What are the odds? An old flame encounter...

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I love riding my motorcycles...particularly when there's a new route to discover, a hike thrown in at some point, a friend to visit...today was a good day to go look at a bike.

I love my CB1100ex, but sometimes I wonder: if the Kawasaki W800 had come out at the same time in 2017, would I have chosen it instead? (in the U.S., the W800 arrived in 2019). The W's engine vibe is completely different than that of the CB's, but it's a feel that simply makes me happy. Recently, a 2022 W800 (RED!) came up for sale near me...less than 300 miles...for $5,000. I called the guy right away and set up a day/time to meet him and buy the bike.

But then "reason" started to kick in: I already have 3 bikes, and two of these are "classic" looking (Royal Enfield INT650). And I didn't have room for another bike...but dadgum, 5k was a great price. I thought I could sell the RE...but then I'd have 2 red classic bikes, and it just didn't seem right, so I told the guy no thanks.

Then I saw a 2021 BLUE W800 for sale in Kennewick, Washingtong, a mere 200 miles from me...a whopping 71 miles on it...but they want $8,000. I started toying with the idea that I've had 5 good years out of the CB1100, maybe I just ride there and see what would happen if I did trade-in...maybe an even swap: a '17 CB1100ex with 20k plus miles for a '21 W800 (BLUE!) w/ 71 miles.

So yesterday I verified the bike was unsold, planned a route and was on the road by 8:45 this morning. I can get to Kennewick in 3.5 hours if I take I-84 nearly all the way... actually it's a beautiful ride along the Columbia, but there are some 'new to me' routes that looked promising.

79d5855d8ad1ed102a2dac7cb112b912.jpg


Exited I-84 at Hood River to cross over the Columbia and into WA, then east on 14 to Lyle, where I headed north on hiway 142. This is a lovely stretch of road that follows a canyon through which passes the Klickitat River.

54ef0130ce9a3df33daca621db030e06.jpg


My brother and nephew both work for BNSF--train maintenance out of Topeka, Kansas, so this photo is for them:
3ac791b246a89e4ce024f62a5fd2e0fb.jpg


There were fisherman on the river--that seemed another great way to spend the day:
f958d198a424cc3a1e208277455f38b8.jpg

5ebb0182f295a5fee30c5926dbf684b1.jpg

9f9c01d1c423d31a916e5bf79fd6ee31.jpg


Made it to Goldendale a little before noon, and then took Bickleton Hiway toward the town of the same name. Was not expecting this!
7f13c92dd730554c26591160d6d59260.jpg

It only lasted 2 miles, but a lot of the rock was loose and deep. The rest of the road was farming and spectacular views.
7720115882dab5109bb6ec6aa008ce6a.jpg

ac6e8bc2bac63099d604d10950b872ff.jpg

bf09c43cc829369dd0061664cd47ac00.jpg


Then north by northeast, heading towards Mobton down below:
43ee3d23316ed20d4912ac403a6a1b7b.jpg

a69635d20882fa95b23a65baa79e9c7e.jpg


It was getting a little later than I wanted, so I hopped on I-82 and buzzed over to Kennewick where I was in for a bit of a surprise...
...I rode 200 miles to see a blue, 2021 W800. But the first bike that caught my eye was a 2020 W800 café model--the UPS brown one. It has the same engine as the base model, but handlebars and blacked out engine are the big differences ergonomically and visually.
35235921e4436a770ceecfbf4f542e3b.jpg


I just stared at it for a few moments, remebering the one I had purchased Sept of 2021. I had always wanted a W, but already had the CB so I never seriously considered buying one. But then they started selling the leftovers café versions for only $6k, so I decided I'd try it for a year...put 4200 miles on it and then sold it for 6,200 to RumbleOn, an online bike buying company.

I started looking over this café version and I noticed it had Grip Puppies on it. That was meaningful to me, because I had put GP on mine. I asked the guy about mileage, and he said just over 4200. Hmm. I asked him if by chance they purchased it through RumbleOn and he said they did! I asked when and he said back in Sept of last year--right when I sold mine!! They checked the vin for me, and sure enough, this was MY Kawasaki W800 café that I owned for a year!

d72977c8a6bb4fcfef1aff788ee61802.jpg


Could not believe it...what are the odds that of all the dealerships that cold have bought my bike from Rumble, that it was this one, the very one I was visiting today? And to look at another W!! It was good to see bike again. They were asking 7,800, which I think they'll be hard pressed to get.

