Used 2013 for $5,500 vs new 2014 for $7,000

Sorg67_imp said:
FLYTYM_imp said:
I just got my new 2014 and I’m not concerned one bit about the bike sitting in a crate for the last four years. I am very disappointed in the dealer prep but that’s a different story.
What is the story on the dealer prep? I would like to be aware of what can go wrong so I can try to avoid such problems.
What is the story on the dealer prep? I would like to be aware of what can go wrong so I can try to avoid such problems.
From what I can tell it wasn’t prepped at all. Muddy water slung up under the rear fender and all over the swing arm,water spots in some places,fork oil on one fork seal and the fork tube and the worst part is the headlight bracket has got some rust spots on it. This bike only had 1 mile on it so I know it wasn’t ridin other than than that. One thing I’m positive about is this bike in that condition would not have been on the showroom floor in that condition. Now to be fair here the bike was shipped from Mo to Ca so some dust is to be expected but to be this filthy,not even close. I do love the bike,can’t remember when was the last time I bought something likened his that got me going just didn’t expect to have to clean off fork oil from the front end. I’m going to get in touch with the dealership and ask them what exactly I paid for in regards to them prepping the bike. And as far as buying a used opposed to new,new in a heart beat. I can’t imagine anybody buy a used CB1100 when a new can be bought at half price.
 
Thread starter
FLYTYM_imp said:
Sorg67_imp said:
FLYTYM_imp said:
I just got my new 2014 and I’m not concerned one bit about the bike sitting in a crate for the last four years. I am very disappointed in the dealer prep but that’s a different story.
What is the story on the dealer prep? I would like to be aware of what can go wrong so I can try to avoid such problems.
What is the story on the dealer prep? I would like to be aware of what can go wrong so I can try to avoid such problems.
From what I can tell it wasn’t prepped at all. Muddy water slung up under the rear fender and all over the swing arm,water spots in some places,fork oil on one fork seal and the fork tube and the worst part is the headlight bracket has got some rust spots on it. This bike only had 1 mile on it so I know it wasn’t ridin other than than that. One thing I’m positive about is this bike in that condition would not have been on the showroom floor in that condition. Now to be fair here the bike was shipped from Mo to Ca so some dust is to be expected but to be this filthy,not even close. I do love the bike,can’t remember when was the last time I bought something likened his that got me going just didn’t expect to have to clean off fork oil from the front end. I’m going to get in touch with the dealership and ask them what exactly I paid for in regards to them prepping the bike. And as far as buying a used opposed to new,new in a heart beat. I can’t imagine anybody buy a used CB1100 when a new can be bought at half price.
There is always a price at which either could be the better deal. I am thinking there is about a $2,500 value difference between the 2013 with 12K miles and the 2014 new with warranty.

I am going to contact the dealers with the new and see what the out the door price is, then offer the dealer with the used 2013 $2,500 to $3,000 less. If they take my offer, buy the used 2013, if they do not (I do not think they will) then go buy the new one.
 
It really comes down to your own preferences. For me, these bikes are all about the looks and to my eyes there is no better looking CB1100 than the '13 model that was offered here in the States. I can afford to take such a view because at the end of the day I don't like interstates. I much prefer riding the backroads instead. I don't have a need for a sixth gear and after the '13 model the styling of these bikes has been a bit of a miss for me personally.

If I were going to be spending a lot of time out on the interstate, then I'd have a different set of requirements and I'd be comparing the CB with a lot of other bikes and not just with other CBs. But I don't and that's probably why I'm still plenty happy with my CB1100. If something happened to my 2013 model, then I'd be looking for another one just like it to replace it with.
 
Thread starter
Great comment Guth. Thanks! I spend very little time on the highway too. And I do like the look of the 2013 more than the 2014.

I am trying to be smart about the purchase. But you are right, if I was really looking for performance per dollar, it would not be a CB1100. There are plenty of more modern designs that handle better, get better mileage, etc. But they do not look as cool.

And since I have several bikes, none of them get more than a few thousand miles a year. So the mileage is not that big a deal.

Somebody commented on the valve clearance check. Anybody know when that is due? I looked on line but could not find a pdf copy of the owners manual. Anybody know where I could get one?

Is 12K a lot of mileage for a 2013? Any particular maintenance or condition issues I should consider?
 
Valve inspection is every 8000 miles. Any bike with only 12,000 miles, if properly maintained, is barely broken in. Ask again in another 100,000 miles!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the valve clearance info.

LongRanger_imp said:
Valve inspection is every 8000 miles. Any bike with only 12,000 miles, if properly maintained, is barely broken in. Ask again in another 100,000 miles!
"If" properly maintained is the question. That is the risk in buying a used bike. How much of a discount do you need to take the risk?
 
That's for the buyer to assess. I guess in this case it's $1500. Ask for the service records. If they don't have them, you could hire a mechanic to look at the bike and render a judgment, but now you're eating into that $1500. These bikes seem to be very reliable, however, so that should give you a lot of comfort. My '14 had 8500 miles when I bought it. No service history but I've had zero issues with it.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
That's for the buyer to assess. I guess in this case it's $1500. Ask for the service records. If they don't have them, you could hire a mechanic to look at the bike and render a judgment, but now you're eating into that $1500. These bikes seem to be very reliable, however, so that should give you a lot of comfort. My '14 had 8500 miles when I bought it. No service history but I've had zero issues with it.
I will, thanks.

