What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Cormanus said:
Someone kindly gave me one of these

I believe that was me in remembrance of our first rally and your trip to the states

BTW I got 37,000 miles (60K km) out of my first chain and now have 42,000 miles (68K km) on it's replacement. I have another chain ready to go on soon.
 
Rode my CB1100 to Mom's yesterday. My Bonneville has been camping in her side garage since mid-January, as I made room for Superbird in my garage, and then the whole new job with the Blood Bike thing happened, and she wasn't exactly forgotten, just put on the back burner. Well, I don't like ignoring any of my two-wheeled children for that long and it was bugging me.

Mom had a new patio table delivered and needed me to look at the ice maker on her fridge and handle a few other chores, so I rode the CB down, did my chores, left the CB under a cover and on an Optimate tender, and rode the Triumph home. Mom will be going in for a hip surgery toward the end of April, so at the latest, I'll take either the Enfield (which is in a friend's garage), or the Triumph back down to Mom's to oversee her recovery, then bring the CB back home. Need to rotate bikes!
 
Got my new chain tightened up, rolls really smooth with no noise. The old one definitely made some noise when I spun the tire on the center stand. 
Question, how does one read the adjustment bar on the CB chain? The manual is confusing and I interpreted it as once the green/blue area is a sign of needing new chain? My new one put me right at the end of the green area which wasn't much different than where my old one sat on the indicator. 
I'm assuming that the green area is the life of the chain, once it gets past that it should be replaced? Probably my old chain was fine as far as stretch was concerned?

[attachment=1202]
 

Attachments

  • cb 25.webp
    cb 25.webp
    119.4 KB · Views: 126
I interpret it the same way.  On mine, the colored area is green instead of blue, and there's a red colored zone forward of the green which would indicate too much chain wear.
 
First ride of the year on the CB last night. New tires, chain and exhaust all worked great. New tires made a night and day difference, absolutely loved it. Got a good 50 miles on to get the winter cobwebs off. 
[attachment=1207]
 

Attachments

  • cb 26.webp
    cb 26.webp
    252.4 KB · Views: 98
March was a difficult month to get out much on the CB1100.  Did a 6 day trip on the DR650, early March lots of rain, and then family visiting.  But the rear tire was in bad shape, so I finally had the time today.  Replaced the worn Shinko sr741; cheap, but it only lasted 5k miles and had to push it a bit to get that out of it
uUppGtr.jpg


I don't mind if the bike gets dirty due to wet forest roads, but I hate working on dirty bikes, so I gave it a good wash before starting in with Rabaconda tire change #5.  Had to rewatch videos because I couldn't remember the details, but once I got going, things went smoothly.    

Bridgestone BT46
42oEe8Z.jpg
 
Riding the cb1100 home from work today, I turn right and start heading along a 4 lane, busy street with center lane for turns.  Within a few seconds I see a bicycle flash by ahead, a couple hundred meters distant.  It takes awhile for the brain to register what it's seeing...something dark rolling in the middle of one of the lanes opposite of my direction of travel.  I ease off the gas and start slowing as something doesn't look right... it's a guy on on the ground rolling back and forth in pain...he's wearing a mc helmet. 

Lady is just getting out of her car as I pull even with the scene, and I park the cb in the center turn-lane.  Lady exclaims something like "Did you see that cyclist!?  Came our of no-where!!" I'm looking at the guy writhing in pain on the ground, on-coming cars are slowing...I think.  Different lady gets out of her car, a young dude, too.  This lady starts talking to the injured motorcyclist, he's moving around a lot, trying to stand, but we calm him down.  He says it's his hip that hurts but that he wants to get out of the street.  IDK...is he ok to move?  I ask him if he feels like he can stand with help and says, yes--please.  Two of us help him take a few steps into some shady, grassy area and he lays down. Cars are starting to go around the motorcycle still in the middle of the two lanes, several pieces of motorcycle are strewn about.  I pick up all the pieces first and set them beside the guy.  I ask him if he wants me to move his bike and he seems fairly coherent and again, 'yes, please'.  It's a crotch-rocket type, maybe a 450cc-600 something, I didn't even notice, just trying to remember correct bike liftintg techniques while checking to see if traffic is going to stay stopped.  The grab bar breaks off in my hand, pretty sure it was broken in the fall, but I manage to get it up using back/legs, and roll it over to a parking area, next to where the guy is laying. 

Within 5 minutes, police are there, ambulance and fire truck arrive, too.  One of the police officers asks me if I was riding with the guy, whether I saw anything.  Since I hadn't, he says I can leave, but then asks if I'm an instructor at the local college--yep!  He's a former student of mine and says he uses the Spanish he learned from the classes he took with me quite a bit.  Good to hear that at least. 

