usb/cell phone charger setups.. ?

el duque_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
What are using?

I use my phone as my gps now instead of the dedicated gps I used to have (quit working).

I will need to keep it charged and or charge it on the bike.

any links to a low profile bike unit?

thanks
 
I bought one of these about a year ago Amazon.com
It works great. I just ran it under my tank from the battery hook up under the seat up to the handle bars.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
You have any number of options depending on what kind of connector you want. There is an accessory connector in the headlight shell you can use for switched power (there is also one in the battery area). Or you can wire directly to the battery.

You can get Powerlet outlets or a 2 wire SAE connector like chargers use, or a cigarette type outlet. And then a USB or whatever adapter.

As an example on my ST1300 I have a Powerlet outlet and adapters for a few different things. On my CB I have a 2 wire SAE connector plugged into the headlight shell accessory connector and adapters for that too. The example posted above would work on my CB.

Be aware that unless you buy the connector, pins, and a crimping tool you will either have to tap the wires or dike the connector and splice onto the wires of the accessory connector.
 
Thread starter
chandler_imp said:
I bought one of these about a year ago Amazon.com
It works great. I just ran it under my tank from the battery hook up under the seat up to the handle bars.


2013 Honda CB1100
I like it. how did you rig it up to be secure / look decent? I see now it has a holder of sorts. that should work..

I have a charger sae plug back by the battery but I am planning on using that for a heated vest and gloves.

I'll probably just get another one of those and run it off of that.
 
I put on a Quadlock handlebar mount and the matching connector on my phone case. It's rock solid. I got a portable charger (20,000 mAh) for like $40 on Amazon. I put the charger in my tank bag and run a USB cord to my phone. I've gone two 6-hour riding days with GPS on the whole time. I probably had enough juice for another couple of hours. For the way I ride, I can never see myself not being able to recharge everything after two days. Plus, I can take it with me when I go backpacking. Best thing: No extra wiring needed. Now, if I ever got a heated vest and gloves, then I'll install wiring...
 
Thread starter
interesting option.

If I didn't already have a cell phone mount ..... I'm not a fan of cords.

It'd be good to not have to plug in the vest and gloves but they need cords. I know some are battery powered.... then you gotta charge them.

life is hard... first world problems.
 
el duque_imp said:
chandler_imp said:
I bought one of these about a year ago Amazon.com
It works great. I just ran it under my tank from the battery hook up under the seat up to the handle bars.


2013 Honda CB1100
I like it. how did you rig it up to be secure / look decent? I see now it has a holder of sorts. that should work..

I have a charger sae plug back by the battery but I am planning on using that for a heated vest and gloves.

I'll probably just get another one of those and run it off of that.
I like it. how did you rig it up to be secure / look decent? I see now it has a holder of sorts. that should work..

I have a charger sae plug back by the battery but I am planning on using that for a heated vest and gloves.

I'll probably just get another one of those and run it off of that.

I hooked up the power to the connection for my battery tender under the seat. I then just ran it under the tank. May be a little hard to see in the picture, but I just wedge it between my tank and frame. It has adhesive, so I could attach it more permanently, but it stays in place the way I have it. I hook it up for long rides when I’m using my phone for gps and unhook it when done. Super easy and gets the job done.
117dd742a89a78804b1f974a17f74d70.jpg



2013 Honda CB1100
 
Well, too late, but I have a dual port usb outlet mounted on my bars and it is wired to the plug in the headlight bucket (I may wire it back to the battery at some point, but this was easier. I have a Ram X-mount for my iPhone and my Spot Gen3.
 
Thread starter
hey Chandler,
received parts today.
Did you have to remove the tank to run the wire under it? Looks tight under there. I don't see how on first glance how to do it easily as in not removing the tank.
 
el duque_imp said:
hey Chandler,
received parts today.
Did you have to remove the tank to run the wire under it? Looks tight under there. I don't see how on first glance how to do it easily as in not removing the tank.

I didn’t remove the tank. I just loosened the bolt and lifted it to get the cord passed. I used a long rod and taped the cord to it. Then, I just slid it back from the handle bars toward the tank. When I got close enough, I just loosened the tank and fished it out.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Thread starter
thanks.

