I hit the turkey

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
This morning I took my white CB for a 110 miles ride.
After leaving the highway, I rode down the back roads between fields and going about 65 miles per hour, and suddenly a 25-pound turkey jumped out of my left side.
There wasn't even time for anything, and all I did was squeeze the bike with my thighs to form one solid block.

The bird hit me on the outside of my left calf, and thanks to my riding gear, sturdy shin & knee guard no serious consequences, I guess...
Nothing wrong with the bike.

In the rearview mirror I noticed a lot of feathers and probably a broken wing because it was trying to take flight erratically, I guess it survived.
After returning home, about 40 minutes later, I put on an ice pack and applied some ointment.

It could have ended much worse for me and my left leg, which had its knee replaced 5 years ago.
We'll see what happens tomorrow, but now it's been about 6 hours since this incident and everything seems to be fine, very light pain, almost no bruise and no swelling, and no painkillers needed.

Here is a photo..

1789d2e5d2f899f3fc67e2fdeda0e796.jpg
 
That knee looks pretty swollen to me. :D

Glad it wasn’t serious, peterbaron.
 
Dang, I've ridden by a few of those guys...they can get big. My son hit one in his car at 70mph and it did about $1200 damage to the front end. Good that nothing more came of it!
 
Dang pb. Turkeys are tough. That could have been bad. Glad it wasn't worse.

I have turkeys in my yard every single day. They are thicker than deer here, and we have plenty of deer.
 
what in the heck is that strapped to your thigh?
 
Glad you’re OK. Yeah, what is that on your hip?

Funny think living in the city, never got hit by an LA fruit. Sprained a hand hitting a coyote though.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
what in the heck is that strapped to your thigh?
So sort of heated gear controller?
So sort of heated gear controller?
Exactly.
The black knob controls heated liner & chaps and the red one takes care of heated insoles and gloves = balmy feeling when cold + heated grips.
Six and seven settings accordingly.

c585b43f1980b2f3b87e66a6658329b4.jpg


....and if I come home half-frozen, I administer myself either one, even if there is no power at all, and it has never failed yet :rolleyes:

be996680884f3c30e8c25ecb13cb58d3.jpg
 
Thread starter
My left knee, actually both knees are fine, one is bionic, the other is OEM.
When I thought about the turkey, I realized that it had actually hit me, and then it had slid down my left calf and that was why there was no bruise...
 
And that’s why we have RLETs!
 
Back
Top