Using Nolan N104 with helmet lock

Destindoc_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I ride with a Nolan N104, it doesn't have D rings and trying to lock the helmet using the helmet lock is rather difficult trying to fit the strap over the lock. Anyone have a Nolan and better solution?
 
Yes I use a helmet guardian on my bikes, although it still requires a d ring to operate.

Most Honda dealers will carry a little gizmo most Goldwing buyers use which looks like a chrome plated T. The long end of the T has a hole in it which goes onto a motorcycles helmet holder. I use one on the CB now, since my helmet guardian locked up due to winter salt corrosion lol. You stick it thru a D ring for extra space. PErhaps that would slide thru the little loop on your d ring- less helmet. Since its going thru a loop of nylon it wouldnt be as secure as thru a metal D ring however. THe NC 700 and CB 500X also come with a wire with a loop on each end for this purpose.

My buddy carries a long thin cable lock and locks his thru the chin bar of his full face helmet to his luggage rack
 
I use a long rubber coated cable bicycle lock that I pass through the chin bars (until recently my wife was usually with me) and secure to either the luggage rack (if attached) or more commonly the handlebar as this enables me to prop each helmet on the mirrors.

This has been my method since '03 and haven't lost a helmet yet.
 
I have that Helmet Guardian too and made a "T" you mention for when I wore my Nolan.
You can get those T's online, but I fashioned one out of a piece of thin sheet metal and it worked fine.
 
In 1972 my helmet, locked onto the bik,e was stolen. The thief cut the strap leaving me with a "D" ring and two inches of strap.

Since then I have figured if someone needs a helmet so badly as to steal one, It might as well be useful to them. I have been hanging my helmet on the grip or mirror ever since and not once has one gone missing.

I suppose it comes back to "locks keep honest people honest". The lock may stop someone who is contemplating, but not fully committed to, acquiring a helmet by unsavory means.

Thieves truly are 'pond scum'.
Jim
 
Ferret says some Hondas come with a separate cable, a length of wire with a loop on both ends and a rubber sheeting, and in fact, any Honda that doesn't have a dedicated helmet lock will come with it. Here's the part number and what it looks like. 77236-KAZ-780

Put it around your chinbar, put one loop through the other and feed it into your seat lock. (On bikes wiithout a lock, you take the seat off, loop it over a hook or peg, and lock the seat down on it). If you have an open-face helmet, you're on your own. It retails for $7.15, but some dealers have them just floating around.
 
I have, perhaps, a little different prospective on the subject. This may be partially due to where I live, Texas. Over the years, I have seen as Tinboatcapt pointed out, instances of helmets stolen by cutting the strap, but that was primarily years ago. I have seen helmets blown off their perch on the bike seat and hit the ground. Throw into the mix that in 29 years of Police work, I never saw a report of a helmet being stolen off a bike. For me an added consideration is that when using a helmet lock on a bike, whatever grease, road grime, etc. on the bike can transfer onto the helmet. Then too, many of the owners manuals for various helmets caution against even putting them on a mirror like we used to do back in the day. I think actually, a tank bag and contents, and/or a bag and contents strapped onto a tail rack, would be far more attractive to a potential thief than a helmet.

The sun in Texas is brutal for many months out of the year, which is not good for the helmet materials longevity. Then too, it is not pleasant to put on a hot helmet that has been baking in the sun for any length of time. Up to recently, all my helmets had D rings, but my new Shoei Neotec II has a stainless micro ratchet ( I like it a lot ). Whether D ring or micro ratchet, I always fasten the strap after getting off my bike, use the strap as a carry handle, and carry my helmet with me wherever I am going off the bike.

Personally, what I would LOVE to see, would be bike manufacturers changing the helmet lock on the frame to a factory universal trickle/tender battery charger plug in point, with a waterproof rubber cover. I am certainly not disparaging those that like the helmet lock, it is just a matter of what works best for me.
 
Theft isn't the only problem.
Once my N102 blew off the bike in a flash thunderstorm while I was away from the bike. When I had returned, after the storm passed, some kind soul had snapped the micro fastener and hung the helmet from the foot rest. I choose to think the good Samaritan was doing it out of consideration. However, my first reaction after pouring two inches of rain and hail out of the 'bucket' was less charitable. Putting that helmet on was not pleasant. It felt like an hour to warm the helmet, and a day to dry it.
I still leave my helmet on the bike.
I guess I haven't learned that lesson.
:dodgy:
jim
 
Thread starter
I appreciate your responses.... I have a Goldwing as well and do have the Nolan T bar extension too, I do occasionally use it on the GW. I believe the hole in it is too small for the CB helmet lock, but I haven't looked. If it is too small, I thought about trimming down the helmet lock metal part that moves up and down just enough for the T bar to work. I'll have to look at that. I do want to be able to use the CB helmet lock.

And, I do have the double wire loop with the rubber coating gizmo... I also have a CBR 1000 RR. It came with that bike, but I've never used it. I just carry the Arai I wear with that bike with me if needed. Typically, I'm out for just a ride on this bike, don't even really take the Arai helmet off unless getting gas etc. And, honestly, I know how this wire connects under the rear seat on the CBR but I never thought about "how" it's suppose to be done.... and wrapping it around the chin bar never occurred to me...... duh....

So, I could wrap this around my chin bar on the Nolan and use the CB lock... I think you guys just solved my problem.

Honda should make this lock as a pin like so many other bikes are, not a flat wide piece of metal... then the T bar extension would work, just as it does on a GW.
 
There's actually a second helmet lock on the CB1100. It's on the right hand side of the bike under the seat.
 
I use the T bar extension on my CB no issues
 
Cormanus_imp said:
There's actually a second helmet lock on the CB1100. It's on the right hand side of the bike under the seat.
Good catch Cormanus. I suppose that steel rod loop welded to the frame is for the second helmet in a two up riding scenario. I completely missed it, both visually, and if it is mentioned in the owners manual, must have skimmed over it.
 
Here's my helmet with the T bar

354410e8e761743c056153a400981ada.jpg
 
Not a bad plan Ferret. Soothing like that (or a steel loop) would make it way easier to attach a micro ratchet helmet.
 
His helmet gets wet.
 
It gets wet lol, but it dries out again. Actually that has only happened one time. On a Fall Men's Trip down the Blue Ridge Pkwy we stopped at Mt Washington and after hanging our helmets on our bikes, we hiked up to the observation deck. While up there, the skies opened up and a toad strangler commenced. We ran to the bikes but the helmets were just fish bowls lol. We poured them out, dried them out as best we could with the micro fiber towels we carry for drying seats and cleaning faceshields and continued on. Later in the hotel rooms we used hair dryers to finish drying them out.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I use the T bar extension on my CB no issues
Well, I stand corrected and owe Honda an apology... I did try my Nolan T bar on the helmet lock and it does fit. I was surprised, I thought sure the hole would be too small for the wide metal clasp, but it's not.... So, problem solved.
 
Back
Top