Before I left the motorcyclist was saying loudly, "that was a FAST stop!!", sounding proud kind of.  Now I'm wondering if he's in shock.  Then it hits me: There was a marked cross walk, the bicyclist I saw briefly had "come out of nowhere" (according to the lady), and entered the cross-walk, she must have slammed on the brakes, and the motorcyclist behind her couldn't stop in time and hit her from behind and he landed hard on his right side, or his right side is what slammed into her car.  Or maybe it was the other way around...maybe he was able to stop quickly and the lady hit him from behind.   

I dislike these cross-walks...the scene of soooo many accidents. Pedestrians push a button, little yellow lights blink and heavy traffic must stop.  It's a mile between interesections, and people lose sight of the fact that there's a crosswalk half-way between the two major intersections.  The cross walks are incongruent with heavy traffic streets, cars traveling at 40mph.  I've nearly hit the car in front of me as they quickly stop--the vehicle(s) in front can obstruct your view if you are behind them--sometimes you can't see the yellow lights blinking.  If they want to put crosswalks in, then they should simply treat the crosswalks as intersections and use full fledged stoplights so drivers / riders can easily see the green/yellow/red lights with the lights hanging from above and not as small yellow blinking lights on signs that are 2 meters high.  As it is, a pedestrian presses the button, and immediately enters the cross walk because by law, cars must immediately stop.  There's no typical yellow light, then red to warn oncoming cars to stop ahead, just bang...yellow flashing, and pedestrian sometimes "challenges" on-coming car(s) to stop by entering street with no hesitation. 

As I left the EMT guys were beginning to work with the guy.  I rode home slower than normal.
 
I started mine. Its been awhile lol.
 
Thread starter
[quote="pdedse" pid='273778' dateline='1775695215']  It takes awhile for the brain to register what it's seeing...something dark rolling in the middle of one of the lanes opposite of my direction of travel. . . .As I left the EMT guys were beginning to work with the guy.  I rode home slower than normal.
[/QUOTE]

You are a kind soul, pdedse, and you managed this too familiar incident well. Bicycles are even less visible to motorists than motorcycles. I ride a carbon fiber Bianchi road bike. It is common for me to ride 25-28 mph (40-45 kph). Unfortunately, many people driving cars have no frame of reference regarding how fast a cyclist can close distance. For the reasons you witnessed, I would never use a crosswalk. I ride my bicycle similar to how I drive a motorcycle with the flow of traffic never crossing lanes without the assistance of a traffic light. David
 
Thanks for the story pdedse, its a good reminder to all of us how quickly things can happen on two or even four wheels.

On another note, I made it safely to work today for the first time this year on the CB.
(First time to work on the bike, every time has been safe)
 
Initially I was trying to keep the guy from getting up, not move, but he was pretty adamant about getting off the street.  With all the cars lurching forward, looking for a way to get around the guy and his bike, it seemed best to get him out of harm's way.  A few less-than-considerate drivers forced their way through even as two of us were helping him get to the side.  

I've lived in Costa Rica, spent a lot of time driving / riding in San José, the capital, which has terrible traffic problems, and sometimes it's rough for pedestrians to find a way to safely cross a busy road.  At some point, they installed simple stop lights to go with marked crosswalks, with the light hanging high above the road, visible from both directions and with the customary green-yellow-red sequence.  Easily seen and expected.  They seem to work very well, drivers are used to stoplights; pedestrians see a red light that turns to green for them.  

I rarely remember dreams, but last night I dreampt that someone tried to steal parts off my DR650 as it was parked at a trailer park.  Can't help but think my "nightmare" was related to what I saw yesterday afternoon.
 
Ugh, hate to see or even hear about that. Very good to stop and help the rider, that was a kind thing to do. I've helped a few downed riders in my time.
And, got a reminder yesterday during a delivery run. Freeway traffic slowed to a crawl, and up ahead, I saw a fire truck pulled diagonally to block the left lanes. That move is typical of a motorcycle accident where the truck is blocking a downed rider.

Cringed a bit as I approached, and sure enough, saw a rider laying on his back on the shoulder. Moving, rubbing his eyes, helmet still on. Just ahead was a Harley on its side, with front damage, and a car ahead of that with rear damage. Looked like traffic slowed and the bike rear-ended the car.
Police and EMTs were just arriving and I had a delivery on board, so no benefit in me stopping.

Be safe, everyone!
 
Rainy day yesterday, didn't get to ride into work but did a full detail on the CB last night. Used a ceramic coating on all the paint, cleaned the engine and its fins with a toothbrush and cleaned up my exhaust from a few melted on bug splatters.
 
I got a new battery too. And installed it.
 
Back
Top