Anyway, salesperson and I had a good laugh about it.

But I was there to see the BLUE:
7b28c76f2e84cd595a4b0cb22b67cfb9.jpg

658249cec8e0828e9d7502a466b6ba48.jpg


It looked pretty...even had the all-important matching side covers!!
4422361d8df0ea57e6922574c3f72097.jpg

c9bf83cec678b3ba0dacf7c6545e1c61.jpg


But I just wasn't feeling it...nothing about it said "I'm much better than the CB1100 / look at me, I'm BLUE...not red! / buy me today and trade in that hefty thing you call a classic motorcycle!"...nope...it said nothing. Still, it was fun to hear it start up, sit on it...a very fine bike--but I actually like the 2023 slate blue that's starting to show up in dealerships. Within a year, they should start dropping the prices when scores of them are still on the floors. Then it will be 'adios' RE INT650, and maybe, just maybe I'll finally own a blue motorcycle.
I only spent about an hour at the dealership, and then it was time to ride another 200 miles back home. But this time I would take 14 on the WA side, and then 84 on the OR side to get home before dark.

From Rowen point, used my Canon Powershot SX740 to get some photos of the wind surfers / kite-boarders playing in the Columbia:
9a70cb345a13f5eb82e547ae56824d56.jpg

771b60b23bf2c5f0acff63fb07993ec8.jpg


Not sure what these guys were playing at, but cool to see them zoom above the river:
dc86552f74c16d7ddaefa98a6086d0a9.jpg

73694e35848cb2caaf28a52575fcb033.jpg


There's the mouth of the Kickitat River, where I had started the fun portion of the ride in the morning...now looking at it from the OR side:
7a4899ae1b469e7d5e5b749edd94ef8f.jpg


Sun taking its time going down...it will be light out till 9:30...gotta love the long summer days!
28d193982c77733b6b53244ed18577a7.jpg

cc63d5df3def569dede1c42e51c33dc1.jpg


And Scenic Hiway 30 never disappoints...
f426813983f447b08c540149b1ec0f5a.jpg

c0284ca823197cc35122874d820a028f.jpg


The other reason I did this trip was to see if how well I can manage an all-day ride. This started at 8:45 and I was back home by 8:30pm. About 420 miles. That's not bad because I've got at least one, hopefully 2 multi-day trips planned for the summer, and need to build up the riding stamina.

Still can't get over coming across an old flame.
 
Wow, man, the ride alone was worth it!
What great scenery. Glad you didn’t sell the CB.

Get that stamina up and hit the road!
 
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
 
pdedse_imp said:
I love riding my motorcycles...particularly when there's a new route to discover, a hike thrown in at some point, a friend to visit...today was a good day to go look at a bike.

I love my CB1100ex, but sometimes I wonder: if the Kawasaki W800 had come out at the same time in 2017, would I have chosen it instead? (in the U.S., the W800 arrived in 2019). The W's engine vibe is completely different than that of the CB's, but it's a feel that simply makes me happy. Recently, a 2022 W800 (RED!) came up for sale near me...less than 300 miles...for $5,000. I called the guy right away and set up a day/time to meet him and buy the bike.

But then "reason" started to kick in: I already have 3 bikes, and two of these are "classic" looking (Royal Enfield INT650). And I didn't have room for another bike...but dadgum, 5k was a great price. I thought I could sell the RE...but then I'd have 2 red classic bikes, and it just didn't seem right, so I told the guy no thanks.

Then I saw a 2021 BLUE W800 for sale in Kennewick, Washingtong, a mere 200 miles from me...a whopping 71 miles on it...but they want $8,000. I started toying with the idea that I've had 5 good years out of the CB1100, maybe I just ride there and see what would happen if I did trade-in...maybe an even swap: a '17 CB1100ex with 20k plus miles for a '21 W800 (BLUE!) w/ 71 miles.

