Warm-Up proceedure?

My CB takes a long time to warm up or at least until idle drop (Maybe I will time it tomorrow). I let it warm up for maybe 2 mins and then take off gently. When I stop at the stop sign 2 miles from the house the idle is down to normal.
 
we live in the age of injection .. it looks for everything and when you accelerate a lot more "warming stuff" gets into the engine than when it just stands only

of course needs our CB some specal time for warming up......the engineconstruction is optimatet to cooling
 
I don’t worry about warming up any of my vehicles but I do have mechanical empathy for each and try not to mash the accelerator until both the coolant and oil come up to temperature. On the CB, this usually means a few minutes of gentle riding when first starting out (yes, I know it doesn’t have coolant).
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I don’t worry about warming up any of my vehicles but I do have mechanical empathy for each and try not to mash the accelerator until both the coolant and oil come up to temperature. On the CB, this usually means a few minutes of gentle riding when first starting out (yes, I know it doesn’t have coolant).
It has coolant of a sort; it is oil-cooled.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I don’t worry about warming up any of my vehicles but I do have mechanical empathy for each and try not to mash the accelerator until both the coolant and oil come up to temperature. On the CB, this usually means a few minutes of gentle riding when first starting out (yes, I know it doesn’t have coolant).
It has coolant of a sort; it is oil-cooled.
It has coolant of a sort; it is oil-cooled.
... and oil is used to cool the inside cylinder walls.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I don’t worry about warming up any of my vehicles but I do have mechanical empathy for each and try not to mash the accelerator until both the coolant and oil come up to temperature. On the CB, this usually means a few minutes of gentle riding when first starting out (yes, I know it doesn’t have coolant).
It has coolant of a sort; it is oil-cooled.
It has coolant of a sort; it is oil-cooled.
... and oil is used to cool the inside cylinder walls.

and in particular to the CB 1100 the area around the spark plugs
 
I never let the CB idle on its main- or sidestand for a warm up. I start the engine and then immediately start my ride in a very gentle way. The CB takes some time to warm up the oil and the engine. In wintertime it takes longer, if the oiltemperature will ever reach a good warmed up temperature by the way I ride, not reving and pushing the CB hard. The bike can handle it and works fine. In my opinion the CB has a well checked out oiltemperature system, that can stand all situations. Riding in cold or warm weather, may it rain or shine. Honda knew exactly what they did with this aircooled engine. If not Honda, who else? I don't worry about it.

Wisedrum
 
I do like most people, fire it up and thrown on the jacket gloves and helmet etc, i ride out from there but i ride it pretty easy until i get 3-5 miles in or about 15 minutes, then i do what i want. Its probably overkill but i like to let things get good and warmed up before getting on it. And that's rare too lol. I had my big yamaha air cooled v twin out yesterday, first time since last october or november. I run 20w50 all year in it so def some thick oil and big engine running situation. I do the same and it runs great. Pretty much my standard for any vehicle whether on 4 wheels or 2. I let it run, not too long or short, go easy in the beginning, then free reign. Dont think you can go wrong like that:beerchug:
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
I never let the CB idle on its main- or sidestand for a warm up. I start the engine and then immediately start my ride in a very gentle way. The CB takes some time to warm up the oil and the engine. In wintertime it takes longer, if the oiltemperature will ever reach a good warmed up temperature by the way I ride, not reving and pushing the CB hard. The bike can handle it and works fine. In my opinion the CB has a well checked out oiltemperature system, that can stand all situations. Riding in cold or warm weather, may it rain or shine. Honda knew exactly what they did with this aircooled engine. If not Honda, who else? I don't worry about it.

Wisedrum
(+1) Sounds just right for me, any season.
 
I normally would start the engine and let her idle while putting on my gloves and pushing the bike out of my driveway. I don't warm up air cold engine for long as they normally run up to temp pretty fast. And the most damage is done during the firing up anyway. So i just ride gently around the resident area till I reach main traffic before i open up the throttle more. And for CB, i think the header will turn gold /brown if kept idling for too long. Anyway, i think the oil will travel faster to the engine header by riding gently compare to letting her idle. Also Injection engine tend to run rich when its cold and the extra petrol might actually wash the piston ring off any engine oil and cause more wear. So riding her gently will accelerate the warming process and reduce wear and tear compare of letting her idling till warm.
 
I just ride smooth and easy for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Idling is a waste of fuel, and does not warm up the engine and gearbox in an homogeneous way, and for me the engine seems happier above 2000rpm than idling.

Also, riding away ASAP is more polite towards my neighbours, and it's the healthier option when in closed parkings.
 
well we stop the engine for wait sooo long at the trafficlight....so simple is that....

or i am totaly agree with jtopiso
 
m in sc_imp said:
it absolutely warms the oil, which allows it to lubricate properly. the minute you start riding, it loads the lubricated surfaces exponentially by comparison. But to each their own.

waste of fuel . that's funny.:rofl: For 2-3 minutes? that's like a traffic light change.
I know. It's not going to change the economy.

3 minutes idling is about 30ml of fuel (that's metric estimate. In imperial must be around shot of bourbon :D).

If I do that on my daily commute...

30ml * 20 days *2 = 1200 ml (1.2 liters)

that's around 2 pints a month (and 2 hours of my time... although I could multitask, and let it idle while I put on gloves and helmet, so this is neglectible)

Modern oils can lubricate when cold (specially here, with mild weather). I wouldn't start a race with a cold engine, or rev it up to the redline, but I can certainly warm up the engine smoothly wihile I moving, and I am sure I won't be damaging anything, and I am saving both time and fuel. Also, I have a more even temperature on all the mechanical bits, as I am warming engine, transmision, bearings, dampers, etc... all at once.
 
we have here sa saying

who does not honor the cent is not worth the dollar (here in my currency smile)

or too

we here have basical a bit a other view of resources

and self i drive not only so 99% always in the sixth gear/speed so early and long as its possible/ function
 
yes i do

if I imagine that I only have to drive around for leisure so :
after all, a little bit of responsibility towards our children the next generations who must live here
 
eventual...
not really, there may be the question of how electricity is produced or extraction of raw materials for batteries
 
Ok I timed mine today Pulled her out, fired it up and hit the stopwatch. A little over 2 mins in idle dropped from 1500 to 1250 rpms 2 1/2 more minutes in it had dropped down to 1100 rpms. I took off and when I reached the end of the street 7/10 mile away at 25-30 mph it had dropped to 1000. So about 5 mins from start up to idle.
 
The German ADAC (that's something like AAA in the US) strongly suggests not to warm up the motor in idle. They say, it's a bad idea, as in idle the motor would need much longer to warm up the oil, thus the time of extra wear out would be prolonged.

So I start the engine and take off at gentle rpms for the first miles. Time of cold oil and thus time of high wearing is shorter that way.

Here is an article from the ADAC in German. May be, you could use google translate to get it in English:
Motor warmlaufen lassen

Hm, discussing warming up motor oil is a kind of an oil thread, isn't it? :beerchug:
 
Back
Top