Used 2013 for $5,500 vs new 2014 for $7,000

Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
thanks in part to the japanese aftermarket, and also in part to the apparent compatability of many other UJM style parts from other manufacturers, the CB11 has oodles and oodles of bolt-on farkle out there.

I myself have already added loads of bits of fun rubber and metal here and there, and i have a huge laundry list that's going to keep me spending money for at least a couple years. I even just purchased a new tail cowl from another user on here to farkle-up the rear end of mine. the CB11 is one of those bikes that can become a one-of-a-kind in a skinny minute.

It's true that you will have a much easier time matching black with black, but you've got to decide whether you like that blacked out engine crank case and cylinders. it's not for everybody.
My son really likes the blacked out look.
 
Thread starter
I have read some review and the more I read, the more I think this is the long-term bike I have been looking for. So much so, that I am considering a new 2017 / 2018. It seems there have been some improvements / refinements that might appeal to me. And, if it is a long-term bike, a few thousand extra is worth it to get what I want.

Any thoughts on the value of the changes for the new ones vs the older ones?

Based on this, I might wait a bit and look for a good deal on a 2017.

Or I may get the 2013, ride it for a while as an extended test ride and then trade it in for a 2017.

Or, there is a 2014 Deluxe with 1,800 miles on it I can get for about $7,500 out the door. New 2014 standard vs used 2014 with 1,800 miles on it? Opinions?

I think I still like the red tank and more classic look better. But I have not seen the black version yet. Hopefully today, if I can get my work done this morning..... Okay, close the forum and get back to work.....
 
I traded my 2013 for a new 2017. I like it as much as the 2013. Sounds like you are already aware of the updates.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
I have read some review and the more I read, the more I think this is the long-term bike I have been looking for. So much so, that I am considering a new 2017 / 2018. It seems there have been some improvements / refinements that might appeal to me. And, if it is a long-term bike, a few thousand extra is worth it to get what I want.

Any thoughts on the value of the changes for the new ones vs the older ones?

Based on this, I might wait a bit and look for a good deal on a 2017.

Or I may get the 2013, ride it for a while as an extended test ride and then trade it in for a 2017.

Or, there is a 2014 Deluxe with 1,800 miles on it I can get for about $7,500 out the door. New 2014 standard vs used 2014 with 1,800 miles on it? Opinions?

I think I still like the red tank and more classic look better. But I have not seen the black version yet. Hopefully today, if I can get my work done this morning..... Okay, close the forum and get back to work.....
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking CB1100 to date. It has the 6 speed transmission, all aluminum motor, and 4-into-2 exhaust system.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Sorg67_imp said:
I have read some review and the more I read, the more I think this is the long-term bike I have been looking for. So much so, that I am considering a new 2017 / 2018. It seems there have been some improvements / refinements that might appeal to me. And, if it is a long-term bike, a few thousand extra is worth it to get what I want.

Any thoughts on the value of the changes for the new ones vs the older ones?

Based on this, I might wait a bit and look for a good deal on a 2017.

Or I may get the 2013, ride it for a while as an extended test ride and then trade it in for a 2017.

Or, there is a 2014 Deluxe with 1,800 miles on it I can get for about $7,500 out the door. New 2014 standard vs used 2014 with 1,800 miles on it? Opinions?

I think I still like the red tank and more classic look better. But I have not seen the black version yet. Hopefully today, if I can get my work done this morning..... Okay, close the forum and get back to work.....
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking CB1100 to date. It has the 6 speed transmission, all aluminum motor, and 4-into-2 exhaust system.
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking CB1100 to date. It has the 6 speed transmission, all aluminum motor, and 4-into-2 exhaust system. Agree with Nortoon on the looks of the 2014 Deluxe! If you can buy that for $7500 out the door, I recommend doing it; that's a very attractive deal.

Functionally, I like my 2017 EX more, and though I had the opportunity all along to buy earlier CB1100s, I did not do so, as they didn't really "do it" for me.

But the 2014 Deluxe does look just right.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Sorg67_imp said:
I have read some review and the more I read, the more I think this is the long-term bike I have been looking for. So much so, that I am considering a new 2017 / 2018. It seems there have been some improvements / refinements that might appeal to me. And, if it is a long-term bike, a few thousand extra is worth it to get what I want.

Any thoughts on the value of the changes for the new ones vs the older ones?

Based on this, I might wait a bit and look for a good deal on a 2017.

Or I may get the 2013, ride it for a while as an extended test ride and then trade it in for a 2017.

Or, there is a 2014 Deluxe with 1,800 miles on it I can get for about $7,500 out the door. New 2014 standard vs used 2014 with 1,800 miles on it? Opinions?

I think I still like the red tank and more classic look better. But I have not seen the black version yet. Hopefully today, if I can get my work done this morning..... Okay, close the forum and get back to work.....
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking CB1100 to date. It has the 6 speed transmission, all aluminum motor, and 4-into-2 exhaust system.
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking CB1100 to date. It has the 6 speed transmission, all aluminum motor, and 4-into-2 exhaust system.
I would buy that Deluxe and put the '17 EX forks and Ikon shocks on it. You get the 6 speed trans, red and the larger tank and even with the suspension upgrades you are still well under the price of a new one.
 
Thread starter
Rode up to look at the 2014 standard in black and a 2017 in red. Really like the 2017 in red. My son likes the 2014 in black. But it is my bike. Waiting to hear about price on the 2017.

Also planning to go look at the 2014 Deluxe in red.
 