So yesterday I verified the bike was unsold, planned a route and was on the road by 8:45 this morning. I can get to Kennewick in 3.5 hours if I take I-84 nearly all the way... actually it's a beautiful ride along the Columbia, but there are some 'new to me' routes that looked promising.

79d5855d8ad1ed102a2dac7cb112b912.jpg


Exited I-84 at Hood River to cross over the Columbia and into WA, then east on 14 to Lyle, where I headed north on hiway 142. This is a lovely stretch of road that follows a canyon through which passes the Klickitat River.

54ef0130ce9a3df33daca621db030e06.jpg


My brother and nephew both work for BNSF--train maintenance out of Topeka, Kansas, so this photo is for them:
3ac791b246a89e4ce024f62a5fd2e0fb.jpg


There were fisherman on the river--that seemed another great way to spend the day:
f958d198a424cc3a1e208277455f38b8.jpg

5ebb0182f295a5fee30c5926dbf684b1.jpg

9f9c01d1c423d31a916e5bf79fd6ee31.jpg


Made it to Goldendale a little before noon, and then took Bickleton Hiway toward the town of the same name. Was not expecting this!
7f13c92dd730554c26591160d6d59260.jpg

It only lasted 2 miles, but a lot of the rock was loose and deep. The rest of the road was farming and spectacular views.
7720115882dab5109bb6ec6aa008ce6a.jpg

ac6e8bc2bac63099d604d10950b872ff.jpg

bf09c43cc829369dd0061664cd47ac00.jpg


Then north by northeast, heading towards Mobton down below:
43ee3d23316ed20d4912ac403a6a1b7b.jpg

a69635d20882fa95b23a65baa79e9c7e.jpg


It was getting a little later than I wanted, so I hopped on I-82 and buzzed over to Kennewick where I was in for a bit of a surprise...
...I rode 200 miles to see a blue, 2021 W800. But the first bike that caught my eye was a 2020 W800 café model--the UPS brown one. It has the same engine as the base model, but handlebars and blacked out engine are the big differences ergonomically and visually.
35235921e4436a770ceecfbf4f542e3b.jpg


I just stared at it for a few moments, remebering the one I had purchased Sept of 2021. I had always wanted a W, but already had the CB so I never seriously considered buying one. But then they started selling the leftovers café versions for only $6k, so I decided I'd try it for a year...put 4200 miles on it and then sold it for 6,200 to RumbleOn, an online bike buying company.

I started looking over this café version and I noticed it had Grip Puppies on it. That was meaningful to me, because I had put GP on mine. I asked the guy about mileage, and he said just over 4200. Hmm. I asked him if by chance they purchased it through RumbleOn and he said they did! I asked when and he said back in Sept of last year--right when I sold mine!! They checked the vin for me, and sure enough, this was MY Kawasaki W800 café that I owned for a year!

d72977c8a6bb4fcfef1aff788ee61802.jpg


Could not believe it...what are the odds that of all the dealerships that cold have bought my bike from Rumble, that it was this one, the very one I was visiting today? And to look at another W!! It was good to see bike again. They were asking 7,800, which I think they'll be hard pressed to get.

Anyway, salesperson and I had a good laugh about it.

But I was there to see the BLUE:
7b28c76f2e84cd595a4b0cb22b67cfb9.jpg

658249cec8e0828e9d7502a466b6ba48.jpg


It looked pretty...even had the all-important matching side covers!!
4422361d8df0ea57e6922574c3f72097.jpg

c9bf83cec678b3ba0dacf7c6545e1c61.jpg


But I just wasn't feeling it...nothing about it said "I'm much better than the CB1100 / look at me, I'm BLUE...not red! / buy me today and trade in that hefty thing you call a classic motorcycle!"...nope...it said nothing. Still, it was fun to hear it start up, sit on it...a very fine bike--but I actually like the 2023 slate blue that's starting to show up in dealerships. Within a year, they should start dropping the prices when scores of them are still on the floors. Then it will be 'adios' RE INT650, and maybe, just maybe I'll finally own a blue motorcycle.
I only spent about an hour at the dealership, and then it was time to ride another 200 miles back home. But this time I would take 14 on the WA side, and then 84 on the OR side to get home before dark.

