Vintage Bike Events

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
A few years back I rode out to Portland International Raceway to take in a vintage motorcycle event. They had racing, a bike show and a swap meet. The racing was cool, and there were some interesting things to be found at the swap meet but what I really enjoyed was all of the vintage bikes on display. Most of these pictures were taken from bikes people had brought out to the track just for the show. But a number of them were just what someone had happened to ride out on that day. (A number of bikes entered in the show had been ridden to the event as well.) There were cool old bikes all over the place. All in all this was a great event. I'm not sure if they are still doing this out at PIR, but if so it would be a great excuse to meet up with some of you here on the forum and take in a bunch of neat old bikes to boot. I'm sure that there are similar events held elsewhere around the country as well.

I've had these images sitting on my hard drive for quite a while now and thought I'd finally get around to sharing them. This is just a small sampling of what was on display that day.

eec6880775aaf06c1c3448a37913f7e3.jpg

ea273213350157596a45d9e085a589bf.jpg

477705d49a529712f52e8f90c16c19b6.jpg

556406c9806abfcf36589fb2b51fc89e.jpg

e4d7263d9a78b77d1d8e902cda3ce02c.jpg

10be4c4d1b2ec0461a535d646c2d86df.jpg

ebfd193d124e23702e2de59b5a6a1cb0.jpg

83cd0f79c0879cfc97a0afbab9fba089.jpg

7dcc6a6f585acd0d52bee0282f2a8d02.jpg

d90ef092eeb5957f22d10887f4099fe8.jpg

7fac0244cc3b2195741897970c2c4cfa.jpg

2460392d67cf0197ec39b9523cbfa63b.jpg
2e1273d664e783fe36de28963ac6daca.jpg

637dfea40db90435d50ea5ab4d3a31af.jpg
 
I'd like to go to the AMA Vintage Days at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio this year and maybe meet up with some other forum members. I haven't been to it before. I hope it's similar.
 
The Honda CX650E must have been an import. They never brought that bike into the country.

Awesome bikes! I love that stuff. We have an absolute giant of a vintage rally up at Mid Ohio race course here in Ohio. I have been there a couple times, but generally too big of a crowd for me, but if you want to find anything on a bike over 25 years old, or whole bikes for that matter, they will be there.

Cool pics Guth, thanks.
 
Thread starter
Looking back over these photos, I'm reminded that one of the things I really appreciate about the CB1100 is that it includes a center stand! It's a real shame that has truly become a retro feature.
 
Guth_imp said:
Looking back over these photos, I'm reminded that one of the things I really appreciate about the CB1100 is that it includes a center stand! It's a real shame that has truly become a retro feature.
I agree 100%.
My other Honda didn't have a center stand so I had to buy an aftermarket item made especially for that machine.
I hate not having one because it makes servicing and working on a bike so much harder.
 
Guth_imp said:
Looking back over these photos, I'm reminded that one of the things I really appreciate about the CB1100 is that it includes a center stand! It's a real shame that has truly become a retro feature.
I agree 100%.
 
Great pictures Guth... and Rocky, nice bike! Those Honda's, Kawasaki's, and that Bultaco really pull at my heartstrings. It's absolutely amazing to me how good an original Honda Cb750, or Kawasaki H1 or H2, or Z1 look today. They look as good today as they did back then...maybe better. I wonder why that is? Cars from that era don't look that great except maybe a Mach 1, Corvette, or 911... Yet just about every late 60's to mid 70's bike looks great... to me!!
 
Look at that Honda 750... Silver motor, gaiters, RLETs, painted headlight bucket, chrome instrument cups. Pure beauty and total inspiration.



.
 
Lovely photos, Guth. Thanks for sharing.

I remember when those Kawasaki 500 and 750 2-strokes were about the quickest thing around and, of the Japanese manufacturers, only Honda seemed interested in 4-stroke bikes. Then the Z1 appeared.

Arrrr those were the days, he thought, before remembering the invention of fuel injection and other modern improvements.
 
Back
Top