Weekend projects?

WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just curious what everyone has been doing (when not enjoying their CB) during their summer weekends. This last weekend was a bit rainy in Minnesota, so I tackled a project I have been considering.

For starters, my wife spotted this small cable spool on the side of the road, following some construction in our area. It's the perfect height for a porch table.
61ddc96c7a822b33e6876ff96985cd98.jpg


I started with a "dust coat" of black spray paint, followed by the palm sander until it looked properly "aged."
d56f11efc86514a572ee440bbb96f3dc.jpg

5569436b8e58a20f8394d82d2a9d5362.jpg


Next up was masking off a portion of the table for a blue field with a few stars.
f2b3d6470f7a756ac8b4183d274b2fb9.jpg

a570e1745fbbc92ae44633a907c4ba57.jpg

4caeab93404b2c6fe424d1b51d7a70d0.jpg


Well, with that done, the next logical step is to add a few stripes.
14d641978efd1419a7577e332b03089a.jpg

ef4ed52c12325f0838129dad67fb8445.jpg


Moved it out into the sun for the first application of urethane to seal it all in.
b071b5c8598847ae379a997727844427.jpg


I will apply a few thicker coats of urethane until the top is smooth and uniform. I still have plans for the middle and base so the whole thing has a finished look. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome so far.

So, who else has some projects going on, not necessarily motorcycle related that they want to share?



Sent from an undisclosed location
 
Very cool Whiskey ! Nice job and kudos to your wife for snagging it of the road. I love to recycle. My life is a weekend project and it would take a whole separate forum to post my projects.
 
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Wow! Spotted a CB today, in a garage right behind a cool table! I'd really love to see more of that bike... and the table, too!

You're welcome :beerchug::rofl:
 
see that wasn't so hard was it? lol
 
Thread starter
When I'm not riding, I rest my helmet and jacket on it. Sorry for not including more CB related info in the beginning.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Blimey! That was a bit hard. There was a CB1100 in 7/9 of the pictures.
 
He asked for people to post projects that were not necessarily motorcycle related. Although I can appreciate those projects we must play by the rules. IF they can relate the project to mc's or CB's somehow, they are good.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Blimey! That was a bit hard. There was a CB1100 in 7/9 of the pictures.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Blimey! That was a bit hard. There was a CB1100 in 7/9 of the pictures.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
"me shoulder"
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Blimey! That was a bit hard. There was a CB1100 in 7/9 of the pictures.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
"me shoulder"
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
"me shoulder"
Thanks Bob. I fell out of character for a second. I also meant to add that I like the table! And the CB lurking in the background.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Neat table but relate it to motorcycles somehow, even if you say it's to hold your beer or tools or parts while working on your motorcycle. We sorta have a CB or at least motorcycle related mandate around here.
Blimey! That was a bit hard. There was a CB1100 in 7/9 of the pictures.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.
Dissension among the command staff in front of the crew will not be tolerated lest your insubordinate tone foment mutiny! Right yourself moderator!

It's moments like this I wish I had a parrot to perch on my shoulder.

It's understandable, he's fairly new at the job. ;)

Maybe he is playing the part of " good" mod to my " bad" mod lol
 
Arrrrrrrrrrr me mateys, I had a parrot on me shoulder when we first set sail on this ship. Then one day I found me shoulder was no longer burdened with that magnificent winged creature. I suspect it was that sneaky ferret that stowed aboard — relentless hunters that they are. That parrot never did appreciate it when I got me CB1100 up much over 12 knots anyway. Besides it clashed with me hi-viz safety vest.

(See what I did tharrrrrrr.)

It's all good, thanks as always to our moderation staff for keeping things in check.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Maybe some tips on how to remove dust and paint over spray from your CB!

Dust blows off very easily with a twist of the right wrist. Overspray isn't really an issue with the garage door up and a fan blowing paint OUT said door. Hope this answers your questions.

I will ensure I am only posting my endeavors as they relate to our two wheeled stallions, but I was really hoping some others would post as well. I could have easily turned this into a work platform upon which to build a cafe-esque bike. I don't have one to play with at this time though, and this seemed more practical albeit not vroom vroom related.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
After seeing the first picture, I though you were going to show how you built a Flintstone's version of a CB1100!! :excited:


(I hope that translates to our non-US CB'ers).
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Maybe some tips on how to remove dust and paint over spray from your CB!

Dust blows off very easily with a twist of the right wrist. Overspray isn't really an issue with the garage door up and a fan blowing paint OUT said door. Hope this answers your questions.

I will ensure I am only posting my endeavors as they relate to our two wheeled stallions, but I was really hoping some others would post as well. I could have easily turned this into a work platform upon which to build a cafe-esque bike. I don't have one to play with at this time though, and this seemed more practical albeit not vroom vroom related.


Sent from an undisclosed location

Dust blows off very easily with a twist of the right wrist. Overspray isn't really an issue with the garage door up and a fan blowing paint OUT said door. Hope this answers your questions.

I will ensure I am only posting my endeavors as they relate to our two wheeled stallions, but I was really hoping some others would post as well. I could have easily turned this into a work platform upon which to build a cafe-esque bike. I don't have one to play with at this time though, and this seemed more practical albeit not vroom vroom related.


Sent from an undisclosed location Yep. Well done. Just chipping to help keep your post"CB legal."
 
First off....Whiskey..really nice project. :beerchug: You get bonus points as a Marine for attempting the detail work w/o resorting to explosives. Gave me an idea for something I might try in my yard. PM me a final pic if you think of it.

Ferret....Way to prevent "Mission Creep". :thumbsup: I saw you coming a mile off. Anybody remember a discussion a while back that started to drift off towards dogs? Anybody? Remember how quick Ferret was all over that?

THAT'S the reason this site is as civil as it is. Open the door just a little to an off topic subject and before you know it you have folks who've been friends on this site for 2-3 years arguing which breed is the best. Of course I'd have to jump in and remind everybody that if it's not a pure-bred Jack Russell/Blue Heeler hybrid then it's just another dog. Before you know it this leads to that and I'm banned.:(

Stay the course Ferret...all ahead one 3rd...easy....easy...watch your depth!
 
Back
Top