Two Up Touring?

Supervillian_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi fellas, first time poster here...I'm looking into picking up a CB1100 as an all around bike.

I want to ask those who tour with their wives/GFs, how does the CB1100 do on long trips? I recognize seats and shocks may need to be swapped out. Is there enough room for the passenger with hard bags added? (She is about 5' 3" and 125) Have you had many complaints about comfort or about hip/legs cramping?

Love to hear what your experience is.
 
I take my daughters out regularly (well, I did before college started again) and they were always comfortable. I have Hepco & Becker hard bags that fit nicely behind their legs and supply extra hand holds as well. The stock seat is what they fuss about, and so do I :-/ I have a Corbin that is much better for all concerned. Longest I've ridden two-up is about three hours with a couple of breaks. I am 5'7", 150 and daughters are 5' nothing and 105. So we aren't a huge load. Anyhow, it rides fine without any suspension upgrades or adjustments. The motor doesn't seem to notice the second rider.
 
My wife is 5'7", around 180lbs, and after about an hour, she can't feel her legs and absolutely must get off the bike. The lack of power and small accommodations for a pillion make this a less than stellar ride for two-up, IMO. That's without any hardbags, by the way.
 
While 2 up is doable, it was not something my wife was willing to do beyond a few hours so we have a CTX1300 as well.
 
hb9400_imp said:
While 2 up is doable, it was not something my wife was willing to do beyond a few hours so we have a CTX1300 as well.
check out the F6b,bought one last month,great bike maybe not as nimble as the CB.but pretty close. 150 miles without a rest stop is no problem. Kept my CB.but if I had to choose between the two would go with the F6b.
 
Hello- Last summer Lesli & I spent a couple of weeks going from Seattle to the California/Oregon boarder on 101. I had relocated the rear turn signals, after studying Forum knowledge on the subject, and used soft saddlebags, a tail bag, and a monstrous tank bag (not recommended). Lesli is 5'-5" and 115lbs ish. She likes to sit on padding that raises her 3"-4". The passenger foot peg is too high for her knees to feel good without the seat hight adjustment. She could also see more than the back of my helmet. I'm 5'-9" and 200lbs ish, and we had lots of gear (including a trumpet) but the bike handled great! Even with lots of wind. We didn't really do much more than three hour rides though.

Jon Z
 
A Russell Day Long king queen seat would address the seating problems (and look terrible - but hey, bums rule!).

Folks would ride two up on the old 750's all the time and these bikes are years ahead of those bikes. That said, there are better choices for two up touring than the CB1100. Alas, they will probably not be as good of an all around bike as the 1100.
 
SuperV: Welcome! I think it would be worthwhile for those with two up experience replying to you to know what you consider "long" trips. I bought the CB1100 as a SOLO rider for use as a short day-to-day commuter and once or twice a month during the summer use it as a naked sport tourer. I've never used it as a two-up touring machine so my input has somewhat limited value here. At 6'0 foot even/240 +/- I use almost 3/4's of the seat surface for fore/aft movement during those 2-3 day 300-750 mile roundtrip weekends to help alleviate discomfort in the hips/knees brought on by injuries/age. I cant imagine trying to sit pretty much in the same position on this bike for that distance because of my partner behind me and not being able to change positions at will to adjust for discomfort (mind you, I'm still pretty flexible). Also, I've read several threads on this site were folks complain about wind force on their chest at freeway speed. Can't say I ever had that problem and I ride 80 mph frequently out west here. I put a Dart Fly screen on and didn't notice much difference (it does keep the instrument cluster clean from bugs and provides a place to stash gloves). The CB1100 does a lot of things really well. It will function in the 2-up distance tourer mode if you want it to but it's probably not its strong suit (especially the 2013 Standards which have almost a gallon less fuel capacity than the 2014's and one less gear that would come in handy during long distance slab riding). I think Hillbilly has a recommendation worth considering...Honda F6B's seem like the ticket for what you might have in mind, especially the 13's, they're currently being sold for around $15K new (as much as $6K off the original retail asking price). A bump up in cost for sure over the CB but a CB at $7K is no steal if you and your partner aren't happy/comfortable on your rides.*

* This input is coming from someone who REALLY loves his CB1100 but is willing to accept that it's not perfect in every role...
 
