Vinyl Wrapping

silascopathic_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am going to be wrapping my side covers in matte black vinyl tonite. I was thinking, has anyone thought of wrapping their tank in vinyl? I may try it. I want to go silver and what a great (inexpensive way) to test the color before committing to paint or powder.

I will post pictures of the side covers once they are completed.
 
Several people did their VStrom tanks and fairings with vinyl wrap. The bends and creases are a lot more complex than our tanks. It looked great to me, but what it looks like in person vs. photos are often different things.

You can find photos of the results on StromTrooper.
 
Thread starter
thanks spaceman! I was thinking that our tanks would be easy! you wouldn't even need to remove it.
that is an inspiring post from that guy! i definitely plan on trying this!
 
One of the best examples of vinyl wrapping; a four door Jeep done up in a topo map. That was cool.
 
" I think I may swap everything over to allen bolts"

A lesson we learned well in the 70's. Can't begin to tell you how many allen bolt engine kits we sold back then.

The side covers look good in black, especially with the black pipe.
 
Hard to tell in pictures, but are the corners wrapped smoothly? Or do they present issues to smooth application of the vinyl?
 
Thread starter
I didn't have a big enough piece to do the entire front fender so there is a seam in the center. as far as the corners, yes they are smooth. It took some getting used to (wrapping the vinyl) but i got it looking awesome!. '


The vinyl is:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Series1080/

i found my 1'x5' piece on amazon for $15.

I am gonna wrap my fender again once i get a bigger piece of vinyl. I am thinking of seriously wrapping my tank too!
 
silascopathic_imp said:
I didn't have a big enough piece to do the entire front fender so there is a seam in the center. as far as the corners, yes they are smooth. It took some getting used to (wrapping the vinyl) but i got it looking awesome!. '


The vinyl is:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Series1080/

i found my 1'x5' piece on amazon for $15.

I am gonna wrap my fender again once i get a bigger piece of vinyl. I am thinking of seriously wrapping my tank too!
I think tank would look great w/the Honda wing badge back on the wrap!
 
Thread starter
thats the plan fuzz! Now i gotta just figure out what silver to do. My new seat should be here within the next 10 days i'm hoping too!! Then the bike will really start to come together.
 
I'm loving all the mods; great work so far. :thumbsup:
Why the hell did you have to post that 3M link? Now you've given me even more stuff to lay awake at night over! :D
Hey, please post a pic of your bike with the wrap AND the aluminum cowl.
Or did I just miss it somewhere? There is no limit on pics. :)
Jim
 
Thread starter
42a7dcd01044ff64672b7cb0822b90c5.jpg

07f1a6d1f0ddc105537003ceeee316e2.jpg

cb36339221853077168097e533467dda.jpg

358e23228e9c5b8998021ddeabb2fabb.jpg


Just some close up pictures of my vinyl wrapping.
Waiting on the new cowl. The other one got mashed when I layed this bike down.
 
Looks good in close up pics as well
 
Back
Top