what bike did you never buy and will forever wish you did?

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
for me, the CBR650F

VFR1200F close second. difference is, I know how much it would have cost to maintain...
 
Well, with the benefit of hindsight, a CBX. At the time though, as a fairly new rider, it seemed to be overkill with 6 cylinders and too much power for me. Kawasaki Z1 was too much power (for me) too at the time.
 
‘01 Kawasaki W650. Test rode one, loved it, said I’d be back, a year passed, and they were gone.

Before that, it was a Henna Red ‘83 BMW R65LS with white snowflake wheels. Test rode one at the dealer and I was instantly smitten. But I was young with a meager income and couldn’t get a loan.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well, with the benefit of hindsight, a CBX. At the time though, as a fairly new rider, it seemed to be overkill with 6 cylinders and too much power for me. Kawasaki Z1 was too much power (for me) too at the time.
Yeah, for me also CBX1000. There's once a used unit for sales and I felt I don't have the financial means to keep her up... Now i can only imagine what she would be like... These kind of memory kind of remind me, wondering how certain crushes in highschool are doing now.....
 
LongRanger_imp said:
‘01 Kawasaki W650. Test rode one, loved it, said I’d be back, a year passed, and they were gone.

Before that, it was a Henna Red ‘83 BMW R65LS with white snowflake wheels. Test rode one at the dealer and I was instantly smitten. But I was young with a meager income and couldn’t get a loan.
Bingo!

runnering up: whatever my next one was going to be!
 


1990 Honda GB 500. A friend let me ride his, and I loved it. Then one came up for sale locally a few years ago, but I had just bought the CB and couldn't justify it. Soooo pretty.
 
For me there aren't any. Had I never ended up buying a Hawk GT later in life I would have answered this thread instantly with that as my choice. Nothing before or after the Hawk GT would truly qualify for me in an honest answer to this question with one exception. That is why I placed a deposit on my 2013 CB1100 long before they ever reached our shores.

The one side note that I would add to my post is this: There were a couple of times in the past where I could have obtained a really nice, original example of a blue-green 1970 Honda CB350 like the one my dad bought new if I had really tried to stretch to make it happen.



Such opportunities are now long gone as prices on those old CB350's have risen quite a bit over the past few years. While I would love to have one of those motorcycles and would surely enjoy it for what it is, I can't truthfully say that I will forever wish I had bought one. I'm actually perfectly happy with just the CB1100.*

*My apologies for the boorishly predictable answer, lol.
 
I would be torn between the 1984 Honda V65 Magna, and the 1986 Yamaha XJ 750X Maxim-X.

These bikes behave differently, but are exotic in my eyes. I really could go either way.

 
It somehow seemed a more manageable size than its larger sibling, the CB750, but I couldn’t afford it at the time.

de9dfb623114d112a5f63bc01fb1ac9e.jpg
 
Can’t really say that in the real world, that there’s a bike that I had some connection to, didn’t purchase yet had the opportunity to, and am still pining for. Which only leaves bikes in the range of onobtainium. I saw a Brough Superior in a museum. I didn’t buy it. Really would be nice to have one.
 
There are actually a few bikes that I wish I would have bought. The problem however is that I would want to keep all of these bikes, and I just don't have the space to do so!

The one that comes to mind right now was the MV Agusta Brutale 910 S in orange. Amazing bike, and I personally thought that orange and black version was just perfect. I still do...

 
I graduated college in winter semester of 82. Found work and immediately went to a dealer with intent of buying a GS1100E. I think it was the price of insurance that resulted in my buying an 82 GPZ550. That was one sexy machine, but I always wondered what it would have been like to have the 1100. A magazine at the time said it “was still accelerating hard enough at 100 mph to flatten your eyeballs”.
 
Henrik_imp said:
There are actually a few bikes that I wish I would have bought. The problem however is that I would want to keep all of these bikes, and I just don't have the space to do so!

The one that comes to mind right now was the MV Agusta Brutale 910 S in orange. Amazing bike, and I personally thought that orange and black version was just perfect. I still do...
A friend of mine bought a new silver/red 2006 MV Agusta 910S Brutale, and put less than 1000 miles on it before he wanted to sell it to me (for $5k!). I rode it and remember it had stiff rear shock compression damping that he couldn't adjust out, and it was as precise and direct as anything I could imagine.

And I would only be able to ride it at a fraction of its capability. But it was as beautiful as it was inappropriate for me. If I had the space and money to waste, I'd have it in my office and enjoy staring at it. I haven't dismissed that yet. One day, when internal-combustion machines are antiquated/outlawed.....
 
1980 Suzuki GS1000s Marriage and kids became my focal point but was able to ride again and have had some fun bikes including my current 3.
28a30e4d2816a00b7f9b81e0f023629b.jpg


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
another runner up for me would be a 1098, but like the VFR, just not practical for a person of my financial status
 
Back
Top