Weight limit on genuine Honda rear rack

DaveP_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all,
I’ve just bought a genuine Honda rear rack OEM 08L70-MGC-JB0 and wondered if anyone knew the weight limit for the rack. So sorry if this has been reported elsewhere
Kindest regards
Dave
 
Wow - 18 lbs.? Seems kind of light. I've probably exceeded that, especially when I have the wife, all five kids and the family goat on board.
 
Three lines of thought:
- rack can’t handle no more (unlikely)
- attachment screws can’t (possible)
- the rear moving CoG is the concern (most likely)
So ... leave the goat in the garden.
 
Maybe more importantly is how that 8 kgs (or whatever mass you have packed) is stabilized and distributed.

If you have an unstabilized bowling ball rattling in there, then probably not so much fun for the rider.
 
I have the rack Lord Pop referenced. I'm quite sure I've ridden thousands of miles with much more than 18lbs on that rack without any incident - that limit seems crazy-low.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
8Kg

Here are the mounting instructions with the weight limit listed: https://www.access-honda.com/upload/files/08L70-MGC-AA0.pdf

edit: just noticed the model I show is a slightly different one than yours. I think the limit is the same though on all of them.
Thanks for the instructions sheet and specs. Much appreciated!!
EmptySea_imp said:
I have the rack Lord Pop referenced. I'm quite sure I've ridden thousands of miles with much more than 18lbs on that rack without any incident - that limit seems crazy-low.
I thought the same, but I’m hoping being able to tie down some bag might encourage my wife to get on the back so she doesn’t feel she’ll slip off the seat onto the tail light !!
DAC_imp said:
Wow - 18 lbs.? Seems kind of light. I've probably exceeded that, especially when I have the wife, all five kids and the family goat on board.

The Gecko_imp said:
Three lines of thought:
- rack can’t handle no more (unlikely)
- attachment screws can’t (possible)
- the rear moving CoG is the concern (most likely)
So ... leave the goat in the garden.
I think you’re right about the COG, to be fair I think I’ll just tie soft luggage on it if I go away. Lightweight tent, sleeping bag and mat. I used to get those on the handlebars of my mountain bike when I use to go bike packing. Thanks so much for the reply. Im in Lanzarote for a few days and the mountain roads here are some of the best I’ve seen. They hire bikes out the island too.
DAC_imp said:
Wow - 18 lbs.? Seems kind of light. I've probably exceeded that, especially when I have the wife, all five kids and the family goat on board.
Thanks
GoldOxide_imp said:
Maybe more importantly is how that 8 kgs (or whatever mass you have packed) is stabilized and distributed.

If you have an unstabilized bowling ball rattling in there, then probably not so much fun for the rider.
Definitely agree, thanks for the reply much appreciated
 
f99c40c949f4a2d84b13577b431f5c23.jpg
 
Back
Top