Victory Motorcycle to Wind Down Production

Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I imagine they are, but have never seen one. Never seen a Motus dealer, never talked to anyone that has ridden one. So, I can't say for sure.

At least Victory had some dealers, I've seen em, sat on em, and known a couple guys who actually have ridden them.

Motorcyclists have been begging for an American sport tourer for years. Maybe someday someone will step up. Harley could do it easly but won't. I have a feeling Indian never will either.
It's here...


It's here...



Lol if you think Victory had a tall hill to climb.....
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I imagine they are, but have never seen one. Never seen a Motus dealer, never talked to anyone that has ridden one. So, I can't say for sure.

At least Victory had some dealers, I've seen em, sat on em, and known a couple guys who actually have ridden them.

Motorcyclists have been begging for an American sport tourer for years. Maybe someday someone will step up. Harley could do it easly but won't. I have a feeling Indian never will either.
It's here...


It's here...



Lol if you think Victory had a tall hill to climb.....
I'm not sure why so dismissive of Motus. Any serious motorcyclist genuinely desiring an American sport touring machine would never reject the Motus out of hand, because there is no Plan B after Motus. Not to mention that it's a penultimate dream bike for the dedicated, lifetime sport touring rider. I follow Motus on Facebook, and the purchasers are almost always older guys who are basically saying, "This is the ultimate bike for me. It exceeds all of my expectations. Now I'm just content to ride it for the rest of my life."

The same sentiments I've heard expressed a time or two around this forum...

The business models of Polaris and Motus are in no way similar. Polaris is a giant corporation focused on the bottom line. Motus is a privately held venture going for a skimming strategy: the well-heeled, lifetime rider who has the desire and the scratch to buy the ultimate sport touring machine for the North American continent.

The pricing of the Motus actually isn't out of line at all with many of the Harley CVO offerings, but it is an incredibly more capable machine. It goes to show how much margin is baked into a Harley, when a small upstart can offer a better machine at roughly the same price as a major market power. I think Motus has pulled off an incredible accomplishment that shouldn't be scoffed at. Personally I'm in awe of the vision and achievement of Lee Conn and Brian Case.
 
I guess....but the fact remains that we were talking about bringing an US built sport touring bike to the US market and while the Motus may be defined as a "sport touring bike", "the US market" cannot possibly be defined at almost $40,000.
 
Man, that Motus Baby Block V4 is a beautiful motor. The bike is like an ST1300 on steroids. And it doesn't sound like a sewing machine. If I had 30 grand just sittin around, I might buy one just to listen to the sound when I ride. But then again, I could buy three more CB1100's for that price, and give one to each of my kids, and have change left over for farkles...
 
Thread starter
Maybe I dismiss them out of hand because (1) I am not well-heeled enough to pay that kind of money. I am well healed enough to pay between 1/4 of that and maybe 1/2 if I wanted to ride it forever and (2) I am not one of those motorcyclists that would buy an American made sport tourer anyway (but I know there is a sub set of motorcyclists clamoring for just such a machine). Chances are, no matter what, I would buy/drive a Japanese sport tourer. Not American, not British, not German, not Austrian, nor Italian either. I like Japanese products.

I imagine there are people who have bought Motus's and like them. I understand there are also people who have bought Ferraris and like them. I am not well-heeled enough for one of those either. I drive a Honda (and like it)

I would also dismiss a $1 million dollar home even if there were no Plan B like the modest home I currently live in. I am not well-healed enough to pay for one of those either.

I eat at McDonalds and Burger King and have no idea what beef wellington is remember? I don't like paying more than $10 for a meal and prefer paying less than $5. The best (only) wine I can name off hand is Boone's Farm and I couldn't name a fine cigar if you held a razor to my throat. I wear HJC helmets and run of the mill Tourmaster jackets and pants (all bought on sale). I sleep in Red Roofs and Comfort Inns on the road because Holiday Inns cost too much. The only thing well-heeled in my house are my Alpinestars touring boots.

Just a common everyday run of the mill Ferret ;)
 
I chatted up a guy who had the Motus sporty version outside Iron Pony one day. (IP is a local mega motorcycle dealership/gear store.) That guy started that thing up and it was like standing next to a big block Chevy dragster. Crazy loud. Pulled away pretty briskly too. It would be a fun thing to have if I was a gazillionaire. But for a poor working stiff who gets one toy to play with, I'll stick with the CB. (A rock and a string is pretty fun as well - if you're on a budget.)
 