Supervillian_imp said:
Hi fellas, first time poster here...I'm looking into picking up a CB1100 as an all around bike.

I want to ask those who tour with their wives/GFs, how does the CB1100 do on long trips? I recognize seats and shocks may need to be swapped out. Is there enough room for the passenger with hard bags added? (She is about 5' 3" and 125) Have you had many complaints about comfort or about hip/legs cramping?

Love to hear what your experience is.
My wife rides her own bike. My girlfriend, on the other hand.......
 
My wife used to be more comfortable on my VFR800 because it vibrates less, and the seat (admitted it's a Corbin) is more comfortable. However, since I added a trunk with a back rest to the CB1100 she prefers the CB1100 because she used to wear a back pack on the VFR800. However, she still complains about being uncomfortable on any ride over 1 hour on the CB1100 whereas 2 hour rides on the VFR were never a problem. I know these don't sound like "long" rides, but ever since she injured her back she can't do any long trips. She rode from San Diego to Monterey, San Francisco, Yosemite and home twice, but not any more. She's 5' 7", 117 lbs. BTY - still have the VFR.
 
Thread starter
Jon Z...are you sure the tank bag is too big? heh heh

For long distance rides, I'm thinking 8-9 hour days, but stepping off the bike about every hour to stretch, gas up, or look at something interesting. (although when I'm riding with my buds we only step off for gas and BBQ). For the east coasters, mainly in the WV, SW VA areas and down into the Smokies.

Thanks for all the responses...sounds like it can be made somewhat comfortable for the passenger, but won't compare to a bike made for touring.
 
Supervillian_imp said:
Jon Z...are you sure the tank bag is too big? heh heh

For long distance rides, I'm thinking 8-9 hour days, but stepping off the bike about every hour to stretch, gas up, or look at something interesting. (although when I'm riding with my buds we only step off for gas and BBQ). For the east coasters, mainly in the WV, SW VA areas and down into the Smokies.

Thanks for all the responses...sounds like it can be made somewhat comfortable for the passenger, but won't compare to a bike made for touring.
Well stated.
 
Supervillian_imp said:
Jon Z...are you sure the tank bag is too big? heh heh

For long distance rides, I'm thinking 8-9 hour days, but stepping off the bike about every hour to stretch, gas up, or look at something interesting. (although when I'm riding with my buds we only step off for gas and BBQ). For the east coasters, mainly in the WV, SW VA areas and down into the Smokies.

Thanks for all the responses...sounds like it can be made somewhat comfortable for the passenger, but won't compare to a bike made for touring.
Each persons comfort level is different depending on age, size, and experience. My wife and I toured from Ohio to the Smokies/North Carolina on an RD 350 in 1974. Look at one of those and think riding 2 up (and we carried camping gear). But we were 24 and 22 then and weighed just over 200 pounds combined. In 1977 we rode from Ohio to Florida two up on a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000, a bike virtually identical to the CB1100 in size and power, and it had a Vetter fairing on it and hard bags. It was a marvelous mount for us, and made a great touring platform. We also rode 2 up from Ohio to Louisiana on a naked CB750 Nighthawk with her wearing a back pack full of our spare clothes. But.... the CB1100 would not be my (or my wife's) first choice for a 2 up touring mount these days. Since we are now in our early 60's close to 200 pounds each, we have a Honda ST 1300 that gets those duties now. However if you and your wife are short skinny 20 somethings, it may indeed be a great 2 up bike for you.

I do BTW, even at my advanced age and weight, find it a perfectly acceptable solo touring mount with a small shield and some soft luggage, and would not hesitate to ride it as you suggest 8-9 hours days with some gas/butt rub breaks, anywhere solo.
 
Supervillian_imp said:
Jon Z...are you sure the tank bag is too big? heh heh

For long distance rides, I'm thinking 8-9 hour days, but stepping off the bike about every hour to stretch, gas up, or look at something interesting. (although when I'm riding with my buds we only step off for gas and BBQ). For the east coasters, mainly in the WV, SW VA areas and down into the Smokies.

Thanks for all the responses...sounds like it can be made somewhat comfortable for the passenger, but won't compare to a bike made for touring.
Gas and BBQ?? Let me know when you are ready to ride!
Bob in Springfield
 
Back
Top