Warm up

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
As I was warming up my bike for a ride the other day, it occurred to me that that is something I don't think we have ever discussed on here.

How long do you let your bike warm up before putting in gear and taking off? I guess technically with fuel injection it's possible to fire it up and take right off. Still I let mine warm up a minute or two while I put on my helmet and gloves.

So, how long do you let your bike warm up?
 
The ferret_imp said:
As I was warming up my bike for a ride the other day, it occurred to me that that is something I don't think we have ever discussed on here.

How long do you let your bike warm up before putting in gear and taking off? I guess technically with fuel injection it's possible to fire it up and take right off. Still I let mine warm up a minute or two while I put on my helmet and gloves.

So, how long do you let your bike warm up?
About 15-20 seconds. At the usual temperatures around here oil is already warm and pressure comes up right away. In colder temps I'll give it a minute.
 
I always warm mine up about 3 mins before I ride off; just enough time to put on my jacket, gloves and helmet.
I can't remember the last time I rode cold........I do know it was many bikes and years ago.
 
I read somewhere about letting the VFR warm up enough that the engine temperature displays on the LCD readout. That usually takes a couple minutes and comes on at around 98 degrees, I believe. Of course, the CB doesn't have an engine temperature gauge (something I'm actually very happy about) but I still give it a couple minutes to warm up while I strap down anything I'm bringing, and put on my helmet and gloves. Necessary? I'm not sure. But it's an ingrained routine.
 
Lately, I've been letting it warm up a little longer... I start the bike, put on my helmet, then my gloves, then take the gloves off to strap on the helmet, then put my gloves back on. After that, I take my gloves off and remove my helmet, put my earplugs in, put my helmet on, strap it this time, then put on my gloves and licketysplit, I'm off!
 
My routine is to idle the bike while I strap down my back-pack and put on my jacket, gloves & helmet. Next, I ride down my street slowly in 1st. I putt for the next few blocks slowly in 2nd. Once out of my neighborhood, I ride like normal. It's an enjoyable habit that's hard to break.
 
This engine does not require a warm up. But being air cooled, if the outside temp is below 40 degree's I would let it warm up for a couple minutes before getting on it.

It's not like the old carb bikes where you can feel the horsepower drop as you hit a cold patch of air lol.
 
I don't follow a warm-up procedure per se.
I start the engine, pull on my gloves, mount up and pull away.
With the frequent stop signs, normal city traffic and traffic lights, it's probably 15-20 minutes before I clear the city core and reach streets/roads which are posted above 30 mph.
I keep the revs down, but by then the engine had had plenty of time to warm up.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Lately, I've been letting it warm up a little longer... I start the bike, put on my helmet, then my gloves, then take the gloves off to strap on the helmet, then put my gloves back on. After that, I take my gloves off and remove my helmet, put my earplugs in, put my helmet on, strap it this time, then put on my gloves and licketysplit, I'm off!
Ah, so I'm not the only dork that does that. It got so bad, had to make up an acronym for the procedure: KEHG (pronounced "keg".) Key (so your not looking like an idiot trying to fish it out of your pocket with your gloves on), Earplugs, Helmet, Gloves.

So far, I've managed to take off without forgetting my pants.

Wait, what was this thread about?
 
As posts above suggest and most people seem to believe a short warm-up period is a good idea, and I certainly agree.
strange, on the BMW car forum I belong too, many people point to the BMW manual that states not to let the engine sit and idle, to drive off slowly and, even though most of us think it's emission related, not really good for the engine.
I know I was in Canada once, letting my car warm up at a mountain lake area, someone knocked on my window and said I could get a ticket for letting my car sit and idle for too long, so maybe that is why BMW says to start moving.
Here is there quote from BMW 328i 2011 book.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Do not wait for the engine to warm up while the
vehicle remains stationary. Start driving right
away, but at moderate engine speeds.
----------------------------------
 
My warm up time is dictated by the dirt road I live on. I keep a slow pace and low rpm until I reach the pavement (1 mile) by then the motor is at normal idle speed and temperature.
 
Same as most here I guess. Start it up, put on helmet and gloves,etc. and ride off.

Ferret do you wait for 3 bars on the temp gauge on your ST? I do.
 
The VFR wouldn't VTEC if it was cold BTW...

Jacket already on, start the bike, earplugs, helmet, gloves, then rip it!
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Same as most here I guess. Start it up, put on helmet and gloves,etc. and ride off.

Ferret do you wait for 3 bars on the temp gauge on your ST? I do.
Popgun I usually wait until 2 bars (but sometimes 3) and then by the time I've gotten out of the neighborhood which has a 25 mph speed limit I'm at 3 bars.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Lately, I've been letting it warm up a little longer... I start the bike, put on my helmet, then my gloves, then take the gloves off to strap on the helmet, then put my gloves back on. After that, I take my gloves off and remove my helmet, put my earplugs in, put my helmet on, strap it this time, then put on my gloves and licketysplit, I'm off!
Too funny, that has been my routine too.
 
aschem_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Lately, I've been letting it warm up a little longer... I start the bike, put on my helmet, then my gloves, then take the gloves off to strap on the helmet, then put my gloves back on. After that, I take my gloves off and remove my helmet, put my earplugs in, put my helmet on, strap it this time, then put on my gloves and licketysplit, I'm off!
Too funny, that has been my routine too.
Too funny, that has been my routine too.
And what do you two mean by "I'm off"? Is your driveway covered in ice or is your sense of balance impaired by excessive donning and removal of your helmet? Maybe your helmet strap is too tight. Please refrain from riding a motorcycle on a public road until this issue is resolved.

Cheers
 
KEHG! This is brilliant. I start it up right before getting my riding gears on. That takes a minutes or two.
 
Hmmm .... Pterry raises an interesting question. Here in the states, "I'm off!" Could mean:

As Pterry inferred: "I've fallen off my motorcycle"
Or, as I intended: "I'm on my way"
It could also mean: "I'm done with work" (on vacation)
And even the very appropriate in this case: "I'm a little deranged"
 
Thread starter
Funny language.. English!
 
Back
Top