What are the "must haves" for a lot of riding?

Thread starter
Ferret, what are these all about:
[ul] [li]Chip Beck license plate mod[/li] [li]Modified street shield EX[/li] [li]Kaw gaitors - Kawasaki front fork gaiters?
[/li][/ul]
CB4ME_imp said:
And don't forget the essentials for most any ride - basic tools and a tire repair kit.
Good thoughts from you and others on the tools and tire repair kit. Also a tire pressure gauge (any favorites there on a gauge?). I have all of that stuff for my CBR including a CO2 inflator, but maybe I should just duplicate it for the CB so I "don't leave home without it" by mistake.
Wisedrum_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
I miss a plug socket with the Honda given tool.
The size isn't really a common one.

Necessary for my bike are:

- wind screen
- crash bars
- saddlebags with holders
- oil- and outside thermometer
- mud guard for the front wheel
- some isolation for the handlebars
- a tank bag for longer trips and a pack roll

Necessary for me, depends on the weather and climate, motorcycle clothes, that keep
rain, wind and cold outside, during the daytime sunglasses.

Wisedrum
Does that come with the bike?

Wisedrum_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
I miss a plug socket with the Honda given tool.
The size isn't really a common one.

Necessary for my bike are:

- wind screen
- crash bars
- saddlebags with holders
- oil- and outside thermometer
- mud guard for the front wheel
- some isolation for the handlebars
- a tank bag for longer trips and a pack roll

Necessary for me, depends on the weather and climate, motorcycle clothes, that keep
rain, wind and cold outside, during the daytime sunglasses.

Wisedrum
Spark plug socket? What size is it?

Wisedrum_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
I miss a plug socket with the Honda given tool.
The size isn't really a common one.

Necessary for my bike are:

- wind screen
- crash bars
- saddlebags with holders
- oil- and outside thermometer
- mud guard for the front wheel
- some isolation for the handlebars
- a tank bag for longer trips and a pack roll

Necessary for me, depends on the weather and climate, motorcycle clothes, that keep
rain, wind and cold outside, during the daytime sunglasses.

Wisedrum
Ooo, nice list! Can you tell me more specifics about your preferred wind screen, crash bars, saddlebags/holders, oil thermometer (great idea on an air-cooled engine), outside air thermometer, and mud guard?

Wisedrum_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sea....you forgot the fuse puller
I miss a plug socket with the Honda given tool.
The size isn't really a common one.

Necessary for my bike are:

- wind screen
- crash bars
- saddlebags with holders
- oil- and outside thermometer
- mud guard for the front wheel
- some isolation for the handlebars
- a tank bag for longer trips and a pack roll

Necessary for me, depends on the weather and climate, motorcycle clothes, that keep
rain, wind and cold outside, during the daytime sunglasses.

Wisedrum
Yes, I keep a hi-viz Frogg Toggs rain jacket with black Frogg Toggs overpants in a mini-drybag for those unexpected downpours. They also come in handy as an extra windbreak of the weather turns cooler than expected or elevation changes result in cooler temps. Yesterday I rode with my waterproof/windproof Icon gloves, which are my winter gloves with heated liners. Without liners, they make good mid-range gloves: not as warm (or bulky) as my winter gloves but warmer than my summer gloves. Out on the highway I found my hands getting colder and colder. So I pulled over and put on my goofy rain overmitts as an extra windbreak - worked great! Hands warmed up nicely. They are very small and compact so it is easy to keep them on the bike at all times.
Cormanus_imp said:
Great tips. I put a luggage rack on my CBR. Best thing I've done except the seat. I also have the 66L two-component drybag system from Twisted Throttle. It's great for my clothes and so on but I do like having side bags for stashing things like my gloves, water, visor cleaning kit, snacks, etc. as well as extra riding gear like spare/different gloves, layers, neck shield, jacket/pant liners, rain suit, etc.

