Water Buffalo

Razor

Been there
Thread starter
Got a call from a good friend. He asked if I wanted a 1973 Suzuki GT750.
"of course!". Last time I saw it was about 20yrs ago, and it wasn't looking too good back then. Couldn't turn it down, so hooked up the trailer and brought it home.

Here's a pic.
547545b4e1fac4ba7ad77f31e2ea42be.jpg


Fixed the starter, carbs were pretty clean, and it turned over:D
Hooked up a portable fuel tank and battery.
Here's a video just after it started. Smoked so bad; Deb & the neighbor were going to call the fire dept.

Enjoy, don't laugh too loud...

 
Thats awesome!
 
These are awesome. There was a guy rocking a restored one of these on our Distinguished Gentleman's Ride this year. With all the advancements in modern 2 stroke oil, these old 2-strikes aren't even that bad on the environment anymore.
 
Razor_imp said:
Got a call from a good friend. He asked if I wanted a 1973 Suzuki GT750.
"of course!". Last time I saw it was about 20yrs ago, and it wasn't looking too good back then. Couldn't turn it down, so hooked up the trailer and brought it home.

Here's a pic.
547545b4e1fac4ba7ad77f31e2ea42be.jpg


Fixed the starter, carbs were pretty clean, and it turned over:D
Hooked up a portable fuel tank and battery.
Here's a video just after it started. Smoked so bad; Deb & the neighbor were going to call the fire dept.

Enjoy, don't laugh too loud...

The bike obviously missed your sign over the door!
Great opportunity to build another award winner.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Thats awesome!

4 Paws_imp said:
Lucky motorcycle found a good home.

Work your magic.
+ 1 to both these sentiments. And keep us posted on your wonderful handiwork.
 
An older friend of mine picked his new
GT 750 up from a dealer in Denmark
in the mids of 1970 and he did his first
ride on it with me as a sozius all the
way back to Germany. I still remember this trip,
the impressive looking Suzuki and the way the engine ran.

Wisedrum
 
I had two GT750's. Loved those bikes. One of my favorites. Equipped with a Vetter fairing and bates trunk they were real traveling machines.

On old ones you have to watch out for crank seals. They dry out and are not replaceable individually, at least they weren't last time I checked which was about 20 years ago lol
 
I purchased a brand new 1975 GT750 in red for under $2000. It was my first big bike. I purchased it in Pensacola, FL, took it to Meridian, MS and to Sacramento, CA while training to become an NFO in the navy. I did a lot of exploring in the mountains of California and Nevada. The bike ran great and really laid down a cloud of smoke if you hit the gas hard after prolonged cruising. A buddy of mine had a GT550 and his bike struggled at high elevations.
 
Thread starter
Sam Mac_imp said:
The fact that it runs is a good sign. :thumbsup::banana:
I agree.
Not sure which way I'll eventually go (stock or some sort of cafe/custom). '72 & '73 were the first two years and had different exhausts, carburetors, and some other minor differences compared to the other years ('74 thru '77).
Mickey mentioned crank seals. By the looks of the smoke coming out of the exhaust; it either had residual oil and/or bad seals. Crankshaft can be pricey to rebuild, and some of the parts are outrageously expensive.

Thanks for your interest. I'll post updates. Won't be too soon as I'd like to finish the CB350, then I've got a CB175 "dream".
 
Judging by the video...that thing is ready to ride! Get out there and put some miles on it for Pete's sake.
 
Back
Top