Two-Up Motorcycle of Choice

MinneapolisCB_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I find myself needing to find a more comfortable bike to ride with my wife. She used to ride her CBR500R, but can no longer do so for medical reasons. The CB1100 just doesn't have enough room or support for our 350 combined pounds, so it is time to acquire a dedicated two-up machine.

At this point, I'm debating between the Indian Springfield, Harley Road King, and Honda Valkyrie. I test rode a Springfield and was pleasantly surprised by its smooth ride and handling. The Harley seems like a similar alternative. The Valkyrie seems like it could offer similar comfort with more power.

For those of you that appreciate the beauty and quality of the CB1100, what is your preferred motorcycle for two-up riding?
 
Doesn't sound like you are talking riding across the country because you neglected the BMW 1600, The Honda Goldwing, the BMW R1200RT, the Yamaha FJR. Looks like you are talking local cruising because all you mentioned were cruisers. Don't know much about the Indian, but the Harley and Valkrie (Goldwing motor) have well deserved reputations for dependability. There are some smoking deals going on Valkries right now. Forum member use2be just bought one brand new for about $8k I think..maybe less.The Harley will probably run you in the neighborhood of $25 K if bought new, then another couple $K for chrome and clothes lol. (just kidding). You might have a look at the Honda Goldwing Tour also the Yamaha Eluder, a big V twin like the Road King.

Personally I'm not much of a V Twin guy, especially big heavy V Twins, so the Indian and Harley and Yamaha Eluder would not be in the running for me,(which is why I bought an inline 4 Yamaha FJR 1300 for our 2 up riding), but maybe you are a V twin guy? If you buy the HD or Indian no doubt there would be plenty of people to ride with, particularly if you bought the HD.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Doesn't sound like you are talking riding across the country because you neglected the BMW 1600, The Honda Goldwing, the BMW R1200RT, the Yamaha FJR. Looks like you are talking local cruising because all you mentioned were cruisers. Don't know much about the Indian, but the Harley and Valkrie (Goldwing motor) have well deserved reputations for dependability. There are some smoking deals going on Valkries right now. Forum member use2be just bought one brand new for about $8k I think..maybe less.The Harley will probably run you in the neighborhood of $25 K if bought new, then another couple $K for chrome and clothes lol. (just kidding). You might have a look at the Honda Goldwing Tour also the Yamaha Eluder, a big V twin like the Road King.

Personally I'm not much of a V Twin guy, especially big heavy V Twins, so the Indian and Harley and Yamaha Eluder would not be in the running for me,(which is why I bought an inline 4 Yamaha FJR 1300 for our 2 up riding), but maybe you are a V twin guy? If you buy the HD or Indian no doubt there would be plenty of people to ride with, particularly if you bought the HD.
I am definitely not learning towards a v-twin, but am considering the possibility for the sake of comfort and style. Being surrounded by v-twins in the Midwest, I appreciate how carefully you worded that! :thumbsup: My wife is from Oregon and is generally v-twin averse, but she likes the beauty of the Indian line-up. I personally prefer an engine with a larger RPM range as well.

Anything from the Japanese big 4 is a possibility, including the FJR. My only concern about it or any other large 4 cylinder is the engine heat in stop and go traffic. If the heat is similar or less than the CB1100, it could work wonderfully.

A full-size touring bike like the Gold Wing, Eluder, Roadmaster, etc. is more than my wife can handle at this point. She's not that far removed from riding her R1, so she's not emotionally ready to go that far. We generally use the bike for weekend excursions, so we don't need cross country luggage capacity.
 
One key consideration will be the bike's GVWR. Some of the Honda models I've considered in the past had surprisingly moderate GVWR ratings, notably the ST1300 and Gold Wing. It seemed that two normal-sized adults plus luggage would easily exceed either bike's GVWR, which could result in a safety issue. Despite owning a few BMW's, I'm not loyal to the brand but they generally have relatively high GVWR's, so it may be something to consider. My ex-Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 also had a high GVWR and was plenty roomy and powerful when carrying a pillion and gear. I'm not sure about the cruiser models you cited.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
One key consideration will be the bike's GVWR. Some of the Honda models I've considered in the past had surprisingly moderate GVWR ratings, notably the ST1300 and Gold Wing. It seemed that two normal-sized adults plus luggage would easily exceed either bike's GVWR, which could result in a safety issue. Despite owning a few BMW's, I'm not loyal to the brand but they generally have relatively high GVWR's, so it may be something to consider. My ex-Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 also had a high GVWR and was plenty roomy and powerful when carrying a pillion and gear. I'm not sure about the cruiser models you cited.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
 
Honda always has ridiculously low GVWR. My wife and I were overloaded on the ST every time we rode it, and we are not large people. Ii haven't even checked GVWR on the CB or FJR for that matter. Whatever it is we are going to ride regardless.
 
