Two RZ500

in 1979 i bought new RD 400 Daytona Special rode it on cross country trips, then in 1985 bought new RZ 350, the red/white/blue with the gold wheels. loved those bikes. rode year round in Longmont, Colorado where i commuted on them and rode through the Colorado Rockies year after year. Never did ride the V4 500 model but remember them being a thing back then. :biker: :)
 
my first street bike was RZ350! one of these days I'm going to find my photos...

btw, did you notice he said 50 ft/lbs torque? I seem to recall a spirited debate on here some years ago about 2 strokes being big torque motors... hard to call 50 ft/lbs "big"...
 
jimgl3_imp said:
my first street bike was RZ350! one of these days I'm going to find my photos...

btw, did you notice he said 50 ft/lbs torque? I seem to recall a spirited debate on here some years ago about 2 strokes being big torque motors... hard to call 50 ft/lbs "big"...
I have the original Yamaha brochure around here somewhere (for both RZ350 and 500). I'll break it out. However, the internet should have the same info.
49.9 ft-lbs of pure torque for the factory OEM RZ500N.

32.6 ft-lbs for the RZ350RN.

 
m in sc_imp said:
they aren't torquey per-say, they make higher rpm HP, but for a 350 or even a 500 2 stroke those arent bad numbers.

I believe the comment being referred to was about my t500 being torquey. and for a 2 stroke of the era (deigned in the 60's) being a piston port.. it is.. for what it is. 37 TQ/46 HP. keep in mind.. a t120 bonneville put down the same numbers 46hp and 37.8 torque. that's what they were competing with at the time. Remember to think of it all in context of the time. ;)
:thumbsup:

Although, these RZ350/500 seem sooooo long ago too. :-/ (some 35 years ago?)
 
I was born in 93 but I appreciate classic bikes. My first bike was a 93 yamaha XJ600 Seca (Diversion in Europe) - i still have it and also a 94 now. And my second bike was an 81 KZ440 LTD. (Still have that one too).

I love working and maintaining older bikes. Most guys my age have no idea how to work on a carburetor let alone the rest of the bike. I love how those bike have no computers and much less wires :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
I was born in 93 but I appreciate classic bikes. My first bike was a 93 yamaha XJ600 Seca (Diversion in Europe) - i still have it and also a 94 now. And my second bike was an 81 KZ440 LTD. (Still have that one too).

I love working and maintaining older bikes. Most guys my age have no idea how to work on a carburetor let alone the rest of the bike. I love how those bike have no computers and much less wires :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That is pretty awesome to read mvk24.

In '93 I was riding on top of elevators at 1800 meters per minute engineering a pre-torque sensor for the motor controller. Yamaha was the my preferred brand of bike of the day. I once had an '82 Seca 550.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
I was born in 93 but I appreciate classic bikes. My first bike was a 93 yamaha XJ600 Seca (Diversion in Europe) - i still have it and also a 94 now. And my second bike was an 81 KZ440 LTD. (Still have that one too).

I love working and maintaining older bikes. Most guys my age have no idea how to work on a carburetor let alone the rest of the bike. I love how those bike have no computers and much less wires :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That is pretty awesome to read mvk24.

In '93 I was riding on top of elevators at 1800 meters per minute engineering a pre-torque sensor for the motor controller. Yamaha was the my preferred brand of bike of the day. I once had an '82 Seca 550.
That is pretty awesome to read mvk24.

In '93 I was riding on top of elevators at 1800 meters per minute engineering a pre-torque sensor for the motor controller. Yamaha was the my preferred brand of bike of the day. I once had an '82 Seca 550. Sounds like a gun job! Yes that was the generation before mine, I believe the seca later turned into the Fazer

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Goldie, stop telling how old we are! LOL! I miss that little RZ350 so bad! there's nothing like a street bike you have to kick start! *big grin*
 
jimgl3_imp said:
Goldie, stop telling how old we are! LOL! I miss that little RZ350 so bad! there's nothing like a street bike you have to kick start! *big grin*
My brain is sending me 30 year-old-like messages. I am so happy I can vividly still remember these.
mvk24_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
I was born in 93 but I appreciate classic bikes. My first bike was a 93 yamaha XJ600 Seca (Diversion in Europe) - i still have it and also a 94 now. And my second bike was an 81 KZ440 LTD. (Still have that one too).

I love working and maintaining older bikes. Most guys my age have no idea how to work on a carburetor let alone the rest of the bike. I love how those bike have no computers and much less wires :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That is pretty awesome to read mvk24.

In '93 I was riding on top of elevators at 1800 meters per minute engineering a pre-torque sensor for the motor controller. Yamaha was the my preferred brand of bike of the day. I once had an '82 Seca 550.
That is pretty awesome to read mvk24.

In '93 I was riding on top of elevators at 1800 meters per minute engineering a pre-torque sensor for the motor controller. Yamaha was the my preferred brand of bike of the day. I once had an '82 Seca 550. Sounds like a gun job! Yes that was the generation before mine, I believe the seca later turned into the Fazer

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure about the Seca-to-Fazer relationship, but one thing for sure was the 1986 Yamaha Fazer had the same engine as the then coveted Yamaha FZ750. Inline-4 20 valve purebred lump-o-fun. At the time, it beat pretty well all other production 750s.



I don't recall the Seca line being able to do stuff like that, unless one is talking about the short-fated Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo.
 
I was just about to say the VMax was a beast when it came out in the 80's... they still make it! though it looks quite different...
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
I was just about to say the VMax was a beast when it came out in the 80's... they still make it! though it looks quite different...
Hear, hear to the original V-Max!

Lest not forget the predecessor who briefly reigned prior to the V-Max:

(click)


The 1982 Honda V65 Magna.

Such a gorgeous beast.

Hear, hear to the original V-Max!

Lest not forget the predecessor who briefly reigned prior to the V-Max:



The 1982 Honda V65 Magna.

Such a gorgeous beast. Magna was a nice bike, I was looking around for one a few years ago but never found the right one

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
m in sc_imp said:
vmaxes are very cool, i've ridden a few. 2 friends of mine still have 1st gen ones. did the carbs on one of them last year, not nearly as bad as people make out to do.

you put a vance and hines 4-into one on one and jet it, and it almost sounds like a little grand national car. just awesome.
Goodbye to a lot of models
 
Back
Top