Westernmost point in continental Europe

Ghost_diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Taking advantage of the fact that I'm on holiday this week, I figured Tuesday morning would be a great day to visit Cabo da Roca, which is the westernmost point of continental Europe.

It is a usual biker hangout on Sunday mornings, but, unfortunately, that draws out young men who feel they must make the surrounding roads their personal race track.

So, Tuesday is a great day to visit.:)







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Beautiful pics. What a cool looking place.
 
Thread starter
Some more info on Cabo da Roca, if anybody is interested:

Cabo da Roca
Estrada do Cabo da Roca s/n, 2705-001 Colares, Portugal
Google Maps

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/NR/exeres/B1743B31-3190-4769-9EFD-9E911FF4C813

"If you go to Sintra, you cannot afford to miss paying a visit to the westernmost point on the European mainland, the headland of Cabo da Roca.

Situated at a latitude of 38º 47´ North and a longitude of 9º 30´ West, Cabo da Roca is an important coordinate for anybody sailing along the coast, since it is the westernmost point on the European mainland, as attested by the certificate that visitors to this point can take home with them as a souvenir.

Roughly 150 metres from the sea, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the Serra de Sintra and out to sea over the coastline, all of which makes your trip here well worth the visit.

Historical records point to the existence in the 16th century of a fort at Cabo da Roca which played an important role in guarding the approach to Lisbon, forming a defensive line along the coast, especially during the Peninsular War. All that is left of this fort nowadays are some remains, together with the lighthouse that still serves as an important warning beacon for shipping in this area.

The headland is part of the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park and is one of the main features of interest for those enjoying a walk along the coastline."
 
I've always liked geographical extremities. Great pics Ghost_diver.

It's good to be able to ride during the week when there are fewer people about. As you say, the heroes who want a personal race track can spoil the fun.
 
I think so. And Cabo de São Vicente as well.

Portugal has a beautiful sail training ship called the Sagres as I recall.

6920a47936056023430a89a49c2eaded.jpg
 
The spooky coincidences keep on coming. On Thursday evening I got to drink a glass or two of Sagres beer.
 
I'm in the UK briefly. Probably can get it in OZ, though. I've seen it in a East Timor.
 
When it comes to Beer Australia has become a global village or should that be brewery , I do like a cup of Tea whilst on the road.

Regards
 
Thread starter
East Timor makes sense, and the UK does have a large Portuguese community. How did you like Sagres?:)

Noroomtaomove, I don't think there are any native Portuguese tea brands, but I'll look that up for you...:)
 
Back
Top