From Rowen point, used my Canon Powershot SX740 to get some photos of the wind surfers / kite-boarders playing in the Columbia:
9a70cb345a13f5eb82e547ae56824d56.jpg

771b60b23bf2c5f0acff63fb07993ec8.jpg


Not sure what these guys were playing at, but cool to see them zoom above the river:
dc86552f74c16d7ddaefa98a6086d0a9.jpg

73694e35848cb2caaf28a52575fcb033.jpg


There's the mouth of the Kickitat River, where I had started the fun portion of the ride in the morning...now looking at it from the OR side:
7a4899ae1b469e7d5e5b749edd94ef8f.jpg


Sun taking its time going down...it will be light out till 9:30...gotta love the long summer days!
28d193982c77733b6b53244ed18577a7.jpg

cc63d5df3def569dede1c42e51c33dc1.jpg


And Scenic Hiway 30 never disappoints...
f426813983f447b08c540149b1ec0f5a.jpg

c0284ca823197cc35122874d820a028f.jpg


The other reason I did this trip was to see if how well I can manage an all-day ride. This started at 8:45 and I was back home by 8:30pm. About 420 miles. That's not bad because I've got at least one, hopefully 2 multi-day trips planned for the summer, and need to build up the riding stamina.

Still can't get over coming across an old flame.
Excellent, excellent journey pdedse. A very nice share.
 
Great day out pdedse. The W800 classic look is the best of the bunch, looks great in Blue and the Green model. I have ridden the older 2015 model with the rear drum brake, that updated version looks great. Cracking bikes with the old 360 crank layout which makes them nostalgically a bit special. Some round trip. I would of taken that red for $5K in a heartbeat.
 
Great day pdedse. Love that waterfall.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, man, the ride alone was worth it!
What great scenery. Glad you didn’t sell the CB.

Get that stamina up and hit the road!
Was going to try a Portland to San Diego trip here in June, but daughter had too many plans...tentatively thinking early September, right after Labor Day. I thought I might try it on the INT650. Would love to stop by and say 'hola', compare bikes whether on the CB or the INT.
Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
I was pretty sure that was going to be the case for me. Mainly, I wanted an extra reason to ride in the area I did. Having owned a W800 prior, I didn't push a test ride. I wanted to "test ride" the visual aspect of the blue, and it didn't disappoint.

Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model. The bike in photo hadn't been ridden a single mile since I sold it last September, the only mod to it was the Grip Puppies. It looked dusty and a bit neglected.
Tev62_imp said:
Great day out pdedse. The W800 classic look is the best of the bunch, looks great in Blue and the Green model. I have ridden the older 2015 model with the rear drum brake, that updated version looks great. Cracking bikes with the old 360 crank layout which makes them nostalgically a bit special. Some round trip. I would of taken that red for $5K in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with all of that. In retrospect, I should have bought that bike for 5k, and then either ordered a blue tank and sold the red, or I thought later I could have the red painted green and cream, the colors of the 2001 W650:

6f76ef4f52389dd53f66a9fd61b4d6e1.jpg


I love this color combo and paint design on the 650--the tank pads flow with the cream and the overall tank design. Just beautiful. I think Kawasaki could have been a little more creative with the white tank stripe on the W800:

85f4646df8e3080ebf389b4fffc34f6c.jpg


It's not a bad look, just that I prefer the curvy nature of the green / cream on the 2001.

Oh well, the one that got away.
 
You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I have neighbors who just moved here from Oregon and keep saying, "I didn't know it would be so HOT here! How can anyone live in a place this HOT? Why did I ever leave Oregon?"
Such a nice place to ride. I have great memories of riding to Mt Ranier with my cousin a few years back. Thanks for sharing.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, man, the ride alone was worth it!
What great scenery. Glad you didn’t sell the CB.

