Valve Adjustment Intervals

CBRider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been reading the thread on observed valve clearance and noticed that many have started checking valve clearance at around 8,000 miles.

When I purchased my new 2017 CB1100 EX the dealer gave me a printed maintenance schedule which they said needed to be done to maintain the factory warranty. That schedule listed the first valve check at 8,000 miles. However, my 2017 owners manual (I haven't ordered the service manual yet) shows the first valve check at 12,000 miles.

Did the earlier year models have 8,000 mile intervals on the check? I normally do my own maintenance anyway, but I was wondering if the dealer is just trying to drum up some extra work for their shop.
 
Yes, previous models tecommended 8,000 mile intervals

Either Honda realized that was too soon and/or is now using harder steel.
 
It sounds like your dealer printed out a maintenance schedule for CB1100s prior to '17. For '13 and '14 imported to the U.S. the interval is 8k. For year '17 it's 12k--as you mentioned your owner's manual states that and so does the the factory service manual, which I have.

In other threads, members here have speculated that the change from 8k to 12k was likely based on the fact that it seemed no bikes needed an actual adjustment at 8k. More than a few members have said their bikes didn't need any adjusting at 16k or even 24k.
 
pdedse_imp said:
It sounds like your dealer printed out a maintenance schedule for CB1100s prior to '17. For '13 and '14 imported to the U.S. the interval is 8k. For year '17 it's 12k--as you mentioned your owner's manual states that and so does the the factory service manual, which I have.

In other threads, members here have speculated that the change from 8k to 12k was likely based on the fact that it seemed no bikes needed an actual adjustment at 8k. More than a few members have said their bikes didn't need any adjusting at 16k or even 24k.
My 2016 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 DOHC has the same design, although it is only a 6,250 RPM redline, since it is a stroked 3.5.

The motor is known to go 300K miles and Nissan has no valve check or adjustment schedule.

Methinks Honda has been ultra cautious.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
It sounds like your dealer printed out a maintenance schedule for CB1100s prior to '17. For '13 and '14 imported to the U.S. the interval is 8k. For year '17 it's 12k--as you mentioned your owner's manual states that and so does the the factory service manual, which I have.

In other threads, members here have speculated that the change from 8k to 12k was likely based on the fact that it seemed no bikes needed an actual adjustment at 8k. More than a few members have said their bikes didn't need any adjusting at 16k or even 24k.
My 2016 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 DOHC has the same design, although it is only a 6,250 RPM redline, since it is a stroked 3.5.

The motor is known to go 300K miles and Nissan has no valve check or adjustment schedule.

Methinks Honda has been ultra cautious.
Cool! Only 299k miles to go on the CB1100.:biker:
 
So, taking all the info we have, who has the longest interval on valve checks where the valves were still in spec? 25K+ miles?
 
I'm with SDoc. Swami,
well, over cautious and trying to keep their service folks in business...

I don't think anyone has adjusted one yet...
 
I always follow the old adage, " if there is any doubt, follow the manual". The dealer I bought my bike from told me that the 600 mile oil and filter change ( quoted at $148.50 PLUS parts & tax! ) done at the dealer, was necessary to get my engine registered for warranty with Honda. U.S. Honda told me that was absolutely not true, and I could do the oil and filter change myself, no problem, and my engine was already registered with Honda at time of purchase.

On the one hand, your dealer may have mistakenly quoted the earlier service spec, on the other hand it may have been an attempt to get more service revenue. Who knows...as being independently owned, not all Honda dealers are created equal. For instance, if you log into Hondapowersports.com, and search dealers in your area, you will find that not all dealers have Honda trained and certified mechanics. The reason for that is two fold, Honda does not require a dealer to have their mechanics trained and certified, and it costs the dealer money to send their mechanics to Honda school.

I also believe in the notion that " if you want something done right, do it yourself", so I do every bit of maintenance myself that I am competent to do. Dont get me wrong here, I have been a Honda motorcycle fan since the early 70s, but some dealers and their mechanics are excellent, and some are not. Follow the manual and you will be fine.
 
I would love to change the oil myself at the 600 mile mark. I can easily document it as suggested. But the service manual also calls for certain inspections at that point. What would not having them done by an authorized Honda mechanic do to the warranty?
 
Nothing.