Thread starter
See DAC understands :rofl: (btw I could only afford the rock)
 
Is there some interstate thing happening here? Kentucky v Ohio?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Is there some interstate thing happening here? Kentucky v Ohio?
Well, yeah there's that! :P
Full disclosure here...my profession was formerly engineering but now it is marketing. One of the first things you have to learn in marketing is: do not take your personal biases and preferences as the reference standard. You have to make every attempt to step outside of your distorted personal prism and look at it from the perspective of others who have different needs, wants, and means.
 
Thread starter
Big rivers make for good neighbors lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Big rivers make for good neighbors lol
Good thing Kentucky owns the "Ohio" River...gotta keep you Buckeyes as far over there as possible! :D

You blokes leave a mess in our outhouses anyway... :rofl:
 
Hey Ferret. Love that Motus video. The bulk, if not all of it was shot in Utah. The opening (at 00.55 and 1.03) was filmed just outside of Escalante on the Devils Backbone. The clip of the bike heading left through that red notch was coming west just north of Hite Crossing at the north end of Lake Powell. I've ridden almost every section of that video several times. Much of it should look familiar to James Kirk as well. I'll be there in early April doing just what was shown.
 
The reason I would never buy a specialty item like the Motus is the maintenance would be ridiculous, very little dealer support, I've never seen or heard if one and it's expensive. I can afford one but I wouldn't bother with it. Sounds like a 40k dollar headache. Maybe it's well built but I don't want to be the one to test it out.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
Frulk_imp said:
Hey Ferret. Love that Motus video. The bulk, if not all of it was shot in Utah. The opening (at 00.55 and 1.03) was filmed just outside of Escalante on the Devils Backbone. The clip of the bike heading left through that red notch was coming west just north of Hite Crossing at the north end of Lake Powell. I've ridden almost every section of that video several times. Much of it should look familiar to James Kirk as well. I'll be there in early April doing just what was shown.
I thought it looked like great country. Love to ride it sometime.
 
Ok, there is a dealer or two with in 50 to 100 miles of me which isn't too unreasonable, about the same as Indian dealers.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Maybe down the road Motus may have more product and dealers to choose from and the price will drop. Could be interesting in the future.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
I'm surprised by how far Motus has been off the radar for some in this discussion. Motus has not been hiding.

The bike's development was closely followed in the motorcycle press, and now that it is in production the reviews are in. Every reviewer I've read was blown away by a 550-pound sport touring bike with the endlessly available torque of a 1650cc V4 engine. With the "base" MST engine, 80 ft-lbs are available off idle, and there is never less than 100 ft-lbs from 3000 - 8000 rpm, with the max of 123 ft-lbs coming in the middle of the torque curve at 5000 rpm.

They have traveling demos that go around to dealers (during the riding season) giving test rides. I missed the chance last summer; when the demos came to my area I has out of town.

The "base" Motus MST list price is $31k. That's not pocket change but it is not out of the question for many people considering other bikes in that price range, such as the aforementioned BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive at $30,395. (aside: I ride with a guy with a GTL. He "upgraded" from his R1200RT and he hates the bulk and weight of the 794 lb GTL...wants to go back to an RT.)

Motus is well aware that they are building their dealer network, so the bike is designed to be user-serviceable. There's not a lot to service anyway: the 2-valve, cam-in-block pushrod engine has hydraulic lifters that never need adjustment. The spark plugs are right there out in the open.

Here's their US dealer according to their website:



The closest one to me is Columbus, Ohio which is about two hours away. I don't see that as a huge issue: my closest BMW dealer is in Louisville, Kentucky...also two hours away.

Lee Conn describes who the Motus buyer is:

"Motus is not for everyone. This is not your first bike. It's really designed for discerning riders with a lot of miles, who understand the difference.

Our riders don't belong to one tribe where you need chaps and fringes and a closed-minded attitude to other bikes. He or she isn't necessarily a walking billboard for their brand of choice. They are aficionados, real riders. Whether riding to meet their buddies at a favorite overlook, or riding long distance up into the twisting mountain roads for dinner and a quick overnight fix, Motus riders have a broader, all-encompassing passion for this crazy obsession that is motorcycling. They want to go fast but they want to go far."

Here's a satisfied owner telling us why he bought the bike:




And another test rider explaining why the Motus exceeds expectations:


 
I'll settle for this one.


Cormanus assumes an angelic face. :angel:

Breathe. And again. Writes:

Stichill, you're promoting this overpowered ST / FJR 1300 knock off big time. Why?

I know! You want one! :D:

So, do us all a favour and get on with it. Quickly, before Mrs Stichill finds out.

Take it for a thrash—one of Forest Gump proportions—and tell us about it.

Then buy a 2017 CB1100 EX and acknowledge that the lust for power and kudos afforded by the Motus wasn't worth it.

:worship: :banana: :P:
 
Back
Top