I was thinking how I could do it without the tank being removed.

that did cross my mind, but I like to double ck.

onward.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You have any number of options depending on what kind of connector you want. There is an accessory connector in the headlight shell you can use for switched power (there is also one in the battery area). Or you can wire directly to the battery.

You can get Powerlet outlets or a 2 wire SAE connector like chargers use, or a cigarette type outlet. And then a USB or whatever adapter.

As an example on my ST1300 I have a Powerlet outlet and adapters for a few different things. On my CB I have a 2 wire SAE connector plugged into the headlight shell accessory connector and adapters for that too. The example posted above would work on my CB.

Be aware that unless you buy the connector, pins, and a crimping tool you will either have to tap the wires or dike the connector and splice onto the wires of the accessory connector.
I am installing a cell phone and want to power it from the headlight accessory connector. What connector is the least trouble to use, you mention a "2 wire SAE". What is that and where can I get one?
 
You can buy them at any auto parts store, or I think Home Depot or Lowes and Walmart. Here is an amazon link that shows what they look like: https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-Power-Automo...184&sr=8-9

If you type SAE connector in the amazon search box a wide variety of them show up, not just the connector with unterminated wires.

Green is ground on our bikes so you will connect green to the black SAE wire and the other wire to the Red wire. Once you have the connector installed you can buy a number of accessories or adapters that will plug into it. Right now I have a voltage monitor plugged into mine. This one: [url=https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0157-Disconnect-Voltage/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PVIVLE5PPF03&keywords=sae+voltage+meter&qid=1555550695&s=gateway&sprefix=sae+voltage%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3]https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...146&sr=8-3

Or here is a USB adapter: [url=https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Smartphone/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_17?crid=332DTBAIN0Q6Y&keywords=battery+tender+cable&qid=1555550766&s=gateway&sprefix=Battery+tender%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-17]https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...32&sr=8-17
Powerlet connectors and accessories are really nice, but cost more and aren’t as available. Easy to get online. Wiring is easy as it’s still only 2 wires. I have it on my ST1300 as the original owner installed Helibar risers with the Powerlet and Ram ball option. So I have various adapters for that. Otherwise I would have installed an SAE connector and called it a day :)

Disclaimer: Although Green is ground on our bikes, there is always the possibility of a factory wiring error. Some 2014 models are wired wrong in the tail light circuit, for example. ALWAYS check the wiring with a meter to insure proper wiring.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You can buy them at any auto parts store, or I think Home Depot or Lowes and Walmart. Here is an amazon link that shows what they look like: https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-Power-Automo...184&sr=8-9

If you type SAE connector in the amazon search box a wide variety of them show up, not just the connector with unterminated wires.

Green is ground on our bikes so you will connect green to the black SAE wire and the other wire to the Red wire. Once you have the connector installed you can buy a number of accessories or adapters that will plug into it. Right now I have a voltage monitor plugged into mine. This one: [url=https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0157-Disconnect-Voltage/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PVIVLE5PPF03&keywords=sae+voltage+meter&qid=1555550695&s=gateway&sprefix=sae+voltage%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3]https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...146&sr=8-3

Or here is a USB adapter: [url=https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Smartphone/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_17?crid=332DTBAIN0Q6Y&keywords=battery+tender+cable&qid=1555550766&s=gateway&sprefix=Battery+tender%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-17]https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...32&sr=8-17
Powerlet connectors and accessories are really nice, but cost more and aren’t as available. Easy to get online. Wiring is easy as it’s still only 2 wires. I have it on my ST1300 as the original owner installed Helibar risers with the Powerlet and Ram ball option. So I have various adapters for that. Otherwise I would have installed an SAE connector and called it a day :)

Disclaimer: Although Green is ground on our bikes, there is always the possibility of a factory wiring error. Some 2014 models are wired wrong in the tail light circuit, for example. ALWAYS check the wiring with a meter to insure proper wiring.

I decided to solder the cell phone mount/charger wires directly to the auxiliary wires in the headlamp, not much room in there for connectors. Discarded the original female connector. Green is ground, black is positive.
 
Back
Top