Valve Adjustment

RUSS1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just wondering if anyone has attempted a valve adjustment yet. Going by the parts fisce on the 2013 model it shows the shim being under the bucket which would mean the cams need to be removed. If anyone can confirm this would be apprieciated.
 
Yep,

Right in the service manual. Cams have to come out to adjust the valves. Can stay in to check them.
 
The good thing is--My service manager, a long time Honda mech. says that shim under bucket has historically been very reliable and adjustment is not needed very often. Of course, most of us haven't put enough miles on the bike to need it checked yet. One member posted that his was done recently and all was well. Lets hope all of us have that experience.
 
I'm actually climbing up on 15,000 miles soon. I had the check done at 9,000 miles and the guy said it was well within spec so I'll have it done again probably somewhere around 18,000 and take it from there.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The good thing is--My service manager, a long time Honda mech. says that shim under bucket has historically been very reliable and adjustment is not needed very often. Of course, most of us haven't put enough miles on the bike to need it checked yet. One member posted that his was done recently and all was well. Lets hope all of us have that experience.
+1 to that, but the shim-under-bucket doesn't really have much to do with the adjustment interval. It's very solid & robust. Adjusting shim under bucket valves is more work than other designs, but it's more robust and the tolerances remain tighter over the long run.
Screw-locknut adjusters are much easier and quicker to adjust, but after a few 10,000s, they get a little looser and sloppier than shim-under-bucket.
 
Thnks guys!

I knew someone with more mileage and knowledge would chime in.

I'm actually more familiar with 2-stroke outboards and for some reason they never need the valves adjusted :rolleyes:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Thnks guys!

I knew someone with more mileage and knowledge would chime in.

I'm actually more familiar with 2-stroke outboards and for some reason they never need the valves adjusted :rolleyes:
:rofl:
Love the 2 strokes. That's my excuse for driving a Prius, besides the MPG's.
 
I may try to go at least 10K miles before I ask Honda dealer to check/adjust, maybe longer. Is very pricey, but at same time don't want to damage the engine either...sounds like Randy will have gone 18K miles before adjustment may be needed.
 
Checking clearances on the CB should be easy with no fairing panels to remove. My own guess is that most bikes will not need actual adjustment for at least 30K miles. I will check mine at 10K.
 
It might be only a small percent of the bikes that need clearance adjustment at the 8k maintenance interval check requirement. But if yours is one of that small percentage, its 100% for you.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yep,

Right in the service manual. Cams have to come out to adjust the valves. Can stay in to check them.
Do you have to remove the cam sprocket to remove the cam, or can you loosen the chain tension and slip the cam out without removing the sprocket? My VFR has gear-driven cams that make servicing the valves so much easier, but I won't mention how much time it take me to remove all of the plastic just to get at them.
 
Yes, the sprockets come off during cam removal. And a note says to use a wire to suspend the chain so it doesn't fall into the crankcase.

For me personally, checking them is easy enough, but for adjusting, I'll most likely pay the dealer.
 
Back
Top