Valve Clearance Cost

bertypower_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey there guys,

Contemplating getting the dealer to do my VC check and adjust. Got some quotes and looks like it’s gonna be about $550 just for the check. If the valves need to be adjusted it would be another 250 or so. So about 850 or so. Is this normal? I understand it’s a time consuming job...

There is an Independant mechanic that I sometimes use who would do the job for a few hundred less...

Honestly I’m leaning on just biting the bullet I guess. My bike is at 11.5K. Is everyone here adjusting every 8K or waiting till 16K? Or not at all until something happens?

I have some slight weeping on one of the chrome cylinders. I mean maybe a drop every 200mi. But it’s intermittent. Some days it’s just clear.

2c appreciated!
 
Have not checked the valves yet within over 6 years and 67.000km. As here stated once, if the bike runs fine, has fine fuel consumption, starts easily and so on, why worry? I don't. Of course valves clearance can diminish, that's true and can cause some damage. It's up to your own risk. I take this risk and don't want to spend so much money. Some day and after many more km I will get the valves checked. Maybe. I don't push the CB hard and let her warm up long enough on each ride.
 
You'll hear a loose valve clicking, but one that gets too tight will eventually not be able to cool itself (not enough solid contact with the head material each cycle) and you'll burn it. Then you are looking at a head rebuild at minimum, or maybe the whole engine depending on how the destruction dominoes fall.

It's a gamble to let them go that long. I wouldn't, but it's your call.

--Joe
 
Thread starter
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?
 
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.
 
Thumbs up for Max ... I was scratching my head over the tech writing, and I always thought my records are messy until this...... hahaha
 
Thanks mate, it took me a while but i think i got close enough, interesting those smaller size shims, just as well i got some more.
 
Heh, heh, the greasy notes are techs live data ....Max's are office clean deciphering = all good!
:beerchug:
 
bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?


The problem isn't having the right tools- it is exactly what else you said- you have the time to make sure it is done right, double/triple check and take care.

Shops pretty much never do the same quality of a job that a person would do themselves. Doesn't matter if a car, bike, lawnmower, ....building a house, deck, roof, you name it.


bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?

max_imp said:
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.

I think I don't trust that kids work.

Sorry, but wow to both the notes and the 'results'.

There pretty much zero chance you needed 9 valves tightened up.

It is likely the bike is worse off for having that 'work' done.

Problem is you won't hear an issue on it being tight. 'Sounds good, no problem'.

I hope I'm wrong and it runs great for you with no issues for as long as you own it.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?


The problem isn't having the right tools- it is exactly what else you said- you have the time to make sure it is done right, double/triple check and take care.

Shops pretty much never do the same quality of a job that a person would do themselves. Doesn't matter if a car, bike, lawnmower, ....building a house, deck, roof, you name it.


bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?

max_imp said:
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.

I think I don't trust that kids work.

Sorry, but wow to both the notes and the 'results'.

There pretty much zero chance you needed 9 valves tightened up.

It is likely the bike is worse off for having that 'work' done.

Problem is you won't hear an issue on it being tight. 'Sounds good, no problem'.

I hope I'm wrong and it runs great for you with no issues for as long as you own it.


The problem isn't having the right tools- it is exactly what else you said- you have the time to make sure it is done right, double/triple check and take care.

Shops pretty much never do the same quality of a job that a person would do themselves. Doesn't matter if a car, bike, lawnmower, ....building a house, deck, roof, you name it.


bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?

max_imp said:
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.

I think I don't trust that kids work.

Sorry, but wow to both the notes and the 'results'.

There pretty much zero chance you needed 9 valves tightened up.

It is likely the bike is worse off for having that 'work' done.

Problem is you won't hear an issue on it being tight. 'Sounds good, no problem'.

I hope I'm wrong and it runs great for you with no issues for as long as you own it.
I understand what you’re saying, however, I have no reason not to trust them. They have diagnosed/maintained all my bikes and have done a good job on all. They are also very professional, return phone calls and take time to talk with you about the problems. Also, they do the job in a timely manner and are upfront with the costs.

The bike is not leaking from the gasket anymore, and feels like it runs better, healthier. So I’m happy with it. It hasn’t blown up...
PowerDubs_imp said:
bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?


The problem isn't having the right tools- it is exactly what else you said- you have the time to make sure it is done right, double/triple check and take care.

Shops pretty much never do the same quality of a job that a person would do themselves. Doesn't matter if a car, bike, lawnmower, ....building a house, deck, roof, you name it.


bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?

max_imp said:
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.

I think I don't trust that kids work.

Sorry, but wow to both the notes and the 'results'.

There pretty much zero chance you needed 9 valves tightened up.

It is likely the bike is worse off for having that 'work' done.

Problem is you won't hear an issue on it being tight. 'Sounds good, no problem'.

I hope I'm wrong and it runs great for you with no issues for as long as you own it.


The problem isn't having the right tools- it is exactly what else you said- you have the time to make sure it is done right, double/triple check and take care.

Shops pretty much never do the same quality of a job that a person would do themselves. Doesn't matter if a car, bike, lawnmower, ....building a house, deck, roof, you name it.


bertypower_imp said:
Update: I decided to get the Honda dealer to work on my valve clearances. Thought it would be best. Especially if I dropped something into a crevice or whatever the guys at the shop would have the RIGHT tools for the job. I am very handy but I probably would’ve taken a few days with ordering the correct shims and probably misc trips to get materials etc. I’ve never even done an oil change... first time working on the bike was re-sealing the crankcase covers.

Apparently 9 out of the 16 valves were out/close to out of spec. Enough to get 9 new shims. They did give me the mechanics handwritten notes which I’ll post here and I guess update the master thread here in the forum. If you guys can look at it and make sense of it that would be awesome.

