Video: oil and filter change

Excellent and professional job Scotty!!
The best part:
1. priming the oil filter = no dry running
2. tilting the bike = to get rid of "trapped" used oil....oil was clear :)
3. new washer and torquing the drain plug
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Excellent and professional job Scotty!!
The best part:
1. priming the oil filter = no dry running
2. tilting the bike = to get rid of "trapped" used oil....oil was clear :)
3. new washer and torquing the drain plug
Well thank you!
 
Nice job with the video, very clear and easy to follow. I do that lean over each side 3 times about 10 second each lean. Seems like there's always a bit more.
 
Thanks, Scotty. Nicely done.
 
Thread starter
Enzofour_imp said:
Hi Scotty, good job.
In total, how much oil did you put in?
Hey everybody, thanks for your generous comments. Feels good.

I think I used around 4 quarts. The reason I can't say for sure is that I began with a partially full container and wasn't being too exacting about it.
On that note, I think we/I tend to slightly overfill motorcycles. The CB1100 has unusually large oil capacity to begin with, I suspect it was engineered that way due to it being air/oil cooled. Volume has a lot to do with oil change interval.
For example, my 80 Series Land Cruisers have a reputation for being "very easy on its oil." Well, the 1FZ-FE engine has a good, internal oil cooler and 8 quarts of oil! That's a lot of capacity for a gasoline engine. If it had a 4 or 5 quart sump I doubt it would have its reputation.
But back to the CB1100: it's better to add oil than to be over that upper line when filling.
 
Finally got around to watching this. What a well edited video. Your camera work was great and your voice was like butter. Strong work!
 
Enzofour_imp said:
Hi Scotty, good job.
In total, how much oil did you put in?
I asked you this question because I have difficulty checking the level as described in the manual.
Even after 1/2 hour from switching off, the level control window is completely full, only after a few hours, when the engine is completely cold, the level drops to the maximum mark.
Use Motul 7100 10w30 qta 3,8 Lit. with Hiflo filter change
 
Thread starter
Enzofour_imp said:
Enzofour_imp said:
Hi Scotty, good job.
In total, how much oil did you put in?
I asked you this question because I have difficulty checking the level as described in the manual.
Even after 1/2 hour from switching off, the level control window is completely full, only after a few hours, when the engine is completely cold, the level drops to the maximum mark.
Use Motul 7100 10w30 qta 3,8 Lit. with Hiflo filter change
I asked you this question because I have difficulty checking the level as described in the manual.
Even after 1/2 hour from switching off, the level control window is completely full, only after a few hours, when the engine is completely cold, the level drops to the maximum mark.
Use Motul 7100 10w30 qta 3,8 Lit. with Hiflo filter change
Sounds like you're a little too full. I wouldn't worry about it, but next oil change try starting with less oil and over a few rides top it up. You definitely have good oil and filter. Don't be afraid of 10W-40 if your part of Italy is hot.
 
Back
Top