Valves - to check or not to check

"spin the dang cam around where it ain't contacting the lobe."
True enough, that separates the Top Dead Center compression stroke from TDC exhaust or two rotations of the crankshaft per full cycle

"the cam lobe is contacting the valve or it isn't. "
Maximum full open is not just open even for intake readings. Do not rotate in reverse to find it.
 
Birddogvet_imp said:
"spin the dang cam around where it ain't contacting the lobe."
True enough, that separates the Top Dead Center compression stroke from TDC exhaust or two rotations of the crankshaft per full cycle

"the cam lobe is contacting the valve or it isn't. "
Maximum full open is not just open even for intake readings. Do not rotate in reverse to find it.
Have you ever checked the valves on a shim under bucket valve train? When the lobe is pointing away from the valve, take the minimal shim clearance feeler and if it slides in, you're good. I don't see any reason to go to TDC to check any of the valves. The cam should be true all the way around until it hits the lobe.
 
Lee finished my valve check Saturday. Cylinders 1 & 2 were fine, 3 was loose on the exhaust, 4 was loose on both intake and exhaust. None of them out by very much.
He said the shims are the same as the Yamaha R6 uses.
 
Moto,

Did they give you the numbers? Would be nice to see some actual data.
 
Hmmm I thought the skinny on this type of valve arrangement was that they got tighter with wear, not looser?
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
12cb96vfr_imp said:
well.................I'm a moron!!! hahaha my buddy just called me and said all the valves are spot-on 100% perfect. I guess i was checking them wrong, b/c he said everything is good to go!

All in all I'm glad I checked, at least I know I'm all set now.
Question: when you checked them (incorrectly), did you follow the procedure in the Honda shop manual? Because that's how I'm planning to do it and now I'm kind of worried that I might mess it up.
Question: when you checked them (incorrectly), did you follow the procedure in the Honda shop manual? Because that's how I'm planning to do it and now I'm kind of worried that I might mess it up.
sorry man I've not been on here much - yes I did (at least i thought I did haha), BUT I've never done it before so I'm sure I was doing it wrong. It was my first time doing shim under bucket valves so I guess I was doing something bass ackwards :)
 
Pop, they is my buddy Lee, lifetime Honda mech. The next size up shims, whatever they are.
Ferret, without baselining, your postulation can't be known. Next time, we'll have something to compare to.
I just ride 'em, I leave the technical stuff to Lee. I have a detail guy too. 'Cause I'd rather be leanin' than cleanin' :)
 
I had my CB to the 24,000 km service today. Valves were checked and all are in spec.

There were some minor differences to the measurements of the 12,000 km service, which I suppose to be more or less measurement errors.

However, those iridium spark plugs, which should be changed every 24,000 km are really expensive! One is 45 € (49 USD).
 
Django_imp said:
I had my CB to the 24,000 km service today. Valves were checked and all are in spec.

There were some minor differences to the measurements of the 12,000 km service, which I suppose to be more or less measurement errors.

However, those iridium spark plugs, which should be changed every 24,000 km are really expensive! One is 45 € (49 USD).
Are they really iridium sparks, which Honda installed?
I guess no, 'cause I pulled one out, to see in which condition it was in round about at 12.000km and it doesn't look like the one I know.

Instead of this I found a spark which Honda recommends for 14,95€ in an online shop.
Somewhere in the future I will change them, but as long everything runs well....

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Django_imp said:
I had my CB to the 24,000 km service today. Valves were checked and all are in spec.

There were some minor differences to the measurements of the 12,000 km service, which I suppose to be more or less measurement errors.

However, those iridium spark plugs, which should be changed every 24,000 km are really expensive! One is 45 € (49 USD).
Are they really iridium sparks, which Honda installed?
I guess no, 'cause I pulled one out, to see in which condition it was in round about at 12.000km and it doesn't look like the one I know.

Instead of this I found a spark which Honda recommends for 14,95€ in an online shop.
Somewhere in the future I will change them, but as long everything runs well....

Wisedrum
Here it is part 11, Honda-part-no.: 31908-MGC-003
Zylinderkopf für Honda CB 1100 ABS 2013 - Honda

The NGK LMAR 8 A-9S could be a substitute:
http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/zundkerze-lmar-8-a-9s-6817.html

That's only 26 €, if you're brave. :D

(Disclaimer: I just found this information by looking around, it is not my knowledge and I don't give any recommendation. You are on your own.)

For myself, I guess, the first 200,000 km I prefer genuine Honda parts. :P
 
Django_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
Django_imp said:
I had my CB to the 24,000 km service today. Valves were checked and all are in spec.

There were some minor differences to the measurements of the 12,000 km service, which I suppose to be more or less measurement errors.

However, those iridium spark plugs, which should be changed every 24,000 km are really expensive! One is 45 € (49 USD).
Are they really iridium sparks, which Honda installed?
I guess no, 'cause I pulled one out, to see in which condition it was in round about at 12.000km and it doesn't look like the one I know.

Instead of this I found a spark which Honda recommends for 14,95€ in an online shop.
Somewhere in the future I will change them, but as long everything runs well....

Wisedrum
Here it is part 11, Honda-part-no.: 31908-MGC-003
Zylinderkopf für Honda CB 1100 ABS 2013 - Honda

The NGK LMAR 8 A-9S could be a substitute:
http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/zundkerze-lmar-8-a-9s-6817.html

That's only 26 €, if you're brave. :D

(Disclaimer: I just found this information by looking around, it is not my knowledge and I don't give any recommendation. You are on your own.)

For myself, I guess, the first 200,000 km I prefer genuine Honda parts. :P
Here it is part 11, Honda-part-no.: 31908-MGC-003
Zylinderkopf für Honda CB 1100 ABS 2013 - Honda

The NGK LMAR 8 A-9S could be a substitute:
http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/zundkerze-lmar-8-a-9s-6817.html

That's only 26 €, if you're brave. :D

(Disclaimer: I just found this information by looking around, it is not my knowledge and I don't give any recommendation. You are on your own.)

For myself, I guess, the first 200,000 km I prefer genuine Honda parts. :P

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8d66f870022e4ccd3236/cylinder-head
 
Back
Top