What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Mrs. G is heading out on a long overseas vacation with her brother. Unfortunately, I can't take the time due to work commitments. To her, packing for a long trip is an event that takes a full day, with a few days of advanced planning. So, I headed out for a ride to get out of the way. I stopped to pick up lunch near Huntington Beach, and heard the unmistakable roar of twin radial engines approaching. When a B-25 flew overhead, I realized that the Huntington Beach Air Show was going on. I headed to the beach to sit on the grass near the beach to check out the action. 

Huntington Beach is known to be a town that prides itself on law enforcement. A few blocks away from the beach, I spotted this motor officer with his radar gun poised to catch speeders. I stopped to offer him my support for his service. I found his conversation to be a little... wooden. 
[attachment=794]

Parking around the beach is always in short supply on a sunny Sunday, but with the air show over the Huntington Beach Pier, it was non-existent. For cars, in any case. 
[attachment=795]
 

Attachments

  • B.webp
    B.webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 78
  • B1.webp
    B1.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 74
Rode to the top of a parking garage to try to get a dramatic shot of the big full moon. The iPhone camera made it seem quite a bit less spectacular.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5667.webp
    IMG_5667.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 70
Cormanus said:
Still an ok shot.

Thanks! I did some errands after work, and went to check out a Monday evening car gathering that I've always been curious about. I was near the parking garage at the Fullerton train station and noticed the full moon.
 
Had an interesting day. I was having dinner with a good friend on Friday evening. I had rolled up to the restaurant on my CB1100, and he commented that he hadn't seen this bike before, and said it reminded him of a Nighthawk 650 he had ridden many years ago. I said that the CB1100 was just the kind of bike to rekindle thoughts of vintage Honda models. 

As we chatted over dinner, he asked me what keeps me riding, as he gave it up years ago. He also never rode in California, and started in with the old chestnut of how dangerous lane splitting must be. I said that one of the things I enjoy the most is the funneling of all of the jumbled up thoughts that usually occupy my feeble brain into a singularity of thought and concentration that comes with riding, and especially lane splitting. 

I mentioned that it would be nice to find something else that also gave me that sense of concentration. He suggested that I try shooting, and invited me to the firing range that he was planning to go this morning, Sunday. I haven't fired a gun in years, but thought he had a good point about the concentration and focus required to hit a target with any degree of accuracy. 
[attachment=820]

I saddled up the CB1100 this morning and met him at the indoor range in his neighborhood. After a bit of coaching, I think I did fairly well for being so rusty. I did get into the same Zen-like focus I experience when I'm riding, and especially splitting. Might be something I need to look into further. Afterwards, my friend and I had lunch, and he gave me some good advice and direction. 

After lunch, I headed to the Bike Shed. In another thread I mentioned the Verge electric motorcycle, made in Finland and coming to the U.S. soon. The company rep invited me to come take a test ride whenever I felt like it, and being such a beautiful day, I figured why head home. With a target price of $34k for the entry version, it's not something I'd really consider obviously, but hey, why turn down the chance to check it out?
[attachment=821]

It was a very unique ride. Being electric, there's no shifting of course. Rather than a standard rear brake foot pedal on the right, rear brakes are controlled by the left hand like a scooter. With the standard riding mode, called "Range", there's so much resistance on the rear wheel due to regen when off the throttle that the rear brakes itself quite a bit. "Zen", another mode, eliminates regen and lets the bike freewheel when off the throttle. "Beast" mode offers the most acceleration, and gives a ton of neck-snapping speed. There's also a Custom mode that can be configured by the rider.

These modes can be viewed on an iPad-like screen on top of the "tank", and a small, aftermarket, and cheap-looking digital speedo tucks into the nacelle under the tiny windscreen. The rep assured me that by the time the bike comes to the U.S. market, both the dash and tank-top displays will be TFTs. And, they might install a foot pedal for the rear brake for the production version.

The bike felt interesting. A bit heavy. The hubless rear wheel motor felt smooth on acceleration and cruising, but slowing, you hear a sort of grinding noise, which the rep explained was caused by the resistance of the motor against the several magnets driving it. In fact, pushing the bike around, the rear wheel's resistance against the magnets give it a ratcheting feeling as it rolls. A very unique experience.

[attachment=822]
 

Attachments

  • Target (1).webp
    Target (1).webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Verge.webp
    Verge.webp
    78.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Target (2).webp
    Target (2).webp
    83.8 KB · Views: 44
US Law says the rear brake on "motorcycles" must be a right pedal, which is why the Honda DCT is set up like that. My nephew bought parts from Europe and changed his NC DCT to left hand rear brake. That's where it should be imo on the DCT models.

Glad you got to experience an electric although I think that one is weird compared to say a Zero SR, but at $34K I don't know who they expect will buy them. Young people who might tend to go electric can't afford them and older people won't pay that much for anything but a HArley lol. Plus outside of Cali there aren't enough charging stations to make riding an electric motorcycle feasible
 
Yeah, that was weird not having a foot brake. In "Zen Mode" when the bike was coasting and not naturally rear braking due to regen, My right foot went down looking for something that wasn't there. The rep was saying that there would be modifications to the bike when it does go on sale in the U.S., and I imagine a brake pedal will be one of them, along with TFT screens. Apparently what I tested yesterday was the version currently being sold in Europe.

