What bike did you 'lust' after?

Yep had the same experience this summer on a CB350 four. Thought I wanted a smaller bike with kick start like my old CB360. It felt too small!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
In 94 I was a home owner, father of a 3 year old, been married 9 years, and was TOTALLY in love with the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. Wasn't gonna happen. Now 20 years later, I simply can't let the Honda slip bye. If I can get a damn test ride that is. But I STILL regret not being able to buy that Kawasaki. At the time it was the only retro in town.
 
JustJohn_imp said:
In 94 I was a home owner, father of a 3 year old, been married 9 years, and was TOTALLY in love with the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. Wasn't gonna happen. Now 20 years later, I simply can't let the Honda slip bye. If I can get a damn test ride that is. But I STILL regret not being able to buy that Kawasaki. At the time it was the only retro in town.
Ah, the Zephyr. Basically a carbon copy of the KZ bikes of 10 years earlier. I was shopping for a new ride in the mid 90s too and thought I was going to end up with a Zephyr, but by that time Kaw had given up trying to sell the Zephyr in the U.S. and the Honda Nighthawk 750 was the only mid-large UJM you could buy. I bought the Nighthawk and still have it. Wouldn't mind having a Zephyr to keep the CBs company.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
JustJohn_imp said:
In 94 I was a home owner, father of a 3 year old, been married 9 years, and was TOTALLY in love with the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. Wasn't gonna happen. Now 20 years later, I simply can't let the Honda slip bye. If I can get a damn test ride that is. But I STILL regret not being able to buy that Kawasaki. At the time it was the only retro in town.
Ah, the Zephyr. Basically a carbon copy of the KZ bikes of 10 years earlier. I was shopping for a new ride in the mid 90s too and thought I was going to end up with a Zephyr, but by that time Kaw had given up trying to sell the Zephyr in the U.S. and the Honda Nighthawk 750 was the only mid-large UJM you could buy. I bought the Nighthawk and still have it. Wouldn't mind having a Zephyr to keep the CBs company.
Ah, the Zephyr. Basically a carbon copy of the KZ bikes of 10 years earlier. I was shopping for a new ride in the mid 90s too and thought I was going to end up with a Zephyr, but by that time Kaw had given up trying to sell the Zephyr in the U.S. and the Honda Nighthawk 750 was the only mid-large UJM you could buy. I bought the Nighthawk and still have it. Wouldn't mind having a Zephyr to keep the CBs company.
They're hard to find. Cycletrader has some, but there in the U.K. Guess not too many sold here. There was a 550 and 750 too if I remember right?
 
JustJohn_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
JustJohn_imp said:
In 94 I was a home owner, father of a 3 year old, been married 9 years, and was TOTALLY in love with the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. Wasn't gonna happen. Now 20 years later, I simply can't let the Honda slip bye. If I can get a damn test ride that is. But I STILL regret not being able to buy that Kawasaki. At the time it was the only retro in town.
Ah, the Zephyr. Basically a carbon copy of the KZ bikes of 10 years earlier. I was shopping for a new ride in the mid 90s too and thought I was going to end up with a Zephyr, but by that time Kaw had given up trying to sell the Zephyr in the U.S. and the Honda Nighthawk 750 was the only mid-large UJM you could buy. I bought the Nighthawk and still have it. Wouldn't mind having a Zephyr to keep the CBs company.
Ah, the Zephyr. Basically a carbon copy of the KZ bikes of 10 years earlier. I was shopping for a new ride in the mid 90s too and thought I was going to end up with a Zephyr, but by that time Kaw had given up trying to sell the Zephyr in the U.S. and the Honda Nighthawk 750 was the only mid-large UJM you could buy. I bought the Nighthawk and still have it. Wouldn't mind having a Zephyr to keep the CBs company.
They're hard to find. Cycletrader has some, but there in the U.K. Guess not too many sold here. There was a 550 and 750 too if I remember right?
They also sold the 1100 here. Although they were only offered for a few years in the U.S., they were very popular in Europe and Japan throughout the end of the 90s. That's where you'll find most of them.
 
Ahh yes, the Zephyr. I did lust after the 750 as well, and I still think it is a very good looking bike. After that I wanted a Triumph Thunderbird T309RT that came out in 94. I really loved that bike and the triple engine, but somehow at the time I ended up getting a Honda XLV750 Africa Twin.

More recently I wanted an MV Agusta Brutale 910S. There was a stunning orange and black version that I was very close to buying. I think the only problem was that I was a bit too cramped on the bike, and I ended up getting a Moto Morini Corsaro. Still, that Brutale remains in my opinion a modern sculpture that I would not mind putting in my living room.

And finally, this year it was the BMW R9T, but I ended up with the Honda CB1100EX and I certainly don't regret it!

However, the very first bike I lusted after as a kid was an XR75. Never got one, just like the CB900F Bol d'Or I also wanted a bit later.
 
There is one more bike I have lusted after for some time. At first I wanted a Ducat Paul Smart Replica, but the bike I really want is the Ducati 1000S in black.





Managed to find one for sale here earlier this year, but just missed it. I Know it is painful to ride, but I just love it.
 
Back
Top