Get that stamina up and hit the road!
Was going to try a Portland to San Diego trip here in June, but daughter had too many plans...tentatively thinking early September, right after Labor Day. I thought I might try it on the INT650. Would love to stop by and say 'hola', compare bikes whether on the CB or the INT.
Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
I was pretty sure that was going to be the case for me. Mainly, I wanted an extra reason to ride in the area I did. Having owned a W800 prior, I didn't push a test ride. I wanted to "test ride" the visual aspect of the blue, and it didn't disappoint.

Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model. The bike in photo hadn't been ridden a single mile since I sold it last September, the only mod to it was the Grip Puppies. It looked dusty and a bit neglected.
Tev62_imp said:
Great day out pdedse. The W800 classic look is the best of the bunch, looks great in Blue and the Green model. I have ridden the older 2015 model with the rear drum brake, that updated version looks great. Cracking bikes with the old 360 crank layout which makes them nostalgically a bit special. Some round trip. I would of taken that red for $5K in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with all of that. In retrospect, I should have bought that bike for 5k, and then either ordered a blue tank and sold the red, or I thought later I could have the red painted green and cream, the colors of the 2001 W650:

6f76ef4f52389dd53f66a9fd61b4d6e1.jpg


I love this color combo and paint design on the 650--the tank pads flow with the cream and the overall tank design. Just beautiful. I think Kawasaki could have been a little more creative with the white tank stripe on the W800:

85f4646df8e3080ebf389b4fffc34f6c.jpg


It's not a bad look, just that I prefer the curvy nature of the green / cream on the 2001.

Oh well, the one that got away.
Lovely snap of the lump, pdedse.
 
Great stuff as usual pdedse!

I like my NC, veryy efficient motorcycle, light weight etc, but I love my CB. Probably the best bike Ive ever owned. The mileage on it now has made me put it in preservation mode ie: occasional ride status. Even so if I could only have one bike in the garage, it would be the CB, and I would just cut back on my riding.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Beautiful ride! Do you think it would have been as doable on the W800?
Oh yes! The w800 cafe version I had was very capable speed wise, and I was out in this same neck of the woods last week on my RE INT650. Both bikes ergonomically are just a tad smaller / tighter than the CB1100, but nothing that would hinder one--except the "club" handlebars on the W800 cafe--too bent over and forward for me for long distances. 1-2 hours, no problem, and quite fun.

Where the CB1100 does a lot better is in the wind. It's sure-footed, and just plows throught the gusts even when these reach 30mph, which is not uncommon in the Columbia River Gorge. The INT and w800 both get blown around a bit...nothing dangerous, but noticeable.

Gas mileage dropped considerably riding the CB against the wind doing 75mp: 35mpg.
The ferret_imp said:
Great stuff as usual pdedse!

I like my NC, veryy efficient motorcycle, light weight etc, but I love my CB. Probably the best bike Ive ever owned. The mileage on it now has made me put it in preservation mode ie: occasional ride status. Even so if I could only have one bike in the garage, it would be the CB, and I would just cut back on my riding.
How many miles do you have now on the CB? Over 60k, isn't it?
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, man, the ride alone was worth it!
What great scenery. Glad you didn’t sell the CB.

Get that stamina up and hit the road!
Was going to try a Portland to San Diego trip here in June, but daughter had too many plans...tentatively thinking early September, right after Labor Day. I thought I might try it on the INT650. Would love to stop by and say 'hola', compare bikes whether on the CB or the INT.
Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
I was pretty sure that was going to be the case for me. Mainly, I wanted an extra reason to ride in the area I did. Having owned a W800 prior, I didn't push a test ride. I wanted to "test ride" the visual aspect of the blue, and it didn't disappoint.

Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model. The bike in photo hadn't been ridden a single mile since I sold it last September, the only mod to it was the Grip Puppies. It looked dusty and a bit neglected.
Tev62_imp said:
Great day out pdedse. The W800 classic look is the best of the bunch, looks great in Blue and the Green model. I have ridden the older 2015 model with the rear drum brake, that updated version looks great. Cracking bikes with the old 360 crank layout which makes them nostalgically a bit special. Some round trip. I would of taken that red for $5K in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with all of that. In retrospect, I should have bought that bike for 5k, and then either ordered a blue tank and sold the red, or I thought later I could have the red painted green and cream, the colors of the 2001 W650:

6f76ef4f52389dd53f66a9fd61b4d6e1.jpg


I love this color combo and paint design on the 650--the tank pads flow with the cream and the overall tank design. Just beautiful. I think Kawasaki could have been a little more creative with the white tank stripe on the W800:

85f4646df8e3080ebf389b4fffc34f6c.jpg


It's not a bad look, just that I prefer the curvy nature of the green / cream on the 2001.