And at $34k, yeah, pretty stiff. I mentioned the LiveWire bikes, which I've also test ridden, and commented that they have recently dropped the prices on them quite drastically. He said they're dropping the prices to blow out what they have because a new model is coming out that will be an improvement over LiveWire's current offerings.

The rep said that once they establish a foothold in the U.S. market with the bike I just rode, they intend to launch another model that will be closer to $40k, but will offer long range and very fast charging. I'm not hip to the different types and levels of electric chargers, but he said imagine range in the 300 mile area and eight minute charge time.

We'll see!
 
300 mile range and 8 min charge time sounds like I would be replacing expensive batteries often.
 
[quote="Gone in 60" pid='271341' dateline='1760369060']
imagine range in the 300 mile area and eight minute charge time.
[/QUOTE]


bwaahaahaaahaa yea, right
 
pdedse said:
From the look of you mounted on that thing, you're gonna hafta change your forum name to "Gone in 50"

Ha! Thank you sir.


the Ferret said:
Gone in 60 said:
imagine range in the 300 mile area and eight minute charge time.


bwaahaahaaahaa yea, right

A lofty claim... but for that money, I'd more than expect it! I wish them luck.

There were several riders at Bike Shed yesterday... so many that I had to do some tight maneuvering to get my CB1100 parked. And the Verge bikes were available for anyone to test ride. As far as I'm aware, at least for the time I was hanging out, I was the only person who took a ride. You'd think more people would at least be curious enough to take a free test ride.
 
An interesting footnote to my visit to Bike Shed yesterday. I was a little absent-minded when I got there, and left the key in the on position when I got off my bike. Part way through my visit, I noticed it and pulled the key. Didn't think much about it until I was saddling up to leave, and when I hit the start button, I didn't have enough juice to start. The bike that had been in front of me was gone, so I paddled forward as fast as I could in second gear, and tried to bump the clutch to start.

This immediately caught the attention of the parking attendant who usually stands at the entrance to the motorcycle parking area, holding any street traffic for bikes exiting, and pointing vaguely to where he'd like you to park when you roll in.

As soon as I foot-paddled once to try to bump-start, he was on me. "Need a push?" I replied that yes, I'd appreciate the help. He said he keeps his eye out for people who look like they've got weak or dead batteries. With a bit of a shove, I bumped the bike to a start, thanked him, and was on my way.
 
Gone in 60 said:
There were several riders at Bike Shed yesterday... so many that I had to do some tight maneuvering to get my CB1100 parked. And the Verge bikes were available for anyone to test ride. As far as I'm aware, at least for the time I was hanging out, I was the only person who took a ride. You'd think more people would at least be curious enough to take a free test ride.

I don't understand that at all.
 
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
I was the only person who took a ride. You'd think more people would at least be curious enough to take a free test ride.

They are probably scared of crashing a 34k bike.

....or they used Gone as a guinea pig..??, and were secretly watching him from around the corner  :P
 
peterbaron said:
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
I was the only person who took a ride. You'd think more people would at least be curious enough to take a free test ride.

They are probably scared of crashing a 34k bike.

....or they used Gone as a guinea pig..??, and were secretly watching him from around the corner  :P

Which brings up an interesting point... I've been on plenty of OEM demo rides. A few weeks ago, I wrung out a little Triumph 400 Scrambler during "Scrambler Demo Day". I showed my M1 license, they handed me a key, and I was told "Have fun, bring it back in 30 minutes please." 

But those are production bikes that are made by the thousands. The Verge was more like a prototype, and supposedly one of the few in the country for testing and display. And I showed my M1 license, the rep went over the bike and rode with me on our 20 minute test ride. At each stop, he commented "ok, now hit the button, let's try a different ride mode", but he had no idea of my riding skill or experience. If I did wad up the bike, wonder how much more of a tragedy it would have been than a $5k Triumph 400.
 
With M1 I would not even let you touch my bikes, you would only look at them from a safe distance, Gone  :P
 
what's an M1 license?

We just have a MC endorsement on our regular driver's Lic.
 
WuC0DgW.jpeg
What did I do ?  Well I collected it from nice man on a truck!  I am now officially the third owner of a 2017 CB1100 with about 6400 miles on it.  CLEAN too!  Its such a breath of fresh air to have a new one of these back in my life.  The 2017 has every advantage of the DLX with none of the disadvantages.

And as an aside, I didn't realize it til I parked the next to each other, but I am now the very proud owner of the two BEST retro motorcycles ever made.  The final year of the Triumph Thruxton RS and the final year (in USA) of the Honda CB1100. These two final incarnations represent a peak in an industry we will never see again. There will always be retro motorcycles on the market but they will never be this good again.
 
Back
Top