Waiting for the new Flyscreen from Dart?

Leaning_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
The Dart Website says their Marlin flyscreen will be available in March.
Supposed to be a little bigger with a little more wind protection, might be just the ticket.
Can't wait to see some pictures.

Leaning
 
I'm kinda on the fence about the whole screen thing on naked bikes. I've got a modular helmet that is supposed to be very good for riding without a shield. I also want to keep her naked looks kinda totally still naked CB looking so on that side of the fence the Dart makes great sense for those of us wanting a shield.

But that might be wishful thinking on my part and I will need one, even though I remember not needing one except in the cold of winter back in the 70s, when I was young enough not to care and besides, nobody ran with shields back then except "touring" bikes, whatever that happened to be to anyone back during that golden age of 750s.

After I ride awhile I might be on one side or the other like you guys and hope you will review them after they come in cause the current shield does look very good, mini and all. - Art
 
I rode a 1979 750 Honda for a few years. No fairing or windshield but that was when I lived in N.E. Ohio. I probably put maybe 1000 miles a year on a bike back then and never really rode fast for long periods of time. Now I live in Arizona where the roads are wide and the weather is great 99% of the time. I usually put 5,000 miles a year on a bike. I bought a Shoei rf 1200 helmet last year, supposedly a very quiet helmet. But I still added a MRA speed screen on my Griso. The 2014 Honda had a mid sized windshield installed when I bought it, it works well but it is ugly. I ordered a Comet from Japan a week ago. Frankly I am spoiled at this stage of my life, I'm 66 and in really good shape but high speed riding is exhausting without some kind of shield/screen. I also had a BMW K1200 GT with a massive adjustable windshield. That was like riding in a cocoon, although it could be really comfortable when the weather got bad. I sold the GT to purchase the CB1100.
 
Griso Guy_imp said:
I rode a 1979 750 Honda for a few years. No fairing or windshield but that was when I lived in N.E. Ohio. I probably put maybe 1000 miles a year on a bike back then and never really rode fast for long periods of time. Now I live in Arizona where the roads are wide and the weather is great 99% of the time. I usually put 5,000 miles a year on a bike. I bought a Shoei rf 1200 helmet last year, supposedly a very quiet helmet. But I still added a MRA speed screen on my Griso. The 2014 Honda had a mid sized windshield installed when I bought it, it works well but it is ugly. I ordered a Comet from Japan a week ago. Frankly I am spoiled at this stage of my life, I'm 66 and in really good shape but high speed riding is exhausting without some kind of shield/screen. I also had a BMW K1200 GT with a massive adjustable windshield. That was like riding in a cocoon, although it could be really comfortable when the weather got bad. I sold the GT to purchase the CB1100.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll stay at 55-60 on two lanes and avoid interstates. Like the trip to NC this May. I have a back way country roads all the way into the meet and don't plan on spending money on a shield until I decide to go to Sturgis, which is on my bucket list for some reason I cannot quite remember. You know?
 
Asking DART the following..

"will the new Marlin screen attach to the hardware I already have installed on my bike with my dart classic screen on my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe?"
 
TINK_imp said:
Asking DART the following..

"will the new Marlin screen attach to the hardware I already have installed on my bike with my dart classic screen on my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe?"
I can answer this: No. Steve at Dart said it will require new brackets. If he replies with any updated info on availability, please do share. I was planning to email his in a couple weeks if the website hasn't updated.
 
I asked Steve at Dart if the Marlin was ready for the '14 DLX. Reply came back:

"Not yet - it’ll be the older one we do first, and then the later models. Should be April, I reckon."
 
DAC_imp said:
I asked Steve at Dart if the Marlin was ready for the '14 DLX. Reply came back:

"Not yet - it’ll be the older one we do first, and then the later models. Should be April, I reckon."
Sounds to me like he will be getting the 2010-13 out a bit earlier. I shall fire off an email to Steve. Thanks for the update.
 
Steve for the benefit of our knowledge, does your company do any wind tunnel or smoke testing and try and get the wind managed in any particular way? Or is it mostly a styling excercise which has some benefit?

