What are the "must haves" for a lot of riding?

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some of you have run into me in my "decision" thread. The decision is made!

I need to plan the funds needed to outfit the bike for a lot of riding. This will be no garage queen. The bike will see around 6,000 miles a year.

Here's what I think I need:
[ul] [li]Removable, effective fairing or windscreen that looks fairly awesome[/li] [li]Side cases, soft (OK) or stylish hard (preferred)[/li] [li]Cushioned grips that are attractive, effective, and durable[/li] [li]Electrical power distribution for phone and GPS (sacrilege perhaps)[/li] [li]Comfort seat options[/li] [li]Tank scratch protection[/li] [li]Appearance upgrades (chrome gauge trim, etc.)
[/li][/ul]
Seeking recommendations...
 
Personally, I don't think you need saddlebags/side cases, but there are several options out there.

My foam slip on grips have held up for 14,000 miles and cost about $15

Tank slapper makes a clear protector for our bike, I think.

Accessories: RLETS. Metalmaven License Plate Bracket.
 
For me, magnetic tank bag, tail bag, soft saddlebags, progrip 719 Gel grips, paper maps,

 
You are obviously an excellent planner, Stich. Given that the decision of which bike to purchase has been made, have you also decided what OEM accessories you will or will not add to that purchase?

For myself, I have zero regrets about adding the heated grips, engine guards, and luggage rack. Note that this is the first time I've ever had heated grips. They instantly became a "must have" for any bike I purchase in the future.

I also find myself using the luggage rack almost every time I ride, so often that I'm getting tired of dealing with the bungee cords. Strangely, as one who has always been quite opposed to the very idea of top boxes, I am considering one. The riders here have incepted me with the idea of one. In fact, they have incepted me with many ideas. My wallet hurts!!! But I sure do love to ride Black Beauty!!!
 
Windscreen, seat, tank bag, payed off credit card..... :angel:

I needed lowered pegs to accommodate my long legs. Grips; I'm fine with stock. But heated grips if you ride in cold weather. BikeMaster makes a very nice kit for $50. I installed one on my Griso and so good I may add them to the Griso. I like the grips them selves.

If you need room for luggage then the rear rack may be a good idea. Add a trunk or some dry bag. I have the Wolflman medium dry bag, holds my tent and sleeping pad as well as some smaller bits.
 
Otherwise, I think the gear for you is more important. Good boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet. Extra gear (like a fleece turtle neck) to help with cold, rain or too much heat is more critical than bits on the bike. Don't ignore yourself!
 
I forgot to mention really good boots..thanks Rboe

It's funny how you see folks with $30,000 worth of shiny stuff on their bikes wearing jeans, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes (but maybe that's by choice - like pirates)
 
Thread starter
I'm loving these responses - thank you!

Just FYI, I am more than geared up personally. This year I added Powerlet heated glove and jacket liners to my kit - what a revelation! I will never ride below 40 deg F again without heated gear.

 
Thread starter
jerrycon_imp said:
You are obviously an excellent planner, Stich. Given that the decision of which bike to purchase has been made, have you also decided what OEM accessories you will or will not add to that purchase?

For myself, I have zero regrets about adding the heated grips, engine guards, and luggage rack. Note that this is the first time I've ever had heated grips. They instantly became a "must have" for any bike I purchase in the future.

I also find myself using the luggage rack almost every time I ride, so often that I'm getting tired of dealing with the bungee cords. Strangely, as one who has always been quite opposed to the very idea of top boxes, I am considering one. The riders here have incepted me with the idea of one. In fact, they have incepted me with many ideas. My wallet hurts!!! But I sure do love to ride Black Beauty!!!
Great feedback, jerrycon! I might be a good planner but I'm a CB noob. I was not aware that these OEM accessories are available.

I'm good with heated glove liners as I'd need a heated jacket liner anyway. Engine guards...do you have any pics? And the luggage rack? I'm interested in both.

Top boxes are kind of...ugh. Personally I just can't go for one. Adding weight high and to the rear is just counter to motorcycle physics. I would try to eliminate the top case and only use side cases (personally).
Guth_imp said:
Nice Hi-Viz gear! :thumbsup:
Heck yeah! When I test-rode an F800GT today, I was following a sales guy on a Harley. He wore a black jacket and a black bucket helmet. A car turned left in front of him and he shook a fist in reaction. A situation that thankfully so far I have not experienced!
 
I'm with EmptySea. I don't think luggage is necessary, although I say that having a top box. For gear when touring a 60L waterproof duffel strapped to the seat is probably enough. My first accessory would be a luggage rack. It greatly increases the amount gear you can carry.

Somewhere on this forum Pterodactyl has described his touring rig. That works well.
Guth, do you reckon the guy escaped? I thought he may have been completed worn away. That's why the a Ferret looks so pleased.
 
Depends upon your definition of "supposed to" and "tool kit". Yes, it does come with a tool kit..POS screwdriver and an Allen wrench. It should have something more than that, but doesn't.
 
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
I miss a plug socket with the Honda given tool.
The size isn't really a common one.

Necessary for my bike are:

- wind screen
- crash bars
- saddlebags with holders
- oil- and outside thermometer
- mud guard for the front wheel
- some isolation for the handlebars
- a tank bag for longer trips and a pack roll

Necessary for me, depends on the weather and climate, motorcycle clothes, that keep
rain, wind and cold outside, during the daytime sunglasses.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top