LongRanger_imp said:
That's for the buyer to assess. I guess in this case it's $1500. Ask for the service records. If they don't have them, you could hire a mechanic to look at the bike and render a judgment, but now you're eating into that $1500. These bikes seem to be very reliable, however, so that should give you a lot of comfort. My '14 had 8500 miles when I bought it. No service history but I've had zero issues with it.
Agreed - I am thinking I would want a $2,500 difference to give me room to have a mechanic look at it or cover whatever issue I may run into.

LongRanger_imp said:
That's for the buyer to assess. I guess in this case it's $1500. Ask for the service records. If they don't have them, you could hire a mechanic to look at the bike and render a judgment, but now you're eating into that $1500. These bikes seem to be very reliable, however, so that should give you a lot of comfort. My '14 had 8500 miles when I bought it. No service history but I've had zero issues with it.
Yes, that does give me comfort.

I think I am going to offer something in the $4,500 range, OTD. I figure they probably took it in trade and effectively paid $2,000 to $2,500 for it, put new tires and serviced it so maybe have $2,500 to $3,000 in it. If I offer $4,500 OTD, $500 ish goes to tax, title and tags so they get $4,000 and make $1,000 on the deal.

Or they wait and maybe the market gets softer as the discounts on the new 2014s drive used prices down.

And since I already have four motorcycles in the garage, I am in no rush to make a deal.
 
I traded in my 2013 CB1100 ABS with 52K miles for a 2017 EX with 0 miles... Oil changes, 2x Chain and sprocket replacements, 3x sets of tires, and one valve check at 48K (still in spec) were the vast majority of the maintenance required. I would not hesitate to buy one with 12K again. I'd even buy my old one back with 52K knowing the maintenance history was good if I had the room.
 
Thread starter
I got a quote on the new 2014 $5,999 plus dealer prep $6,878. Plus tax, tag and title is about $7,500. So the difference between the 2013 with 12K miles and the new 2014 is about $2K. At that difference, I am torn. I like the 2013 better and it is closer....
 
Sorg67_imp said:
I got a quote on the new 2014 $5,999 plus dealer prep $6,878. Plus tax, tag and title is about $7,500. So the difference between the 2013 with 12K miles and the new 2014 is about $2K. At that difference, I am torn. I like the 2013 better and it is closer....
That's all you need to know.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Sorg67_imp said:
I got a quote on the new 2014 $5,999 plus dealer prep $6,878. Plus tax, tag and title is about $7,500. So the difference between the 2013 with 12K miles and the new 2014 is about $2K. At that difference, I am torn. I like the 2013 better and it is closer....
That's all you need to know.
That's all you need to know.
We like to make life complicated, but sometime, perhaps most of the time it is really that simple.
 
Well, if the '13 model appeals to you then you could always offer them less and see how much they might be willing to come down. If they aren't willing to come down, you sure don't have to buy the motorcycle. You get to choose, which is a nice position to be in. No matter the version, any CB1100 is going to be a really nice motorcycle and one that you'll likely enjoy owning. Good luck!
 
Buy what you like better. 12k is nothing and by the nature of these bikes, it’s hard to believe the previous owner would have been some kid that didn’t take care of his maintenance. If you were looking at an R1 or similar, then I would feel differently.

All that said, I bought a ‘14 black std a few months ago for 7k out the door. A lot of motorcycle for the price, with a one year warranty and me to do the break ins and first services. It was a no brainer for me, but I much prefer the black ‘14 look over the ‘13.
 
Go in to the dealer with the 2013 and offer $4500 cash out the door. If they bite, you have a decent deal.
 
This is just me talking but....Personally, if it was my forever bike, i'd pay $1500 for 12000 miles. If you don't see yourself owning this bike forever, and eventually switching off to something different, then you're better off buying used in cash for sure.
 
Thread starter
All good advice. For the 2014, I have an out the door price of $7,325 forty miles away and $7,450 a hundred twenty miles away. And then there is the 2013 for $5,500 OTD.

The OTD prices on all include dealer fee, tax, tag and title so they are all apples to apples.

I am hoping this is a forever bike. I am thinking of farkling it out for light touring with saddle bags, top case and wind screen. But have it all easily removeable so that I could get back to the clean UJM look. Is there easy after market stuff available to set the bike up like this?

I am at least going to look at the 2014. I say I like the 2013 better, but I have never looked at the 2014. I might like it just as much or more.

And, if I am going to add luggage, it will be easier to match black than red.
 
thanks in part to the japanese aftermarket, and also in part to the apparent compatability of many other UJM style parts from other manufacturers, the CB11 has oodles and oodles of bolt-on farkle out there.

I myself have already added loads of bits of fun rubber and metal here and there, and i have a huge laundry list that's going to keep me spending money for at least a couple years. I even just purchased a new tail cowl from another user on here to farkle-up the rear end of mine. the CB11 is one of those bikes that can become a one-of-a-kind in a skinny minute.

It's true that you will have a much easier time matching black with black, but you've got to decide whether you like that blacked out engine crank case and cylinders. it's not for everybody.
 
Back
Top