I have both the 2014 DLX and the 2017 but to be honest I think that the 2014 is the nicest looking one.
For the money you save you can put the 2017 forks on and buy the Ohlins shocks , build to your weight with chrome springs .
Fastbike Industries can do this for you.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I have both the 2014 DLX and the 2017 but to be honest I think that the 2014 is the nicest looking one.
For the money you save you can put the 2017 forks on and buy the Ohlins shocks , build to your weight with chrome springs .
Fastbike Industries can do this for you.
Thanks - Is the suspension the most meaningful difference?
I am not really sure I even need the improved suspension. But that might be something to improve later. The 2013 with 12K miles is still in play, but I think I like the 2014 Deluxe for $7,500 and 1,800 miles for $7,500 better than the 2013 standard for $5,500.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have both the 2014 DLX and the 2017 but to be honest I think that the 2014 is the nicest looking one.
For the money you save you can put the 2017 forks on and buy the Ohlins shocks , build to your weight with chrome springs .
Fastbike Industries can do this for you.
Thanks - Is the suspension the most meaningful difference?
I am not really sure I even need the improved suspension. But that might be something to improve later. The 2013 with 12K miles is still in play, but I think I like the 2014 Deluxe for $7,500 and 1,800 miles for $7,500 better than the 2013 standard for $5,500.
Thanks - Is the suspension the most meaningful difference?
I am not really sure I even need the improved suspension. But that might be something to improve later. The 2013 with 12K miles is still in play, but I think I like the 2014 Deluxe for $7,500 and 1,800 miles for $7,500 better than the 2013 standard for $5,500.
It depends on the condition of the roads where you live and I suppose your physical condition (ie nagging injuries).

If your roads are fairly decent I would buy the Deluxe, ride it and see if it's good for you. If you need to swap it is a fairly easy job.

I believe the two major changes in 2017 were improved suspension and larger, reshaped tank. And spoke wheels.
 
Thread starter
Since I am riding a 1992 Harley Softail now, I think the suspension of any of them would be an improvement.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
Since I am riding a 1992 Harley Softail now, I think the suspension of any of them would be an improvement.
LOL!

I thought both Sportsters were comfortable, typically for about 250 miles a day. My 2012 Triumph (after stock seat replaced with a touring seat) was good for about 500 mile days. My 2016 Moto Guzzi was ridden for close to 500 miles a day, but the rear suspension was jarring, especially on old Route 66. Worst was Highway 89, south from Ash Fork to Chino Valley.

I took the same route on my 2014 CB1100 standard and what an improvement!

So, plus one on your comment.
 
I wish I could contribute here, as I have lots of experience with the 2014 Std and have just purchased a 2017 Ex that I have yet to take a maiden voyage on.

The 2014 DLX is just that, a deluxe version of the standard.

The 2017 EX is another animal altogether...is it worth the $$ in upgrades? I will find out soon.
 
'DaSwami Wrote:The 2017 EX is another animal altogether...is it worth the $$ in upgrades?

Same animal, darn near biological twins ....just wearing different outfits.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I am not a super experienced or spirited rider so I am sure I won't notice too much difference in the suspension.

The best deal may be on the 2014 Deluxe. That is 2 hours away though. A long schlep unless I am really sure that is the one.
DaSwami_imp said:
I wish I could contribute here, as I have lots of experience with the 2014 Std and have just purchased a 2017 Ex that I have yet to take a maiden voyage on.

The 2014 DLX is just that, a deluxe version of the standard.

The 2017 EX is another animal altogether...is it worth the $$ in upgrades? I will find out soon.
Yes, that is my understanding. But a big attraction for me is the old school look. The blacked out 2014 standard is cool looking. My son likes it better. It is sort of a modern cool retro look. But the deluxe is the look that I am attracted to. That is old school all the way.
 
This. Right here. First because it answers one of your your questions. The black 2014 is out because it isn’t retro enough. The 2017 is probably out because it isn’t quite as retro as either the 2014 DLX or the 2013 standard. So ... is having 6 gears the deal breaker? If so, it’s the 2014 DLX. Is having only one pipe the deal breaker? If so it’s the 2013.

And second because it highlights a factor you should ignore. The resale value. Almost no motorcycle is going to turn a buck. You’re going to lose dough. If you can’t afford to lose it, you probably can’t afford the bike. Based on your other musings on whether to buy a 2013, 2014 oe 2017, money is probably not a key issue. So forget it, at least the depreciation. As I say, you’re going to lose dough. At this stage and into the foreseeable future, these bikes have no resale value.

The truth is that no-one but you can make this decision. Search your heart and be honest about which one you most want to look at and ride and then buy it. I’m sorry, we’ve all got a view, but none of us can really help you.

Buy the way, what is a ‘Honda fee’? Thanks a new one to me.
 
If a motorbike runs well, who can weigh the pure joy it is able to spread for the owner in money. Motorbikes are for me foremost an emotional thing to warm my soul. I always bought and will buy motorbikes I feel attracted to and follow my heart after doing some research of how they will behave after I decide to ride them.

If I could not afford riding a motorbike I would not even have a single one. In the sense of heartwarming they are all worth the money and I'll keep and take care of them, not worrying about the money they are going to bring to the table, if I would sell them, as much as it would be.

Wisedrum
 
My sense on all of this is that, unless you are seriously constrained by finances, you should buy the precise CB ( or any bike) that makes your heart flutter. You are really talking a rounding error over time in terms of $$$, particularly if the CB is a keeper. And the CB is not a utility knife...it's a passion play.

While I've sold mine on, I never once second guessed my choice of the '13 and that beautiful red tank and 4 into 1 exhaust. Never aspired to another CB. And while I took a small bath on selling it, the market is what it is.
 
Back
Top