the Ferret
Road warrior
Thread starter
I normally make a couple of trips a year, 2,000 to 2,200 miles on average. Freestyling, with no plan or anything other than a general destination is my favorite. Good luck and keep riding long and hard
-MotoGeezer_
Our friend MotoGeezer has said this on multiple occasions and it always fascinated me. I will wander aimlessly around home although generally not. For instance I know today I will be heading down 222 to 50, out 50 to Hillsboro Ohio, down 247 to the river at Aberdeen then take 52 back home.
I have all the routes planned out for the Men's Fall Trip which will take place this year in eastern Ohio. It takes place in September and I already know what exact roads/routes we will be riding on what days. Hotel rooms will be booked in the next few days.
When I go out of state I go to a specific spot on specific roads, and stay in specific places all planned in advance.
For some reason I just can't imagine saying to my wife, Honey, I'm headed out for a few days. Nowhere in particular, think I will just head northwest and see what I find. More likely for me it would be Honey think I will ride up to South Dakota, I've always wanted to see the Bad Lands. Think I will take 74 over to Indy, then 80 over to 39 north, spend the first night in XXX. (I always have hotel rooms booked in advance). Then on up to XXX .... Be back on the 23rd.
Just wondered how many of you are wanderers, like Geezer, or route riders like yours truly?
-MotoGeezer_
Our friend MotoGeezer has said this on multiple occasions and it always fascinated me. I will wander aimlessly around home although generally not. For instance I know today I will be heading down 222 to 50, out 50 to Hillsboro Ohio, down 247 to the river at Aberdeen then take 52 back home.
I have all the routes planned out for the Men's Fall Trip which will take place this year in eastern Ohio. It takes place in September and I already know what exact roads/routes we will be riding on what days. Hotel rooms will be booked in the next few days.
When I go out of state I go to a specific spot on specific roads, and stay in specific places all planned in advance.
For some reason I just can't imagine saying to my wife, Honey, I'm headed out for a few days. Nowhere in particular, think I will just head northwest and see what I find. More likely for me it would be Honey think I will ride up to South Dakota, I've always wanted to see the Bad Lands. Think I will take 74 over to Indy, then 80 over to 39 north, spend the first night in XXX. (I always have hotel rooms booked in advance). Then on up to XXX .... Be back on the 23rd.
Just wondered how many of you are wanderers, like Geezer, or route riders like yours truly?

If you haven't tried it and would like to, try a little at a time. One or two nights out in the world, then back home. If it agrees with you, ultimately make it as long as you like. A great old friend of mine I met at a Moto Guzzi rally here in FL years ago, Ohio Jack (RIP), was an inspiration too. Retired, he'd hit the road for weeks at a time on a ratty old white Guzzi with top box and hard cases. His Guzzi ran like a champ and was approaching 300k miles. For me now, at 67 and 1/2 years young, I'm still at it enjoying trips the CB. As you know, I got a new Yamaha XSR900 triple 'cause while wonderful, the CB just didn't quite fill my need for speed and razor sharp handling in the twisties. So between both, I've got my bases covered. Hope you enjoyed an overly lengthy diatribe from an aging senior who plans to ride as long as he can, and see lots more of this beautiful country of ours. Participating in this forum always brings a smile to my face. Good riding my friends