In other words do you know how high above the windscreen the majority of the wind hits at a given speed? Would a 5'6" guy catch the wind in the face and a 6'2" guy catch it mid chest? Or is that even a design criteria?
 
Woohoo! Ordered one!

I've been checking the site daily. Even checked this morning before it was put up for sale.

It looks great! I am stoked about this! Thanks Steve!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Steve for the benefit of our knowledge, does your company do any wind tunnel or smoke testing and try and get the wind managed in any particular way? Or is it mostly a styling excercise which has some benefit?

In other words do you know how high above the windscreen the majority of the wind hits at a given speed? Would a 5'6" guy catch the wind in the face and a 6'2" guy catch it mid chest? Or is that even a design criteria?

Good questions Ferret, and deserving of a proper answer. So here goes…

Taking the second question first, my priority is function. There’s no point in adding to the bike unless some functional benefit is attained. After that come appearance and aesthetics. So both are important, but it’s in the opposite order to your question.

We don’t do wind tunnel testing, but we do test on the road and make adjustments accordingly. To achieve the quality I require, each screen design requires a large investment in injection moulding tooling, so a lot of thought and testing goes into it: once the tooling is produced, that’s it - we can’t make changes so it’s important to get it right.

The reason we don’t do wind tunnel testing is that (apart from the fact that it’s expensive) there’s not much point. Unless you’re designing a big tourer or a race bike, you simply don’t have enough control over the aerodynamics of the overall bike and rider And therein lies the Dart philosophy… we make small screens because I believe they provide the greatest benefit to most riders.

It’s my belief that you either want a flyscreen or a fully-faired bike. The middle ground - large handlebar-mounted screens - is where you get the most problems with buffeting and instability, for little reward.

The point of a flyscreen is not to provide a bubble of still air over the rider. It can’t possibly do this. The intention is twofold - to smooth out the airflow over the instrument area (which otherwise is susceptible to a lot of turbulence) and to provide a cone of relatively still air in front of the rider’s chest. In this way, the rider (who on a naked bike resembles a parachute) is relieved of a good proportion of wind blast, making riding less of a strain at speed. A well-designed flyscreen will not affect airflow at head height.

As for height differences, it’s not that critical. The main difference between a tall guy and a short one is in the limbs - there’s generally only a couple of inches or so in the torso.

Hope this is helpful, and apologies for the length of the essay!

Steve
 
Great answers Steve, and I appreciate the response. Truthfully it makes a lot of sense. On this forum guys experimenting with different shields and cutting down larger ones until satisfied, we have found the happiest riders like a shield 8 1/2 to 10" over the ignition switch, which I'm guessing would fall right where your fly screens fall. Anything much taller than that and the noise and buffeting increase expotentially until gets screen gets up to almost eye level where the airflow is then pushed over the helmet.

Congrats on making a fine product, one our members are quite happy with, and thanks again for the response.
 
So cool to have you in the thread Steve! This forum is really something else, and Ferret you ought to be proud to have put it together.
 
Thanks, but Guth put the forum together, I just help keep an eye on it for him.

It's awesome for such a low volume selling motorcycle to have so many top shelf vendors taking part in the forum personally. very cool.
 
I have fitted my '10 model with a Dart Flyscreen. It works well for me. A pressure wave at my upper chest/shoulder level and my helmet is in clean air. If I'm playing and decide to "tuck in and flat tank it" it is possible to get complete protection. Not a position I can maintain for long, getting a bit long in the tooth for that sort of thing!

I cannot speak for products I know nothing about but I will say, without any hesitation, you will get good service and support from Steve. Good to see his post above.

Cheers
 
Undecider, can't wait to hear how you find it.
 
Great looking screen. I love my Dart, but I think this one's even better looking, so I'll be eager to see if there's any advantage to this one, wind-protection wise over the old one.
And for anyone even remotely considering one of these, let me say here that the quality is A1, and the customer service is beyond exceptional. Steve's the real deal, and definitely puts his clientele before his wallet.
 
Back
Top