Vermin in the air filter!

Skypilot_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So yes the title of the thread is exactly what happened. Just doing routine maintenance and came across what you see below nuts and all. I was going to order the stock filter but does anybody run the K & N air filter? About the same price and I’ve always had good luck with K & N. http://

 
Those critters can crawl into the weirdest places. Guys over on the ST forum are always finding mice nests on top of their fuel injectors where they invariably chew thru some wires.

They love my shed and my lawn equipment. I've started a leaf blower and blown nest and babies all over the driveway. Now I cover the tubes of the leaf blowers and air cleaner duct on the riding mower with aluminum foil, and run about 4 snap traps with peanut butter to keep them at bay.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Those critters can crawl into the weirdest places. Guys over on the ST forum are always finding mice nests on top of their fuel injectors where they invariably chew thru some wires.

They love my shed and my lawn equipment. I've started a leaf blower and blown nest and babies all over the driveway. Now I cover the tubes of the leaf blowers and air cleaner duct on the riding mower with aluminum foil, and run about 4 snap traps with peanut butter to keep them at bay.
I have a feeling the nest was there when I bought it from the owner. The material that the nest was made out of did not come from my home or property. Either way the traps are coming out tomorrow.
 
Wow, that's amazing! We don't seem to have that issue around here.

The prior owner of my DLX installed a K&N air filter. When I discovered it, it quickly found itself in the trash. The OEM Honda filter works just fine, without the second-guessing.
 
Skypilot_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Nature ultimately wins in the end.
Well said sir. So recommendations are to get a new Honda filter and skip on the K & N?
Well said sir. So recommendations are to get a new Honda filter and skip on the K & N?
Heh, heh, um, tanks, I tink. (I meant "Nature").

(+1) OEM. How often is an air filter replaced on a CB? I reckon desert owners might replace more often, no?
 
Won’t use their oil filters moving forward but have used their air filters for years with no problems. One time buy, easy to clean. I’ve toured their factory and have seen how little oil they use on them. A lot of people over oil them, which can booger up intake sensors.

Your photo gives me pause. My bike sat in an enclosed garage in an urban area, but with only 1700 miles in six years before I got it, lots of time for critters to set up shop.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Won’t use their oil filters moving forward but have used their air filters for years with no problems. One time buy, easy to clean. I’ve toured their factory and have seen how little oil they use on them. A lot of people over oil them, which can booger up intake sensors.

Your photo gives me pause. My bike sat in an enclosed garage in an urban area, but with only 1700 miles in six years before I got it, lots of time for critters to set up shop.
Hmmm mine was in a garage in upstate Maine. Vermin central!

 
I'm fortunate during the winter storage period to have the bikes inside where there are no nice.
They sit in my garage in the summer, but the building is pretty much sealed so I don't worry about them out there.
Knock on wood, so far, so good :D :D
 
A recent article in Motorcycle Consumer News told of the woes that are possible when buying a pristine, older low-mileage bike. I think the bike in question was a '99 or so VFR. It looked perfect, but the after-purchase inspection revealed that all of the rubber bits were dried up, and the air filter was a multi-unit mouse apartment complex. If there article wasn't a hypothetical, the new owner ended up donating the bike rather than repairing it.

My in-laws live on a farm in rural San Diego county. Their car is parked outside, and is perpetually being chewed on by mice, and oddly enough, the engine is covered in snails. One of my jobs whenever I visit is to check all of the car's functions and lights, and make repairs and patches as necessary. I have put about six mouse traps in the engine compartment.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
A recent article in Motorcycle Consumer News told of the woes that are possible when buying a pristine, older low-mileage bike. I think the bike in question was a '99 or so VFR. It looked perfect, but the after-purchase inspection revealed that all of the rubber bits were dried up, and the air filter was a multi-unit mouse apartment complex. If there article wasn't a hypothetical, the new owner ended up donating the bike rather than repairing it.

My in-laws live on a farm in rural San Diego county. Their car is parked outside, and is perpetually being chewed on by mice, and oddly enough, the engine is covered in snails. One of my jobs whenever I visit is to check all of the car's functions and lights, and make repairs and patches as necessary. I have put about six mouse traps in the engine compartment.
The snails are interesting.
 
I really don't get the snails at all. I've worked on cars for years, parked in all kinds of weird places, and have never seen that. My wife postulated that the rats and mice might be bringing the snails onto the engine to store as food.
 
Thread starter
I’m getting off topic here but a buddy of mine bought a vintage Italian scooter last year and asked me to get it running. I told him no dice after I opened up the fiberglass to find very little in the way of wiring left as well old mice nests AND a working birds nest WITH eggs! It had been under his deck for a couple of years. Nature wins again...
 
I have a K&N and I just checked it today when I installed my new battery. Looked good so I just reinstalled it.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
A recent article in Motorcycle Consumer News told of the woes that are possible when buying a pristine, older low-mileage bike. I think the bike in question was a '99 or so VFR. It looked perfect, but the after-purchase inspection revealed that all of the rubber bits were dried up, and the air filter was a multi-unit mouse apartment complex. If there article wasn't a hypothetical, the new owner ended up donating the bike rather than repairing it.

My in-laws live on a farm in rural San Diego county. Their car is parked outside, and is perpetually being chewed on by mice, and oddly enough, the engine is covered in snails. One of my jobs whenever I visit is to check all of the car's functions and lights, and make repairs and patches as necessary. I have put about six mouse traps in the engine compartment.
Mothballs in the BBQ at our Arizona ranch discourage deer mice.

Until the fox population increased, mothballs under the hood of the truck were effective for parking a couple nights. No garage, but I should build a carport for hail protection.
 
When I store my bikes for the long haul, a month or more, due to my job as a sailor... I follow a simple routine. Get some knee high nylons. Fill with some mothballs. Hang one on the front right handle bar and the other on the left rear turn signal. Cover the exhaust with a bag or plug. Then cover the bike with a motorcycle cover. Then roll up the bottom of the cover and use a Hand Clamp to hold it shut. I have done this for over 30 years and never a problem till once I waited too long to renew the mothballs and I saw evidence of some that tried to live there.

Some of my bikes stay like this for over 2 years at a time. Yes you need to renew the mothballs from time to time.
 
I went to the in laws yesterday to fix a plumbing leak and forgot mothballs. Shoot! Meant to try that.

But, opened the hood on their car and set three more rat traps.

At the Petersen, we put tennis balls in the intake stacks of cars in long term storage to keep dirt and critters out. I love it when people say “How does the car run with tennis balls in the engine?”
 
So, got home and decided to check my air cleaner since my bike sat in a garage a while until I bought it.

Removed both air cleaner covers but didn’t see a way to access the filter. I’m sure I missed something and didn’t have time to check the manual which I’m sure will explain how to get to it.
 
Back
Top