Valve Check/adjustment cost

LiveToRide_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just past the 8k mark so I called the local dealer to get a quote on the valve adjustment. $320 is what they told me. Seems a bit steep to me. How much have you paid for this service?
 
I paid more for my 8K service in Glendale Ca. But that was with oil change and everything else on top of it. Doesn't seem too bad depending on where in Ca you are.
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
I just past the 8k mark so I called the local dealer to get a quote on the valve adjustment. $320 is what they told me. Seems a bit steep to me. How much have you paid for this service?
4 hours @ $85.00/hr. at our shop.
 
should be 2 separate prices
1 to "check" valve clearance, if all in spec, quicker job no cam removal.
2 to check AND if needed, adjust which requires cam removal to add shims
and if you search this forum there are plenty people who are going many more miles before a check and still find them all within tolerance.
The service manager at my shop said these will hardly ever need adjusting...so wait. I may have mine checked at 12500 miles when I have the new rear tire put on....maybe.
 
I have more that 31,000 kms on my bike. The valve clearances have been checked twice and have been within spec.
 
31,000 kms= approx 20,000 miles
 
The service plan in my Honda Service Manual suggests check of valves every 12,000 km, as part of the 12,000 km service. For sure, if everything is in range, no adjustment is needed at all, no big deal.

I don't think, there is a fat chance, that there is really adjustment necessary with these bucket tappet. However, when they wore out, they get more tight, not loose. That's bad and you wouldn't hear it. If it's too tight, the valve doesn't close anymore and gets burned very quickly.

I don't think, it's really an issue, but get it checked is quite easy and better safe than sorry.
 
Honestly $320 bucks doesn't seem like much since my buddy just dropped $1400 on his goldwing's valve check, oil change, and air filter.
 
I paid $446.88 for mine in July while my bike was laid up for the accident repairs, so $320.00 sounds like a deal to me.
 
Two ways to check valve clearance without opening the motor; If it starts with difficulty. If it runs rough near redline. A friend with a Triumph Bonneville did not have to touch his valves til 50,000 and again at 100,000 and he crossed the country many times and did not baby it.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
Two ways to check valve clearance without opening the motor; If it starts with difficulty. If it runs rough near redline. A friend with a Triumph Bonneville did not have to touch his valves til 50,000 and again at 100,000 and he crossed the country many times and did not baby it.
...or use a crystal ball?

scnr :beerchug:
 
Definitely get you valves checked at least. Tight valves are worse then loose valves. Not hard to do the check yourself
 
xNE0x_imp said:
Honestly $320 bucks doesn't seem like much since my buddy just dropped $1400 on his goldwing's valve check, oil change, and air filter.
in a similar vein, $200 to do just the valve check and 3 valves out of 4 on my CBR250..
There are only 4 valves AND the cams don't need to come out to change the shims.

Worth every penny after I tried to adjust them myself and knew when defeat was immenant... Like the mechanic said: "you need to be really careful when you get in there and swap out the shims"
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have more that 31,000 kms on my bike. The valve clearances have been checked twice and have been within spec.
Same here. I have just under 27,000 miles (43,000 kms) on mine. I've checked them twice (8,000 miles and 24,000 miles) and they were the same both times and well within spec.
 
sanoke_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I have more that 31,000 kms on my bike. The valve clearances have been checked twice and have been within spec.
Same here. I have just under 27,000 miles (43,000 kms) on mine. I've checked them twice (8,000 miles and 24,000 miles) and they were the same both times and well within spec.
Same here. I have just under 27,000 miles (43,000 kms) on mine. I've checked them twice (8,000 miles and 24,000 miles) and they were the same both times and well within spec.
Pretty sure Pterodactyl would report the same result for his 42,000 + kms.
 
I checked at 8,000 and 16,000mi and in spec and consistent both times. $320 for a check sounds fair, if the mechanic is qualified and trustworthy. It's not a hard job (the check), but it is involved and time-consuming. There's a lot of equipment between the tank and the top of the engine that needs to be carefully dealt with.
 
Back
Top