They can't deny any warranty unless whatever failed is directly associated with neglect or modification specifically related to said component.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I would love to change the oil myself at the 600 mile mark. I can easily document it as suggested. But the service manual also calls for certain inspections at that point. What would not having them done by an authorized Honda mechanic do to the warranty?
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
 
Always a good idea at first service to check chain tension, tire pressures, check fluid levels (rear brake mc is hidden under the seat) operation of switches, that all lights are working properly, throttle free play is in spec and just generally throw a wrench on various nuts and bolts to make sure nothing is loose, particularly battery, front axle etc .. you know, just a general check over

btw a 600 mile service at the shop would probably be a oil and filter change, check chain tension and tire pressures. That would be about it.
 
Agree 100% with the Ferrets good advice. Bear in mind that many of these items really should be frequently checked not just at warranty service intervals, but also on a regular basis as a pre ride check list. In particular, I check tire pressure every 10 days or so, lights, horn, clutch and front brake fluid levels at the sight glasses, and oil level at the sight glass after warm up. Chain maybe once a month after initial stretch/break in, and proper adjustment.
 
2017EX_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I would love to change the oil myself at the 600 mile mark. I can easily document it as suggested. But the service manual also calls for certain inspections at that point. What would not having them done by an authorized Honda mechanic do to the warranty?
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
Had to get home from work to check the manual. This is for the 2014 at 600 miles. The schedule calls for inspection of engine idle speed, brake system, nuts bolts and fasteners & steering head bearings and of course changing the oil. I was just wondering if Honda is ok with the owner making those inspections instead of an authorized mechanic for warranty purposes.

Most of these inspections they list as Intermediate, they recommend service by dealer but you can do it if mechanically skilled and have the right tools. The steering head bearings they list as technical and should be done by the dealer.
 
The answer is yes. Been US law for a long time. Magnuson-Moss act: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Most of us here have done our own maintenance since day one. Just keep receipts for the oil and filter.

If the steering head bearing need adjustment (haven’t seen ANY reports of it), well it might be best for most to use the dealer for that. Its a tad involved, but not rocket science.
 
Yea, that's not something I would not try on my own but I'm sure if there was a problem there it would be pretty evident.

I'm no mechanic but that being said I've turned more wrenches than the average guy, just not on bikes. I will say the first thing I thought to myself when I saw this bike was "Look at that, the oil filters right in the front there, easy to get to".
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I would love to change the oil myself at the 600 mile mark. I can easily document it as suggested. But the service manual also calls for certain inspections at that point. What would not having them done by an authorized Honda mechanic do to the warranty?
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
Had to get home from work to check the manual. This is for the 2014 at 600 miles. The schedule calls for inspection of engine idle speed, brake system, nuts bolts and fasteners & steering head bearings and of course changing the oil. I was just wondering if Honda is ok with the owner making those inspections instead of an authorized mechanic for warranty purposes.

Most of these inspections they list as Intermediate, they recommend service by dealer but you can do it if mechanically skilled and have the right tools. The steering head bearings they list as technical and should be done by the dealer.
I dont know what other inspections your 2014 manual calls for at the 600 mile mark, but the manual for my 2017 only calls for an oil and filter change. Off hand, the only thing I can think of at 600 miles that probably should be checked might be chain slack and you should be able to check and adjust that if necessary yourself.
Had to get home from work to check the manual. This is for the 2014 at 600 miles. The schedule calls for inspection of engine idle speed, brake system, nuts bolts and fasteners & steering head bearings and of course changing the oil. I was just wondering if Honda is ok with the owner making those inspections instead of an authorized mechanic for warranty purposes.

Most of these inspections they list as Intermediate, they recommend service by dealer but you can do it if mechanically skilled and have the right tools. The steering head bearings they list as technical and should be done by the dealer.
Hmmm, lots of items eliminated between 2014 and 2017 for warranty maintenance. Personally I would not want to mess with the steering head bearings, and I am guessing it may be a torque check. The rest of the stuff on the list is pretty simple and would not take much shop time, so if you did the oil, filter, and crush washer change yourself, you would probably still save a fair amount of time and dough. BTW, Happy Birthday!
 
DaSwami_imp said:
So, taking all the info we have, who has the longest interval on valve checks where the valves were still in spec? 25K+ miles?
DaSwami,

My memory is far from perfect, but I recall only two reports of valve adjustments, both made by dealers and both in early in the bike's life in circumstances the owners regarded as dodgy. We've three members I know of with over 100,000 kms on their bikes and no report of problems.

As I think I've mentioned I've got 86,000 kms on my CB and have had 5 checks—I didn't worry about the 6th at 72,000 kms. I've had no problems.
 
Cormanus, that is awesome to hear, and a testament to the quality of the valvetrain and the valve seats that Honda put into this thing. The best valve adjustment interval is the one you practically never have to do!
 
Back
Top