Glad I didn’t put it off any longer. Not sure I need to check it every 8000mi. I think 12,000 miles will he fine?

max_imp said:
Thanks Berty i have drawn another list of what i think the technician has done as best as i can decipher it, see what you think;



Interesting that they all were too wide, that may have changed over time but good to know.

cheers.

I think I don't trust that kids work.

Sorry, but wow to both the notes and the 'results'.

There pretty much zero chance you needed 9 valves tightened up.

It is likely the bike is worse off for having that 'work' done.

Problem is you won't hear an issue on it being tight. 'Sounds good, no problem'.

I hope I'm wrong and it runs great for you with no issues for as long as you own it.
I understand what you’re saying, however, I have no reason not to trust them. They have diagnosed/maintained all my bikes and have done a good job on all. They are also very professional, return phone calls and take time to talk with you about the problems. Also, they do the job in a timely manner and are upfront with the costs.

The bike is not leaking from the gasket anymore, and feels like it runs better, healthier. So I’m happy with it. It hasn’t blown up...
 
I think my bike is in that spreadsheet. Had it done somewhere around 19K miles? Was pretty close to factory specs. I take it to a non Honda shop that specializes in performance bikes that are run during track days. Been very happy with them.

If they did everything correctly on your bike you can probably extend your next valve interval pretty safely. Valves being out of spec are not a noted issue with this bike. Wise Drum appears to be at the extreme end of the interval spectrum and his bike is still running strong. I’ll prob have mine looked at again around 40/50K miles.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I think my bike is in that spreadsheet. Had it done somewhere around 19K miles? Was pretty close to factory specs. I take it to a non Honda shop that specializes in performance bikes that are run during track days. Been very happy with them.

If they did everything correctly on your bike you can probably extend your next valve interval pretty safely. Valves being out of spec are not a noted issue with this bike. Wise Drum appears to be at the extreme end of the interval spectrum and his bike is still running strong. I’ll prob have mine looked at again around 40/50K miles.


Which is why I don't trust that the guy above had 9 out of 16 out of spec.....and all in the same direction.

The sloppy notes just backed up my feeling...
 
If a dealer gave me some scrappy paper like that I wouldn't be back, no pride of workmanship whatsoever. This is also a failing in the service manager in the fact he let this information leave his shop like that. If they can't even equip the technician with a printed piece of paper to fill out what does that say about them? I did the clearances on my Triumph this year, luckily shim over bucket, and this is the minimum clearly presented information I would want back from the dealer and I would tell them before the job. Even If they hand handwritten this it would of been OK.





I know for sure the last owner of my Triumph was totally bullshitted on the last valve service and I dread to think how much they charged him for changing the oil and filter and leaving the bike in the back of the workshop for a day pretending to do the work. The bike was in the UK at the time and it was a large, quite well thought of dealer.(not a Triumph dealer) They had the gall to stamp the service book that the valve service was done. 2,000 miles later I open it up and six needed doing, they were never touched. Every owner should ask for the measured clearances and corrective shim sizes used when they drop it off and put the dealer on notice.
 
The owner could request photos of the clearance operation.

Otherwise, yes, it will be honour-based servicing.

Also, there are usually indicators demonstrating, for example, the head was removed. If the head was removed, then very likely the clearances were at least inspected.
 
Have had mine checked 3 times about about 12K mile intervals. Cost ranged from $600-$800 dollars each time. All done at reputable dealers. Last time was a fubar result at Motoworld in San Diego area (I got "made-up" valve clearance values reported back to me) . Only one reputable dealer I would trust now and they are backed up from last Feb 2020 because lack of qualified mechanics. Just started doing the 4th check myself last night (Thu); hope to be done by end of day (Sat). Its my first time so I am going slow. Could not have attempted this without all the great how-two knowledge from this forum. Just got off the valve cover this morning. So far this effort has been very educational, plus I can see the shoddy work that Motoworld did at putting everything back together (excessive gasket glue all over the valve cover inside and out, plus improper routing of cables).
 
Excessive glue could break off and get into a oil passage . It is a terrible shame that you can trust so few shops to do an honest job on our bikes. I never mind paying for quality work but none of us like being ripped off. I am more afraid that they screw up things when checking the valves than leaving it a little longer before checking the clearances. Interesting tread Bill and good luck.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Excessive glue could break off and get into a oil passage . It is a terrible shame that you can trust so few shops to do an honest job on our bikes. I never mind paying for quality work but none of us like being ripped off. I am more afraid that they screw up things when checking the valves than leaving it a little longer before checking the clearances. Interesting tread Bill and good luck.
Yeah, I hear ya.

Owner: " ... it didn't make those grinding sounds before the last service work."

Shop: "Well, that must be something else with your bike. Drop it off at the shop and we'll do an assessment and report back to you. Assessment shop charge is 1.5 hours labour plus shop supplies ... "

Shop: "We accept cash, and second borns ... "
 
No-one seems to be truly ‘happy’ with the service they get at dealers or at the very least we are skeptical they did it right. With tolerances so absolutely tiny (I believe +/- 0.03mm) I often wonder if its the actual process of using the feeler gauge that fuels the controversy. It’s very much a subjective task. Is my ‘just right’ the same as yours or would you go ‘no too loose’ for example. Probably, I would expect a main dealer to make more effort with results (a la Tev62) however I could also be very suspicious of a neatly produced document (Billy BS). Given the choice I would prefer to see the scruffy oily notes and speak in person to the technician that did it. They can’t win in a way. I’m fortunate that this dilemma is some time off for me, just out of interest is there anyone on the forum that’s actually had a burnt (exh) valve or had running problems as a result of not getting valve clearances checked? We all know it can happen, but has it?
 
Back
Top