Unhealthy Engine Knock / Noise

spakins_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Guys, was hoping to get some thoughts on this engine noise.

I have read all the engine noise threads, most of which note that air cooled bikes make more noise in general, and I agree....however the very harmful to the engine. It is coming mostly from the bottom end. I have many 4-stroke Hondas and never heard anything like this. My dealer has checked the bike out several times and claims they can't find a source for the noise.

Here is a video of my bike making the noise.


Appreciate any ideas or advice you have, and whether you'd be concerned if your bike continually made this noise.
Thanks
Phil
 
Don't want to scare you, but that dose not sound good. I would not let the service guys off with that answer .
 
My bike sounds just like this when I first start it up every time, but maybe not as loud. The sounds gets much quieter after about 30 - 60 seconds of running. Does your bike do this all the time, even after warming up? Hope you figure it out.
 
Thread starter
It usually does not do it cold. Takes about 5 mins of riding. What is weird is that it's intermittent. I'd say 25% of the time it doesn't make the noise. I emailed this video to my Honda tech. He has witnessed the noise at least twice in person. When the regional rep was visiting, they listened together but the bike wasn't making any noise. He is going to send the video to the regional guy. We'll see what happens.
 
Sounds like timing chain slap to me. Hard to tell on a video. I would park that at a dealer until it was solved. Not good things might happen if that is ridden too much.
 
My impression is it goes away when you rev the engine. Correct?

What type of oil are you using?

I would find a better service department.

I would check chain slap to start.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Thread starter
The tech said he checked the timing chain as that was his first suspicion.

It all started at the first oil change. It was early fall (600 miles) and I went to 10-40. After hearing the noise I drained it and went back to 10-30 and have stayed with that oil since.

The noise stops when I rev the bike, but I can tell the underlying issue causing the noise is present at I can feel a different vibration from the motor.

I think I am stuck with this dealer because they are the ones that documented this while within the 12 month warranty. I am not sure another dealer would want to get involved now that the bike is 24 months old.

My job changes right after I got the bike that requires a lot of travel so I don't get to ride often.
I have seen two other videos on youtube with the exact same noise. Here is one (noise starts at 2 min mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDs-JEWtS8&sns=em
And another video from a member on an older thread:

2013 CB1100 - after warm up:
[url=http://youtu.be/yLD2KCjNGyY]http://youtu.be/yLD2KCjNGyY


So it's not just my bike. The only different is that these two other folks solved their noise by going back to 10-30 Honda brand oil. That did not solve mine.
 
I can imagine how gut wrenching and frustrating this must be for you. We all buy Hondas to avoid these problems. When they crop up, are intermitent, and expensive, the dealers and manufacturers usually scatter. I wish you the best with this and hope someone steps up. The dealer should have never let that go home at 600 miles! I would have fought for a different bike. Probably would not have got one but I would have fought none the less. You deserve more from a great manufacturer like Honda.
 
Try another oil and filter change. My thinking is a lot of oil stays in the engine when doing an oil change


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Thread starter
Truly appreciate the replies.

I did two 10-30 changes in the last few hundred miles in hopes to flush is out. I might try one more.
 
I'm no expert, and I note the experience of others, but I find it very hard to believe a noise like that would be brought about by the weight of oil in the engine.

Another golden opportunity to be wrong, I guess.

I hope you solve the problem spakins
 
After 2 oil changes I would think another would make no difference.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
New tech, new dealer, get a hold of Honda. I would not accept this issue from Honda


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Dave_imp said:
My bike sounds just like this when I first start it up every time, but maybe not as loud. The sounds gets much quieter after about 30 - 60 seconds of running. Does your bike do this all the time, even after warming up? Hope you figure it out.
I went back and listened to the video again, and I was mistaken. The sound my bike makes is similar, but not identical. Also, my bike sometimes (not always) makes a similar sound on start-up, that quickly goes away. I read on another post, on this forum somewhere, that the fuel injectors make a clicking noise, and I think that is what is causing the noise on my bike. I listened closely next to the fuel injectors one time and it did sound like the sound could have been coming from that area. The sound on your bike does seem to be coming from the RH side, front of the crankcase, but maybe you can try listening closely to the fuel injectors and try to determine if the sound is coming from there? Just trying to help to eliminate as many possibilities as possible. Good luck.
See the thread under general discussions titled "Getting ready for riding season greeted by bad sounds...
 
You may want to adjust the balancer backlash. It's on page 11-13 of the '13 service manual. It's very easy to do.

Your video at 40 seconds is focused on the backlash adjustment.

Loosen the pinch bolt and then take a screwdriver and turn the shaft counter clockwise until the engine makes a whining sound (gears are too tight/backlash is too small). Then turn clockwise until the noise stops. If you continue to turn the shaft too far clockwise the engine will make a rattling noise (gears too loose/backlash is too excessive).
 
Thread starter
Thanks again for all the ideas and replies. The only other thing different I did (besides oil viscosity) is use a K&N oil filter. The tech said that there was red debris of some kind in my oil pay. He said it looked like liquid gasket or the like.

I may try, or ask the tech, to blow out my oil passages with compressed air to see if there is an intermittent block of some kind. From what I can see in the K&N filter (I saved it) there was no red material of any kind.
 
you might want to use the search engine on K&N oil filters. Quite a few of them have been tearing at the nut, and leaving members with a huge mess on the road. (Edit not to say this is causing your problem..just trying to prevent ANOTHER problem lol)
 
Strange that this didn't happen until right after an oil change. Also, the K&N filter incident we saw on here is pretty unnerving.

By all means I'm a nobody when it comes to diagnosing engine noises but the sounds I heard in the video sounds exactly like the problem I had with my TW200 that turned out to be an issue with the valves.
 
I'm with Curly on this. The noise is loudest when the camera is right at the balancer adjustment. Its easy to adjust and worth a try. Curly posted the procedure, which is just what the manual says.

IIRC, when the bikes first came out in '13, a UK member on the UK board had a balancer problem. The only one reported that I know of.
 
Spakins, you most likely have a bad cam chain tensioner and and it's easy to replace yourself in a few minutes for under 60 bucks. It's ref# 3 and a new gasket is ref # 7 in the following link:

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c1bf870021404ec5a5b/cam-chain-tensioner

It doesn't surprise me that the dealer tech didn't suggest changing it, while saying he couldn't find anything wrong. Also, I don't recommend blowing compressed air through the oil passages as you mention above.
 
Back
Top