Waterproof Cover - recommendations?

el duque_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Looking to purchase a waterproof cover to take along on trips and to park the bike outside the garage for short intervals (when I'm woodworking, i.e. making dust).

I've looked. There are too many choices - if ya know what I mean.

I think I'd rather take a few recommendations and narrow the search.

thanks

Happy New Year Ya'll :excited:
 
There are indeed many and it seems each year some new ones appear and others disappear. One attribute I suggest to keep in mind when selecting is consider a cover that "breathes". That is, as moisture gets trapped under and up in the cover, it should be released by the weeping/breathing technology of the material - and while keeping rain water out. If you don't, you will find metal surfaces on the CB will tend to pit. This is a PITA.

A [motorcycle] tent works somewhat better because the protective surface is further away from the bike. However, a tent can be problematic (or inconvenient) under high wind conditions.

My CB has spent years, 365 days a year, outdoors and mostly under cover. So far so good. Cold, covered storage is better than a heated garage shared by a salty car. If you must store the CB in a warm garage with a salty wet car, I would just leave the bike uncovered, or very loosely covered (e.g. by an old bed sheet).
 
I keep my bikes in the garage , lowest about 55 degree and are covered by woolen blankets ! Keeps them nice and warm and will keep dust out from my other projects ; wood work /painting etc.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are indeed many and it seems each year some new ones appear and others disappear. One attribute I suggest to keep in mind when selecting is consider a cover that "breathes". That is, as moisture gets trapped under and up in the cover, it should be released by the weeping/breathing technology of the material - and while keeping rain water out. If you don't, you will find metal surfaces on the CB will tend to pit. This is a PITA.

A [motorcycle] tent works somewhat better because the protective surface is further away from the bike. However, a tent can be problematic (or inconvenient) under high wind conditions.

My CB has spent years, 365 days a year, outdoors and mostly under cover. So far so good. Cold, covered storage is better than a heated garage shared by a salty car. If you must store the CB in a warm garage with a salty wet car, I would just leave the bike uncovered, or very loosely covered (e.g. by an old bed sheet).
All of my motorbikes park outside year in year out. They are under breathable covers, if not being ridden. The covers prevent them from getting wet when it's raining, but not from getting wet by humidity. So I put away the cover in dryer periods and also take special care of them like cleaning and conservation. I think, they can stand it over the years but humidity and salt are worse enemies within an ever ongoing fight.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are indeed many and it seems each year some new ones appear and others disappear. One attribute I suggest to keep in mind when selecting is consider a cover that "breathes". That is, as moisture gets trapped under and up in the cover, it should be released by the weeping/breathing technology of the material - and while keeping rain water out. If you don't, you will find metal surfaces on the CB will tend to pit. This is a PITA.

A [motorcycle] tent works somewhat better because the protective surface is further away from the bike. However, a tent can be problematic (or inconvenient) under high wind conditions.

My CB has spent years, 365 days a year, outdoors and mostly under cover. So far so good. Cold, covered storage is better than a heated garage shared by a salty car. If you must store the CB in a warm garage with a salty wet car, I would just leave the bike uncovered, or very loosely covered (e.g. by an old bed sheet).
All of my motorbikes park outside year in year out. They are under breathable covers, if not being ridden. The covers prevent them from getting wet when it's raining, but not from getting wet by humidity. So I put away the cover in dryer periods and also take special care of them like cleaning and conservation. I think, they can stand it over the years but humidity and salt are worse enemies within an ever ongoing fight.

Wisedrum
All of my motorbikes park outside year in year out. They are under breathable covers, if not being ridden. The covers prevent them from getting wet when it's raining, but not from getting wet by humidity. So I put away the cover in dryer periods and also take special care of them like cleaning and conservation. I think, they can stand it over the years but humidity and salt are worse enemies within an ever ongoing fight.

Wisedrum
Unfortunately, all of my bikes are kept outside year-round also. I have found that no matter how much I spend, no cover really lasts more than a year. Lately, I have had been using Nusari covers. They cost about $60 and do as good a job as any other. I also use two for each bike, one over top of the other, and I take the covers off at least once every two weeks and wipe the bikes down with a cloth and use F11 every month or so.
 
Pretty well all covers I have used dried out and cracked from sun UV exposure. I even used a tent that was rated for UV protection. It tore along along lines weakened by the sun. It is a drag. Maybe it is expected that people owning vehicles like these are assumed to have garages. In any case, the CB gets much direct sun UV exposure all day in the warm seasons. Surprisingly, the instrument cluster has faded minimally. I am pretty happy with how well the Honda has stood up.

In comparison, my Italian Aprilia instrument cluster took on water moisture in the third year. Some mornings I couldn't read half my gauges/LCD screen.
 
Thread starter
I think I've decided to use the dust cover I have and put a 9x11 HF tarp over that. Its only out a few days at a time and under a awning at that.
I did notice that the battery didn't like being out in the cold - bike wouldn't start. Put it back in the garage for a day - on a tender -- fired right up.
 
el duque_imp said:
I think I've decided to use the dust cover I have and put a 9x11 HF tarp over that. Its only out a few days at a time and under a awning at that.
I did notice that the battery didn't like being out in the cold - bike wouldn't start. Put it back in the garage for a day - on a tender -- fired right up.
Dust covers are great for managing moisture. Of course, you need the moisture barrier.

Available battery cold cranking amp capacity drops when it is cold. However, battery life is extended because internal corrosion (by chemical decomposition) slows. Warming the battery probably would have worked, however, topping up the battery is good for it too. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top