Type of fuel.

MrJayGLA_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello everyone,
I just bought a new 2017 CB1100EX this week and I cannot see where it says in the manual what octane gas to put in. I am assuming it is at least 89 but should I go all the way up?
 
G'day MrJayGLA. Welcome.

As far as I know all the CB1100s from 2010-2016 have said they will run on the lowest octane generally available-in the US that's 89, isn't it? In Australia it's 91 RON. According to the user manual, they've also been able to cop up to 10% ethanol.

In the 2010 manual, the information is in the section headed up "MAJOR COMPONENTS". There's a section on fuel and then a page on the use of fuel containing alcohol.

I've pretty much always run the minimum-rated fuel—91 RON in Australia—and can report no ill effects. Call me stingy, but I can;t see the vaule of paying for premium when the bike's built to run on standard.
 
87 is regular in Nevada (and recommended in owner's manual)
89 is mid grade
91 is premium

In Utah, 85 is available. When I am there I buy mid grade.
 
It would be ideal without 10% ethanol...base on my research and thread somewhere, the Top Tier gas of 91 is mostly ethanol free, but not always.
I use Top Tier gas/91
 
Well it is in the owners manual, but isn’t it also on one of the stickers on the tank? Or have you already pulled them off like most of us? :)
 
LongRanger_imp said:
85 is regular grade in my area, and it works just fine.

Mr Jay, congrats on your new CB, and welcome!
At your altitude, but what if you go to the lowlands?
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
85 is regular grade in my area, and it works just fine.

Mr Jay, congrats on your new CB, and welcome!
At your altitude, but what if you go to the lowlands?
At your altitude, but what if you go to the lowlands?
That can be a problem. I topped off with 85 octane at 6,600 ft. elevation and proceeded to ride back to Phoenix (1,100 ft) on a hot summer day. I immediately noticed the knocking whenever I got hard on the throttle. It was quickly remedied by topping off with 91 octane.

The 85 octane works just fine as long as you stay at high elevations.
 
Here we use a different scale for octane index, so regular is 95 octane, and premium is 98.

I think the scale here is "RON"

In any case: ethanol content should be between 0% and 10%, and for me the lower the better. Ethanol is corrosive for most rubbers, paint, and I don't think it will do any good in the long term.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Here we use a different scale for octane index, so regular is 95 octane, and premium is 98.

I think the scale here is "RON"

In any case: ethanol content should be between 0% and 10%, and for me the lower the better. Ethanol is corrosive for most rubbers, paint, and I don't think it will do any good in the long term.
RON = Research Octane Number
MON = Motor Octane Number, about 8-12 lower than RON because of different testing methods

In the US and Canada what we see on the pumps is the average of the two numbers: (RON + MON) / 2
 
decarmine_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Here we use a different scale for octane index, so regular is 95 octane, and premium is 98.

I think the scale here is "RON"

In any case: ethanol content should be between 0% and 10%, and for me the lower the better. Ethanol is corrosive for most rubbers, paint, and I don't think it will do any good in the long term.
RON = Research Octane Number
MON = Motor Octane Number, about 8-12 lower than RON because of different testing methods

In the US and Canada what we see on the pumps is the average of the two numbers: (RON + MON) / 2
RON + JON = Surf's up, dude! :P

At my elevation, 85 is standard. I can usually get 88 ethanol-free for about 15 cents more per gallon, so that's what I try to use. No problems so far, and I've had my bike about three years.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well it is in the owners manual, but isn’t it also on one of the stickers on the tank? Or have you already pulled them off like most of us? :)
Not on the sticker. I will recheck the manual. Thanks.
LongRanger_imp said:
85 is regular grade in my area, and it works just fine.

Mr Jay, congrats on your new CB, and welcome!
Thank you, LongRanger!
Thank you, Everyone! Great responses!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well it is in the owners manual, but isn’t it also on one of the stickers on the tank? Or have you already pulled them off like most of us? :)
That is day one mod!!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well it is in the owners manual, but isn’t it also on one of the stickers on the tank? Or have you already pulled them off like most of us? :)
That is day one mod!!
That is day one mod!!
:clap: + :rofl: = :P
 
With the Moto Guzi it was almost an all day mod.
Stickers EVERYWHERE and most difficult to remove.
But, my wife's hair dryer survived.
 
Back
Top