MinneapolisCB_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
One key consideration will be the bike's GVWR. Some of the Honda models I've considered in the past had surprisingly moderate GVWR ratings, notably the ST1300 and Gold Wing. It seemed that two normal-sized adults plus luggage would easily exceed either bike's GVWR, which could result in a safety issue. Despite owning a few BMW's, I'm not loyal to the brand but they generally have relatively high GVWR's, so it may be something to consider. My ex-Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 also had a high GVWR and was plenty roomy and powerful when carrying a pillion and gear. I'm not sure about the cruiser models you cited.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
I know most on here are Harley adverse but they have their plusses, first and foremost is dealer support. Pretty much anywhere in America you are never more than 1 hour from a Harley shop, not so much with other brands. Dealer accessibility is the main reason Harley won out over BMW when I bought my '03 Night Train.

As for exceeding the GVWR - you've seen some of the people that ride Harleys right?

My recommendation would be the new 2018 Softtail Sport Glide.
 
Thread starter
Banned_imp said:
MinneapolisCB_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
One key consideration will be the bike's GVWR. Some of the Honda models I've considered in the past had surprisingly moderate GVWR ratings, notably the ST1300 and Gold Wing. It seemed that two normal-sized adults plus luggage would easily exceed either bike's GVWR, which could result in a safety issue. Despite owning a few BMW's, I'm not loyal to the brand but they generally have relatively high GVWR's, so it may be something to consider. My ex-Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 also had a high GVWR and was plenty roomy and powerful when carrying a pillion and gear. I'm not sure about the cruiser models you cited.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
I know most on here are Harley adverse but they have their plusses, first and foremost is dealer support. Pretty much anywhere in America you are never more than 1 hour from a Harley shop, not so much with other brands. Dealer accessibility is the main reason Harley won out over BMW when I bought my '03 Night Train.

As for exceeding the GVWR - you've seen some of the people that ride Harleys right?

My recommendation would be the new 2018 Softtail Sport Glide.
Yes, around here at least 80% of the motorcycles I meet are Harleys. They can obviously handle a load! For the record, the Mrs. and I are only 350 pounds combined, so that isn't a key constraint in this situation. :banana:
 
I'd look at the new Goldwing...in fact, I'd probably look at the Goldwing with DCT The bike feels much smaller than it is. We don't have the money, but if we did, I think that my wife would be looking at one for her own bike. (She says "no", but that's the accountant in her talking, I think).
 
MinneapolisCB_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
MinneapolisCB_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
One key consideration will be the bike's GVWR. Some of the Honda models I've considered in the past had surprisingly moderate GVWR ratings, notably the ST1300 and Gold Wing. It seemed that two normal-sized adults plus luggage would easily exceed either bike's GVWR, which could result in a safety issue. Despite owning a few BMW's, I'm not loyal to the brand but they generally have relatively high GVWR's, so it may be something to consider. My ex-Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 also had a high GVWR and was plenty roomy and powerful when carrying a pillion and gear. I'm not sure about the cruiser models you cited.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
That is an excellent tip for a statistic that isn't as widely published as it should be. That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the Africa Twin, but I just discovered the Valkyrie is slightly worse.
I know most on here are Harley adverse but they have their plusses, first and foremost is dealer support. Pretty much anywhere in America you are never more than 1 hour from a Harley shop, not so much with other brands. Dealer accessibility is the main reason Harley won out over BMW when I bought my '03 Night Train.

As for exceeding the GVWR - you've seen some of the people that ride Harleys right?

My recommendation would be the new 2018 Softtail Sport Glide.
Yes, around here at least 80% of the motorcycles I meet are Harleys. They can obviously handle a load! For the record, the Mrs. and I are only 350 pounds combined, so that isn't a key constraint in this situation. :banana:
Yes, around here at least 80% of the motorcycles I meet are Harleys. They can obviously handle a load! For the record, the Mrs. and I are only 350 pounds combined, so that isn't a key constraint in this situation. :banana:
FWIW - my wife and I (same combined weight as you) once took our '03 Softtail Nighttrain on a 4 week, 14,000 trip with camping gear.
 
