Vintage Honda Commercials

Awesome commercial. Gas prices were amazing back then eh? Trying to think back, I think the cheapest I can actually remember the price of gas was $0.39 gal.
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
Awesome commercial. Gas prices were amazing back then eh? Trying to think back, I think the cheapest I can actually remember the price of gas was $0.39 gal.
Adjusted for inflation, gas wasn't that much cheaper than today. The fact that wages have not kept pace with inflation is a whole other matter. I turned 16 in 1998 and regular unleaded was 79 cents per gallon. That might be significantly cheaper when adjusted for inflation. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has an inflation calculator. 79 cents in 1998 equals $1.15 today. What year would that 39 cent gas have been available?
 
I am guessing late sixties/early seventies, but can't be sure. I wasn't old enough to drive yet but remember riding in my dad's car and noticing the signs in gas stations.
Definately before '72 now that I think about it.
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
I am guessing late sixties/early seventies, but can't be sure. I wasn't old enough to drive yet but remember riding in my dad's car and noticing the signs in gas stations.
Definately before '72 now that I think about it.
I plugged 39 cents in for 1970 and it works out to $2.39 today. Here in Central Texas, gas is running about $2.55. Also consider the overall increase in fuel efficiency of today's vehicles.
 
Interesting. I guess we aren't really that far off then. Traditionally the US has always enjoyed MUCH lower gas prices than most of the rest of the world.
 
In 1968 I saw 3 gas stations at an intersection on Rte. 66 in New Mexico having a price war. The lowest had it for 29.9 cents a gallon.
 
In the 1950's I remember gas wars in Florida with prices around 24 cents a gallon. When you take into account that you could buy a cup of coffee and a slice of pie for about the same price back then, we are paying a similar percentage of our income on gasoline today.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
In the 1950's I remember gas wars in Florida with prices around 24 cents a gallon. When you take into account that you could buy a cup of coffee and a slice of pie for about the same price back then, we are paying a similar percentage of our income on gasoline today.
I'd love to find a place with a good slice of pie for the price of a gallon of gas. Coffee and pie sounds pretty good 'bout now.
 
Julia Luis-Dreyfus and an Aston Martin DB5 is almost perfect.
 
Back
Top