This is my CBR rig when touring (sorry for the graininess - it's cropped). The side bags are on all the time, and when touring, I add the drybags on the luggage rack. Once I get to the base camp, the big drybag comes off and I use the small bag if I need it to keep things like a swimming suit and towel (our group always hits a swimming hole in hot weather).



Cormanus_imp said:
I'm with EmptySea. I don't think luggage is necessary, although I say that having a top box. For gear when touring a 60L waterproof duffel strapped to the seat is probably enough. My first accessory would be a luggage rack. It greatly increases the amount gear you can carry.

Somewhere on this forum Pterodactyl has described his touring rig. That works well.
Guth, do you reckon the guy escaped? I thought he may have been completed worn away. That's why the a Ferret looks so pleased.
I will look at that, thanks.
 
I bet you could make your existing dry bag and saddle bags work on the CB.

I haven't bit the bullet on the rack yet. One reason is cost, but also I kind of like having my duffle right behind me on long trips as it becomes a bit of a back rest. I'm considering fabricating a foam pad to strap to the duffle that would provide some lumbar support.
 
Thread starter
Certainly the drybags. For saddle bags I would like something that suits the character of the CB as much as possible...kind of dressy.
 
Ahh.. It's so interesting to me how many different perspective there are on how to accesorize this bike. For example, I'm toying with the idea of using some army surplus ammo cans as side cases. LOL. Not very dressy at all.
I think we have the same duffle. I just mount it sideways and I use an REI roll top dry bag on top.

7f13c8607c796bb37509edf3278b2c17.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys! I'm outta here for a while. Will log in intermittently for the next week or so.
 
I forgot my SW Motec case savers. Black, look factory, if you happen to spot them. They blend in very well. Make a good pivot spot to lift your bike it it decides to take a nap.

More info on the Twisted Throttle dry bags you have there. Look great!

I added the luggage rack after I finally added one to the Griso for a Rally trip. I wanted to get one while they were still available. So far, have not used it. I agree it looks better without, but for now, she stays. :)
 
Rboe - I have the same dry bag as the one on the bottom, I think. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspectm-b50-wide-mouth-motorcycle-dry-bag

The pluses are that they're completely waterproof, the tie down straps work great, and the bags have a semi-rigid plastic liner that helps the bag keep its shape even when only partially filled. Also, the integral web loops on the top of the bag allow you multiple options for strapping on additional stuff.

The only minus I have found is that the opening is not as large as one might expect. They may have corrected this on later editions because they use the word "wide-mouth" in the description, but they look the same in the pictures. It's not a huge deal and I solved some of the annoyance by packing clothes in smaller bags and sliding the bags into the dry bag. This served the dual-purpose of getting the clothes in the bag easier and keeping them organized (one bag for shirts, one for pants, etc).

Not sure if the link I posted was for the same size bag as mine. Mine is in the garage atm, but I can go get the dimensions if you want them. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase.
 
Thanks! It looks like something different; I already have a Wolfman dry bag that works very well; but will try to keep this one on the radar.
 
So, yeah...I have 2 D38s (one for me, one for my wife's bike). I just went and measured them. If I didn't opt to carry an extra set of boots, I could easily pack for a week with just this bag and my tank bag. I like Cormanus' solution too, but the extra tie-down loops on my bag sure come in handy.
 
What tank bags are ya'll using?

I want to make sure I get a tank bag where the magnets fit well to our tank.
 
Icon Urban. magnets work fine..just be sure to wipe the magnets clean of any debris before sticking them on the tank. Metal flakes can scratch the tank. Do not ask me how I know this.
 
No tank bag works exceptionally well on this bike. The hump in the middle plus the old school gas cap makes it tougher for a good fit. The size your looking for will also make a difference. I'm using a Motor centric magnetic bag which I bought from motorcycle Superstore. Its by far one of the best looking and most functional in my opinion.
Sorry, its Motocentric. Not motor. Spell check got me again.
 
Check out Kenny's tank bag on his new CB here.
 
Back
Top