Oh well, the one that got away.
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model.
Hehe, who inspired whom?

864a87f4543bb61c06bba6d06629ae25.jpg


969d6c75f3d8322c13c2fd2540044014.jpg
 
Thread starter
Hovmod_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, man, the ride alone was worth it!
What great scenery. Glad you didn’t sell the CB.

Get that stamina up and hit the road!
Was going to try a Portland to San Diego trip here in June, but daughter had too many plans...tentatively thinking early September, right after Labor Day. I thought I might try it on the INT650. Would love to stop by and say 'hola', compare bikes whether on the CB or the INT.
Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
I was pretty sure that was going to be the case for me. Mainly, I wanted an extra reason to ride in the area I did. Having owned a W800 prior, I didn't push a test ride. I wanted to "test ride" the visual aspect of the blue, and it didn't disappoint.

Hovmod_imp said:
Great pictures!
Last year, I test rode (not sure, but probably around) twelve bikes that each had tickled me in some way, and every time I ended up keeping my CB. The closest call was a Ducati, but my girlfriend hated sitting on it, and I love riding with her, so no Multistrada for me. Taking the CB1100 home every time became such a pattern, nobody believed I would trade it, and now neither do I.

That front fairing on the W800 looks exactly like the one I have on my RS, it's from Samurider, isn't it?
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model. The bike in photo hadn't been ridden a single mile since I sold it last September, the only mod to it was the Grip Puppies. It looked dusty and a bit neglected.
Tev62_imp said:
Great day out pdedse. The W800 classic look is the best of the bunch, looks great in Blue and the Green model. I have ridden the older 2015 model with the rear drum brake, that updated version looks great. Cracking bikes with the old 360 crank layout which makes them nostalgically a bit special. Some round trip. I would of taken that red for $5K in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with all of that. In retrospect, I should have bought that bike for 5k, and then either ordered a blue tank and sold the red, or I thought later I could have the red painted green and cream, the colors of the 2001 W650:

6f76ef4f52389dd53f66a9fd61b4d6e1.jpg


I love this color combo and paint design on the 650--the tank pads flow with the cream and the overall tank design. Just beautiful. I think Kawasaki could have been a little more creative with the white tank stripe on the W800:

85f4646df8e3080ebf389b4fffc34f6c.jpg


It's not a bad look, just that I prefer the curvy nature of the green / cream on the 2001.

Oh well, the one that got away.
If you mean on the brown W800 café, that fairing is stock for the café model.
Hehe, who inspired whom?

864a87f4543bb61c06bba6d06629ae25.jpg


969d6c75f3d8322c13c2fd2540044014.jpg
Wow, that is similar... transparent part has a slightly different cut, but the silver base looks identical.
 
This thread reminded me that I recently ran across one of my old flames!

Back in 2019, my '07 R1200R's ABS system was becoming troublesome. As many aging German machines do, they perform brilliantly until they become expensive to continue doing so.

It was time to fish or cut bait. Rather than pay over half of what the bike was worth for repairs, I sold it. Got very lucky too... the buyer was not phased by the wonky ABS, saying he just wanted the cleanest example of my bike he could find for his static living room collection. Ok, whatever floats your boat, right?

The guy paid me exactly what I ended up paying for my current CB1100 a few days later.

Lo and behold, a few months ago while checking out the new Cars and Coffee in San Clemente, perusing the long row of parked motorcycles, one of them had a familiar black tank with white pinstripes. It was my old bike. Still almost as clean as I had left it. I hung around and checked on it while I was there to see if it was still owned by the guy whom I sold it to. Nobody returned to the bike before I had to leave, so it remains a mystery.
 
Back
Top