I prefer the Japanese bikes for their sophisticated engineering and broad dealer support network. After several BMW’s I soured on them, not sure if it’s me or them but it’s my money so no more BMWs.
Never been a big fan of Harley in particular or V-Twins in general but I completely agree with your point of dealer and service support everywhere in continental North America. A well sorted Harley is a good solid bike, we all know the legendary short comings of the brand but they do have significant benefits also. Lots of barely ridden used ones available at realistic prices. Bit of well researched upgrades and you have a keeper.
Indian interesting but not ready for prime time yet, very good bikes that “nickel and dime” you to death getting outfitted and sparse support.
Your money, your choice. I’d really prefer a solid sports tourer but would ride a Harley, then again my mother did marry my father and she didn’t spend a lot of time in jail.
 
My two-up choice is my Suzuki Burgman 650 with a topcase. It has a FI 650 parallel twin with enough power to get us over the mountains or blasting down the interstate with ease. The back seat is big enough that I can't even tell she's back there and with a topcase to lean back against she doesn't have to hold on.

I know a big maxi scooter isn't probably something on most peoples radar but I love it. With the topcase and huge underseat storage there's plenty of room for everything we need. The best part is you can pick them up for cheap. I paid $2500 for my 2006 with 12k miles.

 
tnelson99_imp said:
My two-up choice is my Suzuki Burgman 650 with a topcase. It has a FI 650 parallel twin with enough power to get us over the mountains or blasting down the interstate with ease. The back seat is big enough that I can't even tell she's back there and with a topcase to lean back against she doesn't have to hold on.

I know a big maxi scooter isn't probably something on most peoples radar but I love it. With the topcase and huge underseat storage there's plenty of room for everything we need. The best part is you can pick them up for cheap. I paid $2500 for my 2006 with 12k miles.
Every time i see one of these suckers on the highway i get a chub. Have you ever ridden the 400?
 
i'm totally shocked at what a good idea that burgman seems to be. my initial reaction is "but it's so slow for a 650..." and then i realize what an idiot i am because your typical two-up riding isn't exactly a track day. a big scooter like that would have pretty awesome comfort and ergos *and* gas mileage compared to your average motorcycle. i guess the only drawback is you don't get to be the coolest kid at the mall parking lot, but who gives a crap??

A+ excellent outsider suggestion.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i'm totally shocked at what a good idea that burgman seems to be. my initial reaction is "but it's so slow for a 650..." and then i realize what an idiot i am because your typical two-up riding isn't exactly a track day. a big scooter like that would have pretty awesome comfort and ergos *and* gas mileage compared to your average motorcycle. i guess the only drawback is you don't get to be the coolest kid at the mall parking lot, but who gives a crap??

A+ excellent outsider suggestion.
I think one of the best attributes of a scooter especially the burgman.. is the position of the legs width wise. The narrowness of the seat would be wonderful on a long trip.

Plus 50 liters of underseat storage and the massive back seat for a passenger. Crazy amount of leg/foot positions as well, stock right off the bat.
 
Dude_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i'm totally shocked at what a good idea that burgman seems to be. my initial reaction is "but it's so slow for a 650..." and then i realize what an idiot i am because your typical two-up riding isn't exactly a track day. a big scooter like that would have pretty awesome comfort and ergos *and* gas mileage compared to your average motorcycle. i guess the only drawback is you don't get to be the coolest kid at the mall parking lot, but who gives a crap??

A+ excellent outsider suggestion.
I think one of the best attributes of a scooter especially the burgman.. is the position of the legs width wise. The narrowness of the seat would be wonderful on a long trip.

Plus 50 liters of underseat storage and the massive back seat for a passenger. Crazy amount of leg/foot positions as well, stock right off the bat.
I think one of the best attributes of a scooter especially the burgman.. is the position of the legs width wise. The narrowness of the seat would be wonderful on a long trip.

Plus 50 liters of underseat storage and the massive back seat for a passenger. Crazy amount of leg/foot positions as well, stock right off the bat.
No Dude, I've never ridden the 400 but have seen a lot of positive reviews. I originally bought it to haul my mountain bike to the trails since my truck gets 15mpg. The Burgman usually gets 45-50mpg and has the same top speed of the CB (110mph). It's super comfortable with the long floorboards so you're not stuck in the same position. I can even stand up and ride it when I need to stretch.
 
Back
Top