Weekend and touring, RS or EX?

hh007_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello,

I'm keen on a CB1100 :banana: and am contemplating the RS or EX. It seems that moto journo's like the EX for ride/handling and more authentic retro looks. I've only ridden the RS.

The general use-case is weekend and evening rides to the Norfolk/Suffolk coast (80-mile round trip) and I'm planning on doing some touring in Europe next year to Switzerland and Italy.

I am thinking the RS with tubeless tyres would be a good option, with easier availability and a wider choice of tyres easier to repair.

RS owners, can you tell me why you chose the RS over the EX and EX-owners, any benefits for my use-case I'm missing?

Great forum BTW.
John
 
You are right about tubeless tires , that is the only thing I do not like on the 2017 EX : having tubed tires.
Having said that , I prefer the looks of the EX over the RS.
 
the seatposition and handling are real some different....but if you feel home of the RS...and you cant make too a testride with a EX....well..you can make nothing wrong....the suspension +brakes from the RS are littel bit stronger as the 17EX...


.the suspensions of the older CB1100 versions (13/14) are softer....but the saddle of the 13 i would dont like....saddle of 14+17EX are similar....
 
hh007_imp said:
Hello,

I'm keen on a CB1100 :banana: and am contemplating the RS or EX. It seems that moto journo's like the EX for ride/handling and more authentic retro looks. I've only ridden the RS.

The general use-case is weekend and evening rides to the Norfolk/Suffolk coast (80-mile round trip) and I'm planning on doing some touring in Europe next year to Switzerland and Italy.

I am thinking the RS with tubeless tyres would be a good option, with easier availability and a wider choice of tyres easier to repair.

RS owners, can you tell me why you chose the RS over the EX and EX-owners, any benefits for my use-case I'm missing?

Great forum BTW.
John
I took the RS mainly for the looks. Driving position may be a bit more relaxed on the EX (nothing that can't be changed with a handlebar riser). Seat comfort is the same. Engine performance is the same. Brakes and tyres are better on the RS. I also thing the rear dampers are better on the RS, but I might be wrong.
 
bcos the other handelbar and position of it, the other rim/tire dimensions and different weehlbase is the handling real some other...too the saddlehigh is a bit different and the covermaterial

if you could compare both direct together you would observe the EX is ""somehow"" more neutral to steering
 
Thread starter
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to go for the RS I think. There's a yellow EX near me, I'll try and get a test ride on one before I decide finally.

alprider, is there a better-looking fuel tank than the yellow tank on the EX?! It's beautiful! :thumbsup:
 
white looks noble but gives for me not enough contrast to the chrome and alu parts

red looks nice but to much ordinary normal....

but yellloooouwwww...:cool:...is the bright sun..:banana:...and the people's see you much better to you or notice better...:excited:....:celebrate:


----------------------

RS : i would take the black...bcos the yellow suspensions gives the better contrast to black......and the black stripes on the tank makes for me the red RS more heavyer...
 
Thread starter
alprider_imp said:
white looks noble but gives for me not enough contrast to the chrome and alu parts

red looks nice but to much ordinary normal....

but yellloooouwwww...:cool:...is the bright sun..:banana:...and the people's see you much better to you or notice better...:excited:....:celebrate:


----------------------

RS : i would take the black...bcos the yellow suspensions gives the better contrast to black......and the black stripes on the tank makes for me the red RS more heavyer...
Thanks, I put a deposit down on a black RS today. Collect it next week! :beerchug:
 
Congratulations, hh007. We'll all look forward to pictures when you collect the bike. :beerchug:
 
Congrats hh!! Like Cormanus said— pics :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks, everyone. Hit a bit of a problem. I had a test ride on the RS I put a deposit down on and I didn't like the handling. Gutted as I loved the look of the bike. Wondering if it's down to the OEM tyres, Dunlop Sportmax? It wasn't as neutral handling as I thought it would be. There's a nervous part of turn-in, feels like the front tyre is fighting the back a bit. Only noticed it on narrow twisty slow-mid speed turns.

I'm going to try the EX. :s and go that route. Unless someone can shed any light on solving this issue with the RS?
 
Out of the "box" my 2017 did handle better than my 2013 and 2014.
Did not like the Bridgestone tires , Dunlop's on 2017 much better plus new type front forks on 2017.
 
Yes, but yours is the EX, Houtman, and the RS is different to it and previous models. Dunno, hh007.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Yes, but yours is the EX, Houtman, and the RS is different to it and previous models. Dunno, hh007.
Thanks and yes, I'm interested if anyone with an RS model improved handling by choosing non-OEM tyres.
 
We’ve had at least one RS member. I think from the north of England, but we’ve not seen him for a bit. I’ll try to remember his name so you can PM him.
His user name was Macduff. He sold the RS, I think. Try sending him a PM.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
We’ve had at least one RS member. I think from the north of England, but we’ve not seen him for a bit. I’ll try to remember his name so you can PM him.
His user name was Macduff. He sold the RS, I think. Try sending him a PM.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
 
hh007_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
We’ve had at least one RS member. I think from the north of England, but we’ve not seen him for a bit. I’ll try to remember his name so you can PM him.
His user name was Macduff. He sold the RS, I think. Try sending him a PM.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
hh007_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
We’ve had at least one RS member. I think from the north of England, but we’ve not seen him for a bit. I’ll try to remember his name so you can PM him.
His user name was Macduff. He sold the RS, I think. Try sending him a PM.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
That's useful, thanks. The bike only has 800 kilometres on it.
 
hh007_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
hh007_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
We’ve had at least one RS member. I think from the north of England, but we’ve not seen him for a bit. I’ll try to remember his name so you can PM him.
His user name was Macduff. He sold the RS, I think. Try sending him a PM.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
That's useful, thanks. The bike only has 800 kilometres on it.
I'll do that Cormanus, thanks. Appreciate there aren't that many RS owners on here.
I own an RS, but I am still with the OEM tyres.

The bike came from factory with out-of-round tyres, so that caused vibration. I had the tyres changed under warranty, and vibration was gone.

Comparring a short test ride on the EX vs mine, I think steering feels "lighter" on the EX, but I can't say if it's because the tyre (I'd say it's partially, but rake angle has also to be noticed).

Next set will be michelin. On a CBF500 I had pilot power ct2 and I was very happy with them (they made the steering feel lighter than the previous set, and the bike felt more agile, so yes: tyre can make a diference)

Another note: how many km had on the RS you tested? Tyres don't feel "right" until they've run some km
That's useful, thanks. The bike only has 800 kilometres on it.
I also drive a 2018th RS and I have the issue that I have to "push" the RS
a little bit into a curve. But now, after 2000 km it does not feel any longer like that. Don't know if it is gone OR if I only get used to it.
Have OEM tires on it.
 
Back
Top