Want a new CB?

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I just ran across a heck of a deal if you know of anyone looking. There's a brand new 2014 black CB1100 at Shawnee Honda in OK for $6999.
 
Wow same price as a non ABS Suzuki SV650 or Honda NC 700. SO much more bike for the money.
 
When I was new bike shopping (I "settled" for a lightly used DLX) I found some local dealers "selling" the CB for $7100 or $7300 but it ended up at $8400 after fees, destination charges, etc. which annoyed me so much that I went used. 69 is a deal though (depending on aforementioned markups).

According to one dealer, Honda still has a bunch of these in warehouses, so I suspect that the deals will continue.
 
The "fees" are really where dealers make their money, especially the so-called "setup" fee. A good technician can set up a bike in probably 15 minutes, but this fee seems to be based on taking more like an hour or two. Nevertheless, at original full MSRP, $10,399 for the non-ABS, Standard, the same additional fees would apply. The CB1100 is truly a GREAT value and a fantastic all around motorcycle for thousands less.
 
I was told that not more then 2-3 months ago someone (writers father) bought a 2014 Standard new, for $7,500 Out the Door, including California taxes and registration fees. They also said the dealer had 4 of them at the time.
 
I purchased my '14 standard in January for $7940, and paid another $250 for title and 4 year registration. OR has no sales tax, so that was it. A few months later there was a used '14 selling for 5900 on CL with only 1400 miles. Had I known I would have waited the 4 months to save the 2 grand, but compared to other bikes, these prices of late are quite reasonable.
 
BAR, that sounds similar but not quite what I posted about my buying experience in May. I DID get a left over 2014 non-ABS, standard for $7500 (i.e. the sales price of the bike itself), PLUS dealers fees, tax and registration. I financed the purchase, but the OTD price would of been right around $10k. Still a good deal (for CA anyway) considering the original Honda MSRP was $10,399, plus additional dealer fees, tax, and registration.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if dealers just advertised the price for what the bike costs OTD, instead of making buyers go thru the (hidden cost) "numbers game".
 
dsinned_imp said:
BAR, that sounds similar but not quite what I posted about my buying experience in May. I DID get a left over 2014 non-ABS, standard for $7500 (i.e. the sales price of the bike itself), PLUS dealers fees, tax and registration. I financed the purchase, but the OTD price would of been right around $10k. Still a good deal (for CA anyway) considering the original Honda MSRP was $10,399, plus additional dealer fees, tax, and registration.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if dealers just advertised the price for what the bike costs OTD, instead of making buyers go thru the (hidden cost) "numbers game".
That's my beef. I don't mind them making a profit - they need to stay in business. Just be more upfront about what I'm paying.
 
I don't understand the issue. Dealers do openly disclose their fees, some of which are non-negotiable. I've never agreed to a deal only to be told later that the price would be something different. Everything's listed on the deal sheet and sales contract.
 
Thread starter
Some dealers here in TX advertise out-the-door (OTD) pricing. That's what mine was when I paid $7499. Well, it wasn't quite "out the door." I still had to pay sales tax. But that's not a dealer-added cost.
 
The "finance and administration fee" is the biggest scam, especially if you're paying cash. This was one of the non-negotiable fees when I bought my bike and the financing and administration process involved taking my cashier's cheque and filing out a transfer of ownership form that anyone who has ever sold a used car in Canada could fill out in 5 minutes. Such is life though....
 
The one that gets me is the "documentation fee." It's typically preprinted on the deal sheet in big bold letters, and "absolutely non-negotiable" (at least around here). They claim it's their cost of processing the title paperwork with the DMV. But different dealers charge different amounts, so it's obviously arbitrary. I've never been able to negotiate it away.
 
Paid $7995 OTD for mine 2 weeks ago. No BS fees. They gave me a temp tag and mailed me the title. I went to the DMV myself last week and paid the tax & tag.
 
Back
Top