Used 2013 for $5,500 vs new 2014 for $7,000

Sorg67_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
There is a 2013 close to me. $5,500 ($5,000 plus $500 tax and tags) out the door 12K miles. There is a new 2014 about 100 miles away. Advertised at $5,999. My guess is that there is a dealer fee in addition to taxes and tags so probably $7,000 or so out the door.

Seems to me that the six speed transmission and "new" is worth an extra $1,500.

I am wondering if there is anything I should worry about with a "new" bike that has been sitting around for 4 years. Here in Florida, we have a lot of humidity so engines sitting around and not being used is not good.

I also understand that new bikes are shipped with protective fluids in the engines. In this state they can be stored for long periods of time without damage. But once they are set up and operational then you want to ride them regularly. So a 2014 that had never been set up and still had the original storage fluids would be considerably better than one that was set up four years ago and has been sitting for a long time.

Do I understand this correctly? Is there anything I can do to determine how long the bike has been set up? Or am I worrying about something that is not an issue.
 
Most likely it will need a new battery, like my in the crate 14 did a year ago.
Everything else on the bike has worked flawlessly, even so it come with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty, so I’d pick the new one.
 
$5500 for a used 2013 with that many miles is too much in today's market, in my opinion. I have a clean 2013 with 10K miles that I will soon be selling (asking no more than $4500) because I'm getting a new leftover 2014. I will be paying $6410 + tax. I'll miss the beautiful red gas tank, but I wanted that 6th gear.

I plan to change the brake fluid and clutch fluid immediately. I also plan to take it a little easy on the tires because they will be a little on the hard side compared to fresh tires. Everything else should be fine, I think.
Mscb1100_imp said:
Most likely it will need a new battery, like my in the crate 14 did a year ago.
Everything else on the bike has worked flawlessly, even so it come with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty, so I’d pick the new one.
Did you buy the battery or did the dealer give you a new one?
 
My wife purchased a 2013 last January in Tampa for $4500. It was garage kept and like new condition. The dealer in Jacksonville advertising the new 2014's is the same dealer that I bought my 2013 from 4 years ago. $5600 for a bike with warranty is a great deal and I would not hesitate. As already mentioned, the original battery might be suspect, otherwise there should be no issues of concern.
 
Thread starter
I prefer the red tank as well. The 2013 has new tires.

Perhaps I will go back and offer a bargain price for the 2013 and go get the 2014 if they say no.

What would be a price you think would be reasonable to offer the local dealer for the 2013? They were asking $5,000 plus dealer fee and taxes, about $6,200 out the door. They came down to $5,500 dropping the dealer fee.

How low would you need to go before you would be willing to take the 2013 vs the 2014.
 
Maybe try for $5k out the door, pointing out what a great deal you can get on a new 2014?

I plan to ask $4500 for mine, but realize I may have to settle for $4000, given the market conditions.
Also, maybe get them to give you an extended honda factory warranty. I did that with the st1300 I bought used.
 
When I got my 2013 the dealer wanted to tack on the typical fees. I held firm and got the fees dropped; only paid the sales tax. I have never paid dealer fees yet on a new bike.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
There is a 2013 close to me. $5,500 ($5,000 plus $500 tax and tags) out the door 12K miles. There is a new 2014 about 100 miles away. Advertised at $5,999. My guess is that there is a dealer fee in addition to taxes and tags so probably $7,000 or so out the door.

Seems to me that the six speed transmission and "new" is worth an extra $1,500.

I am wondering if there is anything I should worry about with a "new" bike that has been sitting around for 4 years. Here in Florida, we have a lot of humidity so engines sitting around and not being used is not good.

I also understand that new bikes are shipped with protective fluids in the engines. In this state they can be stored for long periods of time without damage. But once they are set up and operational then you want to ride them regularly. So a 2014 that had never been set up and still had the original storage fluids would be considerably better than one that was set up four years ago and has been sitting for a long time.

Do I understand this correctly? Is there anything I can do to determine how long the bike has been set up? Or am I worrying about something that is not an issue.


Yes, and the '14 gauges are better as well.

Although I prefer the '13 blinkers and control switchgear.
 
Thread starter
I like the red better than black. But:

1) New
2) Sixth Gear
3) Improved instruments
4) Factory Warranty

Seem to be worth more than $1,500, at least $2,000 maybe $2,500.

However, 2013 has rack and new tires. Maybe better tires than the four year old tires on the 2014s. How long to tires last? I bought a 2015 DRZ 400S in 2015 with 1,900 miles and original tires. I replaced the tires since they were 10 years old even though they had very little wear.

Might go to local dealer and offer $4,500, out the door. He will probably say no, but If I show him the new ones I can get for $5,999, probably plus $1,000 for tax, tag, title, dealer fee is how I get to $7,000, but I have not talked to them yet. Might be more, or might be less and might be able to talk them down to $6,500.

Since I ride mostly around town, the sixth gear may not be a huge deal for me. And if I really like the bike, I might pop for a new new 2018. The 2013 might be an extended test ride for a year or two.
 
Go with the new unit.

Ask for a new battery and she will be fine.

IMO, the 13 is the best looking of the lot, but the warranty and 6th gear are no brainers.

I bought mine right away because I feared Honda would only bring the CB over for a single year since bikes like it are not big sellers in the US.
 
Something else to vector in is the valve-check at 8 or 12.000 miles, has that been done and how would you know?
Not a deal breaker if you do it yourself but if it has to go back to the dealer it may add some extra expense?
Is the dealer able/reliable/closeby for this sort of thing?
Me i like red a lot but that is a personal taste thing but after seeing the 2018 pearl blue tank from samurider.........

Bottom line; can't go wrong either way and a year later the price difference is forgotten.
 
You can buy a red tank and other bodywork from Samurider. But the ‘13 with that mileage is proved too high.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just got my new 2014 and I’m not concerned one bit about the bike sitting in a crate for the last four years. I am very disappointed in the dealer prep but that’s a different story.
 
Thread starter
FLYTYM_imp said:
I just got my new 2014 and I’m not concerned one bit about the bike sitting in a crate for the last four years. I am very disappointed in the dealer prep but that’s a different story.
What is the story on the dealer prep? I would like to be aware of what can go wrong so I can try to avoid such problems.
 
Back
Top