Weight Loss Program

Landy100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi,

Anybody looked reducing weight of CB - thinking of replacing mudguards, different mirrors, lights. I expect the biggest change would be for exhaust change - Arrow possible. Centre stand? Getting the urge to make changes!

Just interested if anybody has looked at the overall weight saving possible?

Regards Landy
 
sheessh...I do that on bicycles and backpacking gear where ounces count and trying to get less than 17 or 18 lbs.....but I think you would need to spend a lot of money to reduce weight much to make a difference on a motorcycle.......and as I've seen asked on other "weight reduction" forums ....someone always asks, how much weight can you lose, since it is cheaper and better for you.

Of course, I too wish the CB1100 weighed around 450 lbs and had about 125 HP.
 
My best plan of attack for weight loss is fewer calories and more exercise. In my opinion unless you are looking to DRASTICALLY alter this bike, trying to get the weight down isn't practical because that's not how it was designed. If you want to cafe it then yes, strip it to the bone and it will shed the pounds.
My $.02
 
I bet you could shed a good 50 lbs from it, but it sure would cost:

Full titanium exhaust
Aluminum tank (a la silas)
Remove/replace fenders
Replace steel rearsets w aluminum (samurider)
Replace steel engine covers w aluminum (samurider)
Replace steel front end and triple clamps with CBR components
Lightweight wheel set
And on and on... ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am interested in seeing what you can do to your bike. Keep us apprised of your progress!
Tortuga_imp said:
Don't bother. Buy a light bike.

Why do people not get what the CB1100 is?
Okay, I will stick my toe in this water... What is the CB1100?
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Don't bother. Buy a light bike.

Why do people not get what the CB1100 is?
All about priorities I guess, if between a CB1100 and the 110hp 400lb bike everyone seems to want, if I couldn't have both I'd definitely rather have the CB.

I wonder if there are people on the other bikes' forums complaining that their bikes don't look as good as ours do?
Tripod_imp said:
I am interested in seeing what you can do to your bike. Keep us apprised of your progress!
Tortuga_imp said:
Don't bother. Buy a light bike.

Why do people not get what the CB1100 is?
Okay, I will stick my toe in this water... What is the CB1100?
A beautiful retro that out-muscles its predecessor.
 
Some people see what it is...


Other see what it could be ....
 
The ferret_imp said:
Some people see what it is...


Other see what it could be ....
Heavy indeed!

To me, this is the great thing about the CB and UJMs in general - they're a blank canvas, perfect for customizing.

Like many others here, I was drawn to the CB by it's great looks and considerable power vs competing retros. That being said, I'd like to make mine a little more sporty and add a few HPs if possible. I'm not attracted to the plastic-covered juggernauts or pointy-tailed transformer nakeds of today. To each there own. :)

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I agree with Grover and Ferret. The UJM was the starting point for everything else in the '70s because that's all there was. Can still use it as a base for anything you want.
 
Well, with few exceptions, weight loss is a good thing. It would certainly be good for me, and it almost always benefits a motorcycle.
 
grover_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Some people see what it is...


Other see what it could be ....
Heavy indeed!

To me, this is the great thing about the CB and UJMs in general - they're a blank canvas, perfect for customizing.

Like many others here, I was drawn to the CB by it's great looks and considerable power vs competing retros. That being said, I'd like to make mine a little more sporty and add a few HPs if possible. I'm not attracted to the plastic-covered juggernauts or pointy-tailed transformer nakeds of today. To each there own. :)

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heavy indeed!

To me, this is the great thing about the CB and UJMs in general - they're a blank canvas, perfect for customizing.

Like many others here, I was drawn to the CB by it's great looks and considerable power vs competing retros. That being said, I'd like to make mine a little more sporty and add a few HPs if possible. I'm not attracted to the plastic-covered juggernauts or pointy-tailed transformer nakeds of today. To each there own. :)

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously, you, and all on this forum, are right. I can't help but admire the mods, both of appearance and performance, I see on this forum. I try to keep Last Blast reasonably standard (Dart and Staintune) but I sure do appreciate them all, even if there not for me. On the subject of weight loss, the Staintune has significantly less mass than the OEM. I would guess that a carbon fibre (Arrow or Akro) would go a little further in that direction.

Cheers

Hey ferret, lay off the fried cheesecake. That's gotta help. :)
 
In early February I got the news that I had become diabetic... I said to my Doctor: "If only someone had warned me!" - she was NOT amused. Since then I have dropped about 45 lbs and ALL my bikes seem to go faster.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
YOU CAN FRY CHEESECAKE?!
That's what I thought too. However, it is available from Lynne's Place, Robbinsville, NC. If you want to try, maybe they do home delivery.

That little gem of culinary knowledge comes from EmptySea's post "Tales of the Dragon". One of the best ride reports on the forum. Actually almost compulsory reading.

Cheers
 
Back on the subject of mods, is anyone else disappointed at the sparse accessory list that Honda offers for the CB? Maybe it's too much of a niche bike, but I would think they could at least offer a flyscreen or luggage set up.
 
For fly screen see Dart from the UK. Luggage they do have the Honda tail box from Samurider. But agree there is not much from Honda.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
DAC_imp said:
Back on the subject of mods, is anyone else disappointed at the sparse accessory list that Honda offers for the CB? Maybe it's too much of a niche bike, but I would think they could at least offer a flyscreen or luggage set up.
Not really. I see anything from Honda as an accessory. Most of the best mods come from external suppliers or are done the real way, with hacksaw, hammer, fibreglass etc. See, for instance but not alone, AussieFlyers café racer. Or, for performance, the "reflash boys".

Cheers
 
Back
Top