jaded when it comes to car crashes, but this image shook me.

Got home at the end of the day, and all I wanted was some garage therapy to clear my mid of that image. What better way than to polish the headers on my CB. I hadn't since the DGR, and the gold tinge was starting to give way to those tiny little black dots. Grabbed a rag and my Blue Magic, leaned over, and thunk. Yup, banged my head into a fin on the cylinder head. I have the worst up-close depth perception. I bang my head a lot. But 20 minutes later, my pipes looked sweeter than ever, and I felt pretty good!

Having been in the fire service now for over a year I have seen some not so nice car accidents, just had one last night in 95 deg Wisconsin weather. Can't imagine how the emergency responders feel in your area Gone, those men and women must be 100% sweat after a call like that.
Seeing car accidents is no joke, it all happens so fast. The heaviest traffic I have been in is around the phoenix Arizona area with what feels like 10 lane traffic with everyone cruising at 90 mph and was very thankful every time I made it back to our hotel safely. 
One thing I have noticed on car accident scenes as a firefighter is the amount of oil, coolant and other fluids that come from a car that's been wrecked, as well as the billion little plastic and glass pieces that scatter around the road. We try to do our best job on scene to clean up the roadway for vehicles to pass through once we are done, using floor dry for spills and trying our best to get all of the debris picked up and off the road. The point I am getting at is we never are able to truly get it perfect. After my first accident I was at all I could think of is if I came through that area afterwards on my motorcycle, potentially hitting and oil slick or puncturing a tire from car debris. Last night's accident the oil pan shattered on one of the cars leaving a large oil slick on a curved area of the road. I mentioned to my captain we should try to clean up the oil since if a motorcycle came through, I have no doubt they would potentially crash their bike. We were able to get most of the oil cleaned up and bagged for disposal, but still the roadway was not perfectly clean. Something to keep in the back of your mind riding a motorcycle, areas from a previous accident can have debris & fluids around for long time. Another reason to keep your head on a swivel and pay good attention to the road and its conditions.  
Glad you made it home safe Gone, as well as anyone else here whenever they ride. It's a blessing to be able to ride a beautiful bike like the CB and even more of a blessing to return home to loved ones afterwards.
 
Good points, MagnaRider. I live in the Phoenix area and the streets and especially the freeways are fast, furious and dangerous. Ladders, wheelbarrows, mattresses and all other sorts of debris are common on the freeways and cause no end of excitement and the occasional wreck. Added to my advancing years (85) the driving conditions here took the fun out of riding.
 
Thanks for keeping riders and drivers safe in Wisconsin, Magna! My experience with post-crash cleanup was in drag racing. When a race car crashes there's debris, but when a production car crashes, the amount of glass, fluids, shattered plastic, etc makes for quite a lengthy cleanup. I imagine the difference is that on a drag strip, the crews work as fast as they can, but the track surface has to be surgically clean when they're done. The crowd can wait a while. On a roadway, if you're blocking lanes to clear wreckage, you're causing a traffic jam. Good enough, I imagine, has to be the best solution to get traffic flowing again.

Here on the Southern California freeways, the shoulders are strewn with debris that the tow truck drivers either don't want to take, or don't have the ability to take. Mostly bumper covers, with license plates still attached. To Nacho's point, we have armadas of landscapers, contractors and other workers on the highways with all sorts of things hanging off of their trucks. Trimmers, tools, ladders... oh my gosh so many ladders... all over the shoulders.

Interestingly, other debris you'll see can be set by the calendar. At the end of the month, lots of people move as their apartment leases are up. You'll see mattresses, smashed furniture and other household items that fell off of poorly packed trucks, or off the roofs of cars - I often muse that the average person has no idea how the aerodynamics of a mattress on the roof of a car works. Beginning of summer? Start counting folding chairs and barbecues that have come loose from pickup trucks heading to the beach.

Also, and this is most concering to motorcyclists, is blown tires. As we get into summer and the roads heat up, truck tires explode, neglected, seldom-used trailer tires on boats and RVs explode, leaving "road alligators" all over the highways.

Our routing app for medical deliveries kicks over to Waze for navigation, and streams my live position to both our dispatcher and the recipient for the delivery, and the directions are streamed to my helmet. Recently I've gone into Waze settings and have muted the "hazard ahead" and "object on road ahead" alerts, because they were so constant that they were just annoying rather than helpful.

So how does all of this roadside junk get cleaned up? Not sure about other areas, but we have periodic "Sweeper trains", that are rolling blockages of the right or left lanes of freeway traffic and shoulders. Led and followed by CHP cars, with dump trucks, pickup crews and a street sweeper truck, picking up the debris and leaving fairly clean shoulders.

On the one hand, it's a slight bother to come up on a traffic jam caused by a Sweeper Train, but I can slide through fairly easily. On the other hand, as a rider, I appreciate it. If I'm in the left lane at highway speed, it's common for the car in front to drift to the left thinking he's "helping" the rider in case he wants to lane split. These helpers usually run their left tires over the line on the shoulder, and when there's debris, it's kicking up at the rider. Good intentions, but more of a hazard than a help...
 
Gone, I lived in Florida until 1975 and frequently saw alligators on the road. Hit one of those and he'll get real mad. I drove a '68 VW Beetle in those days and an alligator could flip a Beetle. It was often difficult to tell if you were approaching a piece of a truck tire or an alligator. We had large turkey buzzards that would sit in the middle of the lane until you were right on top of them and then lift slowly up and up, arriving at just about the windshield height when you hit them. Fortunately, I wasn't riding a motorcycle in those days.
 
We don't have the real kind in California, just large, alligator-sized chunks of truck tire. I did see an alligator walking down the sidewalk last time I was in Sarasota, and yeah, I wouldn't want to hit that with a car or a bike.
 
Not exactly an 1100, but close enough?   I've been working my way towards the back of storage.   Drained the tank and the carbs needed a bit of TLC, but didn't take extraordinary measures to get it running....  After taking a break from this bike for a while, it always surprises me how well the rear drum brake works.

QryUT9a.jpeg


uN7YUP8.jpeg
 
The CB750 still looks wonderful to me, even after 50 years. Thanks for looking after it so well tommymck.
 
Thread starter
[quote="tommymck" pid='274892' dateline='1783022262']
Not exactly an 1100, but close enough? 
[/QUOTE]

You have an incredible motorcycle, and it does not surprise me that you could get it tuned up with minimal effort. It will run for another 20 years. I consider your CB750 to be the "OG" of modern motorcycles. I am proud our CB1100s have a direct lineage to it. David
 
Finally, finally, finally got a new rear tire, chain and brake pads on my beloved CB and took it for a 63-mile tire break in ride. 1st ride of the year for the CB. (there's a long explanation why, but I don't want to go into that). It's